    Is there a way to locate and remove this type of programme without
    going to the extreme of formatting, and then reinstalling all the
    software?

    John, Feb 16, 2005

  2. John

    Thagor Guest

    John <> wrote in news:x59kzwyzpups.l58mued0qb6l$.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > My daughter has just had a break up with her partner and she has asked
    > me to format and reinstall all software - it seems the partner
    > installed a spy type programme on her computer that tracks all
    > activity from the keyboard.
    >
    > Is there a way to locate and remove this type of programme without
    > going to the extreme of formatting, and then reinstalling all the
    > software?

    Google "KeyLogger Detection" and you will find many programs that will
    remove it. Personally, I'd run more than one of the selections several
    times to insure the remnants have been removed. Don't forget to check for
    suspicious little devices hooked onto the keyboard cable or the like.
    Also check the email settings or scripts to insure duplicate messages
    aren't being sent to unknown parties. That should do it!

    HTH

    Thagor, Feb 16, 2005

  3. John

    Plato Guest

    John wrote:

    > My daughter has just had a break up with her partner and she has asked
    > me to format and reinstall all software - it seems the partner
    > installed a spy type programme on her computer that tracks all
    > activity from the keyboard.
    >
    > Is there a way to locate and remove this type of programme without
    > going to the extreme of formatting, and then reinstalling all the
    > software?

    It depends on how advanced the keylogger is. In other words I
    subcontracted to a private investigator once and the keylogger we used
    was disquised as a perfectly looking legit windows .dll with the same
    date/timestamp etc. as the rest of them. If somebody put that one on
    my pc I'd never know it. The data directory was hidden deep also and you
    could put the data directory anyplace you wanted.

    On the other side of the coin there are freebie ones that are easily
    seen in the run or run services or even startup. Then you got the
    hardware based keyloggers :)

    Plato, Feb 16, 2005
  4. John

    Plato Guest

    The boy/girl friend caught her cheating ?

    Plato, Feb 16, 2005
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:51:53 GMT, Thagor wrote:

    > Google "KeyLogger Detection" and you will find many programs that will
    > remove it. Personally, I'd run more than one of the selections several
    > times to insure the remnants have been removed. Don't forget to check for
    > suspicious little devices hooked onto the keyboard cable or the like.
    > Also check the email settings or scripts to insure duplicate messages
    > aren't being sent to unknown parties. That should do it!
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks for the pointers - it gave me the basis to locate both the
    programme used (Perfect Keylogger) and the means of removal.
    Again, many thanks.

    John.

    John, Feb 18, 2005
  6. John

    Thagor Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:51:53 GMT, Thagor wrote:
    >
    >> Google "KeyLogger Detection" and you will find many programs that
    >> will remove it. Personally, I'd run more than one of the selections
    >> several times to insure the remnants have been removed. Don't forget
    >> to check for suspicious little devices hooked onto the keyboard cable
    >> or the like. Also check the email settings or scripts to insure
    >> duplicate messages aren't being sent to unknown parties. That should
    >> do it!
    >>
    >> HTH

    > Thanks for the pointers - it gave me the basis to locate both the
    > programme used (Perfect Keylogger) and the means of removal.
    > Again, many thanks.
    >
    > John.

    Glad to help and good luck with the task.

    Thagor, Feb 19, 2005