    would like to enable it, if possible.

    Thanks,

    -- Wayne.
    wayne, Apr 13, 2009

  2. wayne wrote:
    > Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    > visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    > them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora 10
    > which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
    > would like to enable it, if possible.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -- Wayne.

    plugin or add-on: no, not really.

    There are a few options, such as the Porn HOSTS files
    which you can obtain from here: http://hostsfile.mine.nu/

    You can also look into something like net-nanny:
    http://www.netnanny.com/

    or cyber patrol: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/

    or other sites like: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/

    or best of all, have trust in your kids.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 13, 2009

  3. wayne

    Rom Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:39:33 GMT, wayne wrote:

    > Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    > visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    > them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora 10
    > which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
    > would like to enable it, if possible.

    I've never used it but have a look at:
    KidZui <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9689>

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Apr 13, 2009
  4. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:21:25 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > wayne wrote:
    >> Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    >> visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    >> them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora
    >> 10 which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
    >> would like to enable it, if possible.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> -- Wayne.

    > plugin or add-on: no, not really.
    >
    > There are a few options, such as the Porn HOSTS files which you can
    > obtain from here: http://hostsfile.mine.nu/
    >
    > You can also look into something like net-nanny:
    > http://www.netnanny.com/
    >
    > or cyber patrol: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    >
    > or other sites like: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    >
    > or best of all, have trust in your kids.

    Those don't quite do what I need. Thanks.
    wayne, Apr 13, 2009
  5. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:27:27 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> wayne wrote:
    >>> Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    >>> visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    >>> them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora
    >>> 10 which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids
    >>> but would like to enable it, if possible.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> -- Wayne.

    >> plugin or add-on: no, not really.
    >>
    >> There are a few options, such as the Porn HOSTS files which you can
    >> obtain from here: http://hostsfile.mine.nu/
    >>
    >> You can also look into something like net-nanny:
    >> http://www.netnanny.com/
    >>
    >> or cyber patrol: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    >>
    >> or other sites like: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    >>
    >> or best of all, have trust in your kids.
    >>

    > Love them. Respect them. Teach them. Guide them. Do NOT trust them.
    >
    > They are kids. They're probably smarter about computers than you are.
    > If not, they have friends who are and will help them defeat whatever
    > blocks you put on their systems.
    >
    > They are genetically geared at that age to push their boundaries (the
    > ones you set) but don't have the survival instincts to understand the
    > consequences of what they're doing. Their brains won't stop developing
    > physiologically until they are in their twenties.
    >
    > Trust? Not hardly.

    It's not really a matter of trust. Click on the wrong link and bam, hard
    core abounds. I need something that prevents xxx sites from loading.
    Thanks.
    wayne, Apr 13, 2009
  6. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:40:21 +1000, Rom wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:39:33 GMT, wayne wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    >> visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    >> them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora
    >> 10 which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
    >> would like to enable it, if possible.

    > I've never used it but have a look at: KidZui
    > <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9689>

    Comments say that it is Windows based. I'm on Linux. Thanks.
    wayne, Apr 13, 2009
  7. wayne

    Rom Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:35:39 GMT, wayne wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:40:21 +1000, Rom wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:39:33 GMT, wayne wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    >>> visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    >>> them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora
    >>> 10 which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
    >>> would like to enable it, if possible.

    >> I've never used it but have a look at: KidZui
    >> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9689>

    > Comments say that it is Windows based. I'm on Linux. Thanks.

    See the comment by "cliffboro" on February 17, 2009 here:
    <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/reviews/display/9689>
    and from <http://www.kidzui.com/help>:
    <http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-14285969/cmd/kbresource/kb-7400324049766694169/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=linux&sf=101113&sg=1&st=593299&documentid=348679&action=view>
    <http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-14285969/cmd/kbresource/kb-7400324049766694169/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=linux&sf=101113&st=593299&documentid=356893&action=view>

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Apr 13, 2009
  8. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:08:29 +1000, Rom wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:35:39 GMT, wayne wrote:

    >>> I've never used it but have a look at: KidZui
    >>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9689>

    >> Comments say that it is Windows based. I'm on Linux. Thanks.

