    like this doesn't warrant replacing the whole keypad.I know in these modern
    times we don't fix things we just replace them, too bad. Anyone had dealings
    with this sort of thing? TIA

    martin loomis, May 31, 2004

  2. martin loomis

    °Mike° Guest

    eBay or local press for "spares or repairs".

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:32:37 -0700, in
    <>
    martin loomis scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 31, 2004

  3. martin loomis wrote:
    > Got a deal on a laptop, compaq presario r3000 because one of the keys (up
    > arrow) came off the keyboard. Can use arrow fine, plunger thing works, I
    > have the key and one part of the cantilever that goes under it, question is
    > where to get missing piece to put it back together rather than pay for new
    > keypad. Appears to me it should be simple and good to know how to do when
    > someone else inevitably will have the problem in the future. I haven't found
    > any web pages yet that cover this. I just think a minor snap together thing
    > like this doesn't warrant replacing the whole keypad.I know in these modern
    > times we don't fix things we just replace them, too bad. Anyone had dealings
    > with this sort of thing? TIA

    I have made a "temporary" replacement for part of the
    cantilever of a tosh keyboard key using the ubiquitous bent
    paperclip. Which is still working years later. The secret is
    to swop the bits for one of the keys that you hardly ever use.

    Otherwise, another technique (again, having transferred the
    problem to a mostly-unused key), is to replace the
    cantilever mechanism with a bit of foam rubber, with a hole
    in the centre, super-glued in place. The anti-static foam
    that integrated circuits are supplied on comes in all sorts
    of stiffness and you should find one that suits.

    Neither of the above stops you replacing the entire
    keyboard, later.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 31, 2004
  4. Palindr☻me wrote:
    > martin loomis wrote:
    >
    >> Got a deal on a laptop, compaq presario r3000 because one of the keys (up
    >> arrow) came off the keyboard. Can use arrow fine, plunger thing works, I
    >> have the key and one part of the cantilever that goes under it,
    >> question is
    >> where to get missing piece to put it back together rather than pay for
    >> new
    >> keypad. Appears to me it should be simple and good to know how to do when
    >> someone else inevitably will have the problem in the future. I haven't
    >> found
    >> any web pages yet that cover this. I just think a minor snap together
    >> thing
    >> like this doesn't warrant replacing the whole keypad.I know in these
    >> modern
    >> times we don't fix things we just replace them, too bad. Anyone had
    >> dealings
    >> with this sort of thing? TIA
    >>

    > I have made a "temporary" replacement for part of the cantilever of a
    > tosh keyboard key using the ubiquitous bent paperclip. Which is still
    > working years later. The secret is to swop the bits for one of the keys
    > that you hardly ever use.

    The "any" key?

    =?UTF-8?B?QnJpYW4gSMK5wqk=?=, May 31, 2004