Kill Bill observation (spoilers galore for both one and two)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dyuob Poltice, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Spoiler Space (I did warn you).

    Ok, first, in Vol. 1, I've found the following self references,
    there's a sign for Red Apple cigarettes, There's the car trunk scene,
    and isn't the mosquito scene supposed to conjure up memeries of that
    adrenalin filled syringe in Pulp Fiction? Are there any others? Also,
    where is the guy balancing on the sword, as shown in the trailer?
    One last thought, since her name is Beatrix, is that why they recite,
    "silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids"?
    Oh yeah, one other thing, why isn't From Dusk Till Dawn considered
    part of Tarantino's history? The ads say Kill Bill is his 4th film,
    and although he didn't direct, per se (but obviously did some
    directing). he did write and act in it.
    Also, where are the Big Kahuna burgers in Kill Bill?
    Aren't Tarantino films fun?

    Dyuob Poltice, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Dyuob Poltice

    BubbCoop Guest

    <<Oh yeah, one other thing, why isn't From Dusk Till Dawn considered
    part of Tarantino's history? The ads say Kill Bill is his 4th film,
    and although he didn't direct, per se (but obviously did some
    directing). he did write and act in it.>>

    it's obvious he's only referring to films he directed. He wouldn't want to
    count Little Nicky among "his" films just because he was in it.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000233/

    BubbCoop, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Dyuob Poltice

    Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:24:11 -0500, Dyuob Poltice <>
    wrote:

    >Spoiler Space (I did warn you).

    >Ok, first, in Vol. 1, I've found the following self references,
    >there's a sign for Red Apple cigarettes, There's the car trunk scene,
    >and isn't the mosquito scene supposed to conjure up memeries of that
    >adrenalin filled syringe in Pulp Fiction? Are there any others? Also,
    >where is the guy balancing on the sword, as shown in the trailer?
    >One last thought, since her name is Beatrix, is that why they recite,
    >"silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids"?
    >Oh yeah, one other thing, why isn't From Dusk Till Dawn considered
    >part of Tarantino's history? The ads say Kill Bill is his 4th film,
    >and although he didn't direct, per se (but obviously did some
    >directing). he did write and act in it.
    >Also, where are the Big Kahuna burgers in Kill Bill?
    >Aren't Tarantino films fun?

    Pai Mei balances on The Bride's sword shortly after she's taken to
    train with him in Vol. 2. If you get a chance, watch the collector's
    edition of Pulp Fiction with the popover commentaries. You pick up
    some interesting stuff that you may have missed even if you've watched
    it dozens of times. Didn't Hatori Hanzo sell Kahuna Burgers and
    Sprite in his sushi shop? JUST kidding.

    , Apr 19, 2004
  4. Dyuob Poltice

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > Ok, first, in Vol. 1, I've found the following self references,
    > there's a sign for Red Apple cigarettes, There's the car trunk scene,
    > and isn't the mosquito scene supposed to conjure up memeries of that
    > adrenalin filled syringe in Pulp Fiction? Are there any others? Also,

    The sunglasses Buck had in his pocket are just like the ones Clarence wore
    in "True Romance." That movie also discussed Sonny Chiba, who stars in KBv1.

    The long shot of Sofie's car toward the end is also reminscent of the long
    shot of the car in "Jackie Brown."

    There was a samurai sword in "Pulp Fiction" :)

    > where is the guy balancing on the sword, as shown in the trailer?
    > One last thought, since her name is Beatrix, is that why they recite,
    > "silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids"?

    Not only that, but Bill calls her "kiddo" in the opening, which was her last
    name.

    > Oh yeah, one other thing, why isn't From Dusk Till Dawn considered
    > part of Tarantino's history? The ads say Kill Bill is his 4th film,
    > and although he didn't direct, per se (but obviously did some
    > directing). he did write and act in it.

    He didn't direct it though; same reason "True Romance" and "Natural Born
    Killers" aren't considered Tarantino films. I'd say TR and FDTD are part of
    the "Tarantinoverse," if you want to call it that.

    > Also, where are the Big Kahuna burgers in Kill Bill?

    Didn't see any. They've only been in two of his films (FDTD and PF).

    > Aren't Tarantino films fun?

    Definitely.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/killbillvol1.php

    Mike Jackson, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Dyuob Poltice

    WinningerR Guest

    >>>He didn't direct it though; same reason "True Romance" and "Natural Born
    Killers" aren't considered Tarantino films. I'd say TR and FDTD are part of
    the "Tarantinoverse," if you want to call it that.<<<

    Explicitly so. The sheriff Michael Parks plays in KB is the same sheriff he
    played in FDTD. Mr. White discusses Alabama (the heroine of TR) in Reservoir
    Dogs.

    WinningerR, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Dyuob Poltice

    The General Guest

    "Dyuob Poltice" <> wrote in message
    > Spoiler Space (I did warn you).

    > Ok, first, in Vol. 1, I've found the following self references,
    > there's a sign for Red Apple cigarettes, There's the car trunk scene,
    > and isn't the mosquito scene supposed to conjure up memeries of that
    > adrenalin filled syringe in Pulp Fiction? Are there any others? Also,
    > where is the guy balancing on the sword, as shown in the trailer?
    > One last thought, since her name is Beatrix, is that why they recite,
    > "silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids"?
    > Oh yeah, one other thing, why isn't From Dusk Till Dawn considered
    > part of Tarantino's history? The ads say Kill Bill is his 4th film,
    > and although he didn't direct, per se (but obviously did some
    > directing). he did write and act in it.
    > Also, where are the Big Kahuna burgers in Kill Bill?
    > Aren't Tarantino films fun?

    You must be the director to get 'a film by..' or 'a ... film' credit before
    the title. This is based on the principle that the director is the primary
    author of a film.

    And yeah, I'd say that's exactly the reason behind the Trix reference.

    The General, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Dyuob Poltice

    Ollie T Guest

    I would say that True Romance definately feels like a Tarantino movie. More
    so than From Dusk till Dawn. Oh ya, the cop from KB Vol. 1 is the same one
    on From Dusk till Dawn. As for the guy jumping on the sword, watch Vol. 2.
    I wonder what happened to Michael Jai White's fight scenes. He is on the
    trailers but does not show up in V1 or 2.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Apr 20, 2004
  8. On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Dyuob Poltice wrote:

    > Spoiler Space (I did warn you).

    > One last thought, since her name is Beatrix, is that why they recite,
    > "silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids"?

    Well, it beats calling her Fruit Brute.

    swac
    Although as you'll notice in Vol. 2, her preference is for Lucky Charms.

    Stephen Cooke, Apr 27, 2004