    it all screams spyware at me.

    Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
    viruses and junk on installation?

    Boppy, Jan 21, 2007

  2. On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:55:42 -0800, Boppy wrote:

    > Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious to
    > know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software and
    > it all screams spyware at me.

    That's because it *is* all about spying so that you can capture things
    like passwords, usernames, etc.

    > Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
    > viruses and junk on installation?

    Net Nanny, for Windows.

    It will enable you to prohibit which websites can be viewed, and you will
    be able to see a log of every website they attempted to access -
    successfully or otherwise.

    Just make sure you install it using the Administrator a/c, and that
    everybody else does not have admin rights. If they do, then remove their
    admin rights.

    Make sure you change the password on the admin a/c to make sure nobody
    else knows the admin password, and that nobody else knows the password for
    Net Nanny.

    If email is still being sent from your computer, then you may have a
    problem.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Boppy

    Shane Guest

    Boppy wrote:

    > Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious to
    > know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software and
    > it all screams spyware at me.
    >
    > Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
    > viruses and junk on installation?

    Got some money burning a hole in your pocket?

    http://www.keyghost.co.nz/products.htm

    KeyGhost SX is a self contained PLUG that records keystrokes.

    KeyGhost SX features a Patent Pending accelerated 'Ghost' retrieval speed
    of - over 450 characters per second - without the need for special
    adapters, or even to unplug the device.

    KeyGhost SX has options to toggle recording of function (special) keys,
    combination keys and enable/disable on keystroke compression.

    KeyGhost makes keystroke monitoring for computer security quick and easy,
    and eliminates problems associated with software keystroke monitoring based
    solutions.

    KEYGHOST SX KIT

    KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic encryption. It
    is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
    also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot afford
    to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
    monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.

    Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper evident
    seal.
    Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of Justice.
    Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

    Shane, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Boppy

    whome Guest

    > KEYGHOST SX KIT
    >
    > KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic encryption.
    > It
    > is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
    > also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot afford
    > to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
    > monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.
    >
    > Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper
    > evident
    > seal.
    > Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of Justice.
    > Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

    If this were made by the chinese it would cost 10 bucks.

    whome, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Boppy

    Earl Grey Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > whome wrote:
    >>> KEYGHOST SX KIT
    >>>
    >>> KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic
    >>> encryption. It
    >>> is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
    >>> also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot
    >>> afford
    >>> to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
    >>> monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.
    >>>
    >>> Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper
    >>> evident
    >>> seal.
    >>> Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of
    >>> Justice.
    >>> Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

    >> If this were made by the chinese it would cost 10 bucks.
    >>

    > and have a phone home back door, come to think of it Homeland Security
    > have probably already got a phone home and back door in the US one

    Googling found these
    http://dmoz.org/Computers/Security/Products_and_Tools/Monitoring/Keyloggers/

    Earl Grey, Jan 21, 2007
  6. whome wrote:
    >> KEYGHOST SX KIT
    >>
    >> KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic encryption.
    >> It
    >> is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
    >> also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot afford
    >> to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
    >> monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.
    >>
    >> Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper
    >> evident
    >> seal.
    >> Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of Justice.
    >> Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

    > If this were made by the chinese it would cost 10 bucks.

    and have a phone home back door, come to think of it Homeland Security have
    probably already got a phone home and back door in the US one

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Boppy

    Alan Guest

    "Boppy" <> wrote in message
    > Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious
    > know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software
    > and
    > it all screams spyware at me.
    >
    > Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
    > viruses and junk on installation?

    If you have a router (and only you know the admin passwords), you
    could probably check the logs on that to see where they are going?

    --
    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Jan 22, 2007
  8. Boppy

    Earl Grey Guest

    whome wrote:
    >> KEYGHOST SX KIT
    >>
    >> KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic encryption.
    >> It
    >> is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
    >> also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot afford
    >> to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
    >> monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.
    >>
    >> Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper
    >> evident
    >> seal.
    >> Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of Justice.
    >> Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

    > If this were made by the chinese it would cost 10 bucks.

    If it was on sourceforge it would cost nothing
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/bfk/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/elogger/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykeylogger/

    Earl Grey, Jan 22, 2007
  9. Boppy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "Boppy" <> wrote in message
    >> Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious
    >> know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software
    >> and
    >> it all screams spyware at me.
    >>
    >> Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
    >> viruses and junk on installation?
    >>

    > If you have a router (and only you know the admin passwords), you
    > could probably check the logs on that to see where they are going?

    If you have Vista, no need for any keylogging software; it has the
    ability to track what users are doing built in. This is such a can of
    worms I'm surprised MS included this ability.

    Ostensibly so that parents can monitor their kid's activities, but more
    likely to be used the other way around.

    "Dad, I want a new iPod...or I'll tell Mum what you were really doing on
    the PC last night"

    -=rjh=-, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Thanks for suggestions. It's not website access I'm interested in. It's
    emails sent from my PC plus also I want to know what documents have
    been opened and what searches have been conducted.
    If only we had Vista ...

    Boppy, Jan 22, 2007
  11. Boppy

    Allistar Guest

    Boppy wrote:

    > Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious to
    > know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software and
    > it all screams spyware at me.
    >
    > Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
    > viruses and junk on installation?

    There is software which, instead of simply recording key presses, takes a
    screen shot every 10 seconds or so and saves them to a preconfigured
    location. If the computer is fast enough you shouldn't notice the effect of
    this. Sorry I don't know what this software is called. Google my help.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jan 22, 2007
  12. On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:03:05 -0800, Boppy wrote:

    > Thanks for suggestions. It's not website access I'm interested in. It's
    > emails sent from my PC plus also I want to know what documents have
    > been opened and what searches have been conducted.
    > If only we had Vista ...

    Surely your logfiles will tell you who logged in and when they logged
    in/out.

    If notobody, then you've probably got a problem.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 22, 2007