    > See the comment by "cliffboro" on February 17, 2009 here:
    > <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/reviews/display/9689> and from
    > <http://www.kidzui.com/help>:
    > <http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-14285969/cmd/kbresource/

    kb-7400324049766694169/view_question!PAGETYPE?
    sq=linux&sf=101113&sg=1&st=593299&documentid=348679&action=view>
    > <http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-14285969/cmd/kbresource/

    kb-7400324049766694169/view_question!PAGETYPE?
    sq=linux&sf=101113&st=593299&documentid=356893&action=view>

    Thanks. I'll give a try.
    wayne, Apr 13, 2009
  9. wayne

    yogi22 Guest

    On Apr 13, 11:13 am, Porter Smith <> wrote:
    > wayne <> wrote in news:VtyEl.12103$jZ1.4009
    > @flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:
    >
    > > Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    > > visited?  I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    > > them to go online safely without close supervision.  I'm using fedora 10
    > > which allows multiple users.  I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
    > > would like to enable it, if possible.

    > > Thanks,

    > > -- Wayne.

    > Move the PC from the kid's bedroom to the family room.
    >
    > Routinely check the browser history to see where they have been. Discuss
    > why some sites are inappropriate.  If they re-offend, suspend browser
    > priv's  for a week.

    Funny this topic should come up today, as I have just been amending a
    young friend's computer to minimize the various threats to his moral
    well being. I certainly agree with Porter that the computer should be
    in a public area.

    I have been using K9 Web Protection for this purpose. I had previously
    installed it on his computer, but he is a cunning devil. He disabled
    the HighSpeed somehow, then told his mother that he needed the
    password to get it going again. On the usually valid assumption that
    people use one password for everything, he then successfully
    uninstalled the program, using the password his mother had given him.

    The young are smart, but we older folk (especially those at K9) know a
    thing or two as well. As soon as he uninstalled the program, K9 sent
    an email to my registration address informing that the program had
    been uninstalled. It is now back on, with a password that I am not
    revealing to his mother.

    The program runs unobtrusively, and seems to work. I tried visiting
    warez sites and googling some words referring to various body parts
    and activities thereof, and was stymied every time. You can set
    various levels of filtering, including custom. You can allow
    exceptions, temporarily or permanently. For example, I am using the
    Default which blocks social networking sites. His mother has approved
    Facebook, so I programmed in an exception. Should he not behave
    properly, it's very easy to cut off Facebook (at least on his
    computer).

    http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
    kk
    yogi22, Apr 13, 2009
  10. wayne

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to wayne:

    > On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:27:27 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> plugin or add-on: no, not really.
    >>>
    >>> There are a few options, such as the Porn HOSTS files which you can
    >>> obtain from here: http://hostsfile.mine.nu/
    >>>
    >>> You can also look into something like net-nanny:
    >>> http://www.netnanny.com/
    >>>
    >>> or cyber patrol: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    >>>
    >>> or other sites like: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    >>>
    >>> or best of all, have trust in your kids.
    >>>

    >> Love them. Respect them. Teach them. Guide them. Do NOT trust them.
    >>
    >> They are kids. They're probably smarter about computers than you are.
    >> If not, they have friends who are and will help them defeat whatever
    >> blocks you put on their systems.
    >>
    >> They are genetically geared at that age to push their boundaries (the
    >> ones you set) but don't have the survival instincts to understand the
    >> consequences of what they're doing. Their brains won't stop developing
    >> physiologically until they are in their twenties.
    >>
    >> Trust? Not hardly.

    > It's not really a matter of trust. Click on the wrong link and bam,
    > hard core abounds. I need something that prevents xxx sites from

    I notice on another reply, you're using Linux.

    Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use your
    main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter any
    machines behind it through that?

    I'm thinking about /etc/hosts style filtering where you could keep an
    up2date list of URLs to redirect into the void.

    Either that, or dump your ISP and get an AOL style portal service?

    On the downside, kids will see stuff you wouldn't want them to anyway, if
    they want to, as their friends will surely have mobile phones etc. and a
    viral peer group network.

    Maybe monitoring, followed by subtle persuasion in the form of a "risk of
    severe embarrassment if dad finds out about this" regime? Hints that you
    have plenty of disk space for logs, and can get copies from your ISP at
    any time, and so on. Let 'em know they are not in any way going to sneak
    anything past you.

    If done with minimum fuss, it could help form a bond of trust that will
    probably be far more productive in the long run than attempting a techno-
    battle with creatures way faster than you with today's technology.

    --
    *===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    Mike Jones, Apr 13, 2009
  11. wayne

    yogi22 Guest

    On Apr 13, 6:55 pm, Mike Jones <> wrote:
    > Responding to wayne:
    >
    > Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use your
    > main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter any
    > machines behind it through that?

    Open DNS does this. You access Open DNS by customizing your router
    settings. I understand that Open DNS is well regarded and you can
    customize the filtering. As a bonus, it is supposed to speed up your
    connections.

    http://www.opendns.com/
    kk
    yogi22, Apr 14, 2009
  12. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:26:05 -0700, yogi22 wrote:

    > On Apr 13, 11:13 am, Porter Smith <> wrote:
    >> wayne <> wrote in news:VtyEl.12103$jZ1.4009
    >> @flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:
    >>
    >> > Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    >> > visited?  I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to
    >> > allow them to go online safely without close supervision.  I'm using
    >> > fedora 10 which allows multiple users.  I've disabled Firefox for the
    >> > kids but would like to enable it, if possible.

    >> > Thanks,

    >> > -- Wayne.

    >> Move the PC from the kid's bedroom to the family room.
    >>
    >> Routinely check the browser history to see where they have been.
    >> Discuss why some sites are inappropriate.  If they re-offend, suspend
    >> browser priv's  for a week.

    > Funny this topic should come up today, as I have just been amending a
    > young friend's computer to minimize the various threats to his moral
    > well being. I certainly agree with Porter that the computer should be in
    > a public area.
    >
    > I have been using K9 Web Protection for this purpose. I had previously
    > installed it on his computer, but he is a cunning devil. He disabled the
    > HighSpeed somehow, then told his mother that he needed the password to
    > get it going again. On the usually valid assumption that people use one
    > password for everything, he then successfully uninstalled the program,
    > using the password his mother had given him.
    >
    > The young are smart, but we older folk (especially those at K9) know a
    > thing or two as well. As soon as he uninstalled the program, K9 sent an
    > email to my registration address informing that the program had been
    > uninstalled. It is now back on, with a password that I am not revealing
    > to his mother.
    >
    > The program runs unobtrusively, and seems to work. I tried visiting
    > warez sites and googling some words referring to various body parts and
    > activities thereof, and was stymied every time. You can set various
    > levels of filtering, including custom. You can allow exceptions,
    > temporarily or permanently. For example, I am using the Default which
    > blocks social networking sites. His mother has approved Facebook, so I
    > programmed in an exception. Should he not behave properly, it's very
    > easy to cut off Facebook (at least on his computer).
    >
    > http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
    > kk

    Let me know when it is available on my 64-bit linux box. What I need is
    a way to block inappropriate sites for individual users.
    wayne, Apr 14, 2009
  13. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:55:33 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

    > Responding to wayne:

    >>> Love them. Respect them. Teach them. Guide them. Do NOT trust
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> They are kids. They're probably smarter about computers than you are.
    >>> If not, they have friends who are and will help them defeat whatever
    >>> blocks you put on their systems.
    >>>
    >>> They are genetically geared at that age to push their boundaries (the
    >>> ones you set) but don't have the survival instincts to understand the
    >>> consequences of what they're doing. Their brains won't stop
    >>> developing physiologically until they are in their twenties.
    >>>
    >>> Trust? Not hardly.

    >> It's not really a matter of trust. Click on the wrong link and bam,
    >> hard core abounds. I need something that prevents xxx sites from

    > I notice on another reply, you're using Linux.
    >
    > Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use
    > your main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter any
    > machines behind it through that?
    >
    > I'm thinking about /etc/hosts style filtering where you could keep an
    > up2date list of URLs to redirect into the void.
    >
    > Either that, or dump your ISP and get an AOL style portal service?
    >
    > On the downside, kids will see stuff you wouldn't want them to anyway,
    > if they want to, as their friends will surely have mobile phones etc.
    > and a viral peer group network.
    >
    > Maybe monitoring, followed by subtle persuasion in the form of a "risk
    > of severe embarrassment if dad finds out about this" regime? Hints that
    > you have plenty of disk space for logs, and can get copies from your ISP
    > at any time, and so on. Let 'em know they are not in any way going to
    > sneak anything past you.
    >
    > If done with minimum fuss, it could help form a bond of trust that will
    > probably be far more productive in the long run than attempting a
    > techno- battle with creatures way faster than you with today's
    > technology.

    The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
    be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
    actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
    problem.
    wayne, Apr 14, 2009
  14. wayne

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to wayne:

    > On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:55:33 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Responding to wayne:

    >>> It's not really a matter of trust. Click on the wrong link and bam,
    >>> hard core abounds. I need something that prevents xxx sites from

    >> I notice on another reply, you're using Linux.
    >>
    >> Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use
    >> your main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter any
    >> machines behind it through that?
    >>
    >> I'm thinking about /etc/hosts style filtering where you could keep an
    >> up2date list of URLs to redirect into the void.
    >>
    >> Either that, or dump your ISP and get an AOL style portal service?
    >>
    >> On the downside, kids will see stuff you wouldn't want them to anyway,
    >> if they want to, as their friends will surely have mobile phones etc.
    >> and a viral peer group network.
    >>
    >> Maybe monitoring, followed by subtle persuasion in the form of a "risk
    >> of severe embarrassment if dad finds out about this" regime? Hints that
    >> you have plenty of disk space for logs, and can get copies from your
    >> ISP at any time, and so on. Let 'em know they are not in any way going
    >> to sneak anything past you.
    >>
    >> If done with minimum fuss, it could help form a bond of trust that will
    >> probably be far more productive in the long run than attempting a
    >> techno- battle with creatures way faster than you with today's
    >> technology.

    > The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
    > be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
    > actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
    > problem.

    Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you engage
    with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather than
    looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by treating
    them as if you don't trust them.

    Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
    you're doing, and how, and why.

    If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It
    helps. ;)

    Mike Jones, Apr 14, 2009
  15. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:50:59 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

    > Responding to wayne:
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:55:33 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> Responding to wayne:

    >>> I notice on another reply, you're using Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use
    >>> your main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter
    >>> any machines behind it through that?
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking about /etc/hosts style filtering where you could keep an
    >>> up2date list of URLs to redirect into the void.
    >>>
    >>> Either that, or dump your ISP and get an AOL style portal service?
    >>>
    >>> On the downside, kids will see stuff you wouldn't want them to anyway,
    >>> if they want to, as their friends will surely have mobile phones etc.
    >>> and a viral peer group network.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe monitoring, followed by subtle persuasion in the form of a "risk
    >>> of severe embarrassment if dad finds out about this" regime? Hints
    >>> that you have plenty of disk space for logs, and can get copies from
    >>> your ISP at any time, and so on. Let 'em know they are not in any way
    >>> going to sneak anything past you.
    >>>
    >>> If done with minimum fuss, it could help form a bond of trust that
    >>> will probably be far more productive in the long run than attempting a
    >>> techno- battle with creatures way faster than you with today's
    >>> technology.

    >> The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
    >> be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
    >> actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
    >> problem.

    > Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you engage
    > with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather than
    > looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by treating
    > them as if you don't trust them.
    >
    > Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
    > you're doing, and how, and why.
    >

    > If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It helps.
    > ;)

    OK, this has become a linux issue instead of a firefox issue. I was
    hoping for a browser solution, but I guess one doesn't exist yet. Here
    are my ideal requirements:

    1) Will not allow visiting unapproved web sites. Perhaps it could
    reference a wiki of approved sites?

    2) Cannot be disabled or uninstalled without a password (darn clever
    kids). Won't stop the most determined ones, but those would be smart
    enough to find other solutions anyway (e.g. install there own browser).

    3) Have different levels of protection. Young kids (3-7) can go to kids
    sites, older kids (8-12) more mature sites, teens (13-17) can have more
    freedom to do research, etc.

    4) Only applies to certain login accounts. I still want my pron ;-)

    I think this would be immensely useful for parents.

    Thanks,

    -- Wayne.
    wayne, Apr 14, 2009
  16. wayne

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to wayne:

    > On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:50:59 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Responding to wayne:

    >>> The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to
    >>> all be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We
    >>> can't actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually
    >>> not a problem.

