    latter was the cheaper option, so that's what people seemed to go for.

    * Gates' infamous remark that "640 kilobytes ought to be enough for anybody"
    was taken out of context.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 31, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    news:f8muja$uiu$...

    > * The idea that Gary Kildall was out flying when IBM came around looking
    > license an OS for their PC, so they went to Bill Gates instead. In fact,
    > IBM licensed both CP/M and MS-DOS (which they called PC-DOS). But the
    > latter was the cheaper option, so that's what people seemed to go for.

    I'm sorry, I like that story too much to allow you to debunk it, even if
    it's not true.
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 31, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <f8muja$uiu$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > Came across this item <http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/3539>
    > by Guy Kewney, who has been around long enough to known the truth behind
    > some popular myths.
    >
    > * The idea that Gary Kildall was out flying when IBM came around looking to
    > license an OS for their PC, so they went to Bill Gates instead. In fact,
    > IBM licensed both CP/M and MS-DOS (which they called PC-DOS). But the
    > latter was the cheaper option, so that's what people seemed to go for.
    >
    > * Gates' infamous remark that "640 kilobytes ought to be enough for anybody"
    > was taken out of context.

    the other was that Kildall was a womaniser who was entertaining the wife
    of a IMB executive and was never going to get the offer while Bills Mum
    was well connected.
    whoisthis, Aug 1, 2007
  4. In <f8muja$uiu$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Came across this item <http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/
    > 3539> by Guy Kewney, who has been around long enough to known the
    > truth behind some popular myths.
    >
    > * The idea that Gary Kildall was out flying when IBM came around
    > looking to license an OS for their PC, so they went to Bill Gates
    > instead. In fact, IBM licensed both CP/M and MS-DOS (which they called
    > PC-DOS). But the latter was the cheaper option, so that's what people
    > seemed to go for.

    There was also the little matter of CP/M-86 not being available from IBM
    until several months AFTER the IBM PC went on sale. So all the early IBM
    PCs were running PC-DOS, and all the early software was written for PC-
    DOS, so naturally most of the subsequent customers would have opted for
    PC-DOS even if it had been the same price as CP/M-86.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Aug 1, 2007