    entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has got into
    my system to cause this?
    Andrew
    Andrew, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:15:03 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    |> Aluria Security Centre keeps finding "008 Remote Keylogger". I delete it but
    |> it is back again next time it runs showing 36 registry entries. Many of the
    |> entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has got into
    |> my system to cause this?

    google: Remote Keylogger mabry

    --
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524911.600
    , Mar 18, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Vanguard Guest

    http://www.download.com/008-Remote-Key-Logger/3000-2162_4-10325865.html

    Vanguard, Mar 19, 2005
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >> Aluria Security Centre keeps finding "008 Remote Keylogger". I delete it
    >> but
    >> it is back again next time it runs showing 36 registry entries. Many of
    >> the
    >> entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has got
    >> into
    >> my system to cause this?
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > http://www.download.com/008-Remote-Key-Logger/3000-2162_4-10325865.html

    I want to rid myself of it not download it!
    Andrew
    Andrew, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Andrew

    Vanguard Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    >> "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >>> Aluria Security Centre keeps finding "008 Remote Keylogger". I
    >>> delete it but
    >>> it is back again next time it runs showing 36 registry entries. Many
    >>> of the
    >>> entries have "marby" in them. How can I trace the program that has
    >>> got into
    >>> my system to cause this?

    >> http://www.download.com/008-Remote-Key-Logger/3000-2162_4-10325865.html
    >>

    > I want to rid myself of it not download it!

    Guess you have no initiative. Visit the homepage link at the download
    site's description. They probably have support pages, or contact info,
    so you can ask. From what I saw there, there is an uninstall option but
    probably only if you were the parent or employer that installed the
    product and have the admin rights to the uninstall option. They don't
    look to be hiding.

    You could use SysInternals' RegMon utