Kidnapped

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Aug 2, 2009.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    A driver is

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Aug 2, 2009

  2. OldGringo38

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo38 <> wrote in

    > A driver is
    > > stuck in a traffic jam
    > > going into downtown Wako.

    > > Nothing is
    > > moving north or south.
    > > Suddenly a man knocks on his window.

    > > The driver rolls down his window and asks, 'What
    > > happened, what's the hold
    > > up?'

    > > 'Terrorists have kidnapped Barack Obama, Hillary
    > > Clinton, Oprah Winfrey,
    > > Nancy Pelosi, Rosie O'Donnell, Jesse Jackson and Al
    > > Sharpton. They are
    > > asking for a $10 Million ransom. Otherwise, they are
    > > going to douse them with
    > > gasoline and set them on fire. We are going from
    > > car to car, taking up
    > > a collection.'

    > > The driver asks, 'On average, how much is everyone
    > > giving?'

    > > “About a gallon.â€

    There, fixed your post.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 2, 2009

  3. chuckcar wrote:

    > OldGringo38 <> wrote:
    >>> going into downtown Chicago .

    > going into downtown Wako.
    >
    > There, fixed your post.

    Was that supposed to be "Wacko" .. or "Waco?"

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 2, 2009
  4. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 08:37:46 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > chuckcar wrote:

    >> going into downtown Wako.
    >>
    >> There, fixed your post.

    > Was that supposed to be "Wacko" .. or "Waco?"

    A bit of both? I wouldn't consider the two words incapable of substitution
    with without changing the meaning :)
    Aardvark, Aug 2, 2009
  5. OldGringo38

    chuckcar Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> OldGringo38 <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> A driver is

    >> There, fixed your post.

    > Why did you add a-caret and the Euro sign before and after the last
    > line?

    The only thing I changed was one word in the 3rd line. The rest you can
    blame on the OP for not using standard ascii on usenet.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 2, 2009
  6. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 06:56:21 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

    > Why did you add a-caret and the Euro sign before and after the last
    > line?

    Not 'a-caret'. It's 'a-circumflex'.

    FYI and HTH.

    HAND.
    Aardvark, Aug 2, 2009
  7. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Rôgêr Post:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> Why did you add a-caret and the Euro sign before and after the last
    >>> line?

    >> Those are correctly displayed in OldGringo's post, Roger. They are
    >> 'smartquotes'. They are also displayed correctly in chuckie's reply.

    > Must be the difference in readers. In OG's post they displayed okay, in
    > Chucky's "corrected" post they were screwed up. Now they go back to
    > normal in your reply.
    >
    >>> “About a gallon.â€

    >> “About a gallon.â€
    >>
    >> Some newsreaders have difficulty translating them, depending on whether
    >> or not they understand the character set, and would display them
    >> incorrectly.

    > And of course Aardvark was correct about the character being
    > a-circumflex. I should have known better but a force 5 brain fart had
    > set it this morning.

    The text was copied and pasted from an email that had been forwarded
    a zillion times on OE and web based emails. I cleaned it up a bit
    but have no idea where it originated. Just thought it was funny. <g>

    OldGringo38, Aug 2, 2009