    >> Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you
    >> engage with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather
    >> than looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by
    >> treating them as if you don't trust them.
    >>
    >> Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
    >> you're doing, and how, and why.
    >>

    >> If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It
    >> helps. ;)

    > OK, this has become a linux issue instead of a firefox issue. I was
    > hoping for a browser solution, but I guess one doesn't exist yet. Here
    > are my ideal requirements:
    >
    > 1) Will not allow visiting unapproved web sites. Perhaps it could
    > reference a wiki of approved sites?
    >
    > 2) Cannot be disabled or uninstalled without a password (darn clever
    > kids). Won't stop the most determined ones, but those would be smart
    > enough to find other solutions anyway (e.g. install there own browser).
    >
    > 3) Have different levels of protection. Young kids (3-7) can go to kids
    > sites, older kids (8-12) more mature sites, teens (13-17) can have more
    > freedom to do research, etc.
    >
    > 4) Only applies to certain login accounts. I still want my pron ;-)
    >
    > I think this would be immensely useful for parents.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -- Wayne.

    Ah. You want a "Do it for me" product.

    If you want something to give you this much control, you're going to end
    up either trusting something somebody else has hacked together, or you're
    going to need to review exactly what it is you want to do, and figure out
    how to set things up to do those things for yourself.

    Setting up a LAN server that only allows certain approved URLs, while
    doable, is going to be so lame your kids will just walk away from it and
    go use their freind's machines instead.

    Go watch a few episodes of South Park and get back to us. ;\

    Mike Jones, Apr 14, 2009
  17. wayne wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:50:59 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Responding to wayne:

    >>> The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
    >>> be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
    >>> actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
    >>> problem.

    >> Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you engage
    >> with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather than
    >> looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by treating
    >> them as if you don't trust them.
    >>
    >> Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
    >> you're doing, and how, and why.
    >>

    >> If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It helps.
    >> ;)

    > OK, this has become a linux issue instead of a firefox issue. I was
    > hoping for a browser solution, but I guess one doesn't exist yet. Here
    > are my ideal requirements:
    >
    > 1) Will not allow visiting unapproved web sites. Perhaps it could
    > reference a wiki of approved sites?
    >
    > 2) Cannot be disabled or uninstalled without a password (darn clever
    > kids). Won't stop the most determined ones, but those would be smart
    > enough to find other solutions anyway (e.g. install there own browser).
    >
    > 3) Have different levels of protection. Young kids (3-7) can go to kids
    > sites, older kids (8-12) more mature sites, teens (13-17) can have more
    > freedom to do research, etc.
    >
    > 4) Only applies to certain login accounts. I still want my pron ;-)
    >
    > I think this would be immensely useful for parents.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -- Wayne.

    Wayne, this is a losing battle.

    With any controls you put up, if you leave your kids unattended at the
    computer, they will be able to defeat it. If you want to keep them from
    visiting certain sites, supervise them on the internet. Its the opnly way.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 15, 2009
  18. wayne

    Charani Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:26:05 -0700 (PDT), yogi22 wrote:

    > The program runs unobtrusively, and seems to work. I tried visiting
    > warez sites and googling some words referring to various body parts
    > and activities thereof, and was stymied every time. You can set
    > various levels of filtering, including custom. You can allow
    > exceptions, temporarily or permanently. For example, I am using the
    > Default which blocks social networking sites.
    >
    > http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

    Thank you for this :)) My dau (14) wants to have internet access on
    her on PC which we've "not got around to doing" ;)) so far. This
    seems to be an admirable solution. Until we get a Roundtuit, she'll
    have to use either my or my husband's computer under supervision.
    Charani, Apr 15, 2009
  19. wayne

    JR Guest

    wayne wrote:
    > Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    > visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    > them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora 10
    > which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
    > would like to enable it, if possible.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -- Wayne.

    Perhaps this is what you are looking for.

    JR
    JR, Apr 16, 2009
  20. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:26:37 +0200, JR wrote:

    > wayne wrote:
    >> Is there a plugin or add-on that restricts which web sites can be
    >> visited? I can't watch the kids all the time, but would like to allow
    >> them to go online safely without close supervision. I'm using fedora
    >> 10 which allows multiple users. I've disabled Firefox for the kids but
    >> would like to enable it, if possible.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> -- Wayne.

    > Perhaps this is what you are looking for.

    It looks promising. I think I'll try version 6 because they made it to
    where you have to pay for version 7. Thanks.

    -- Wayne.
    wayne, Apr 17, 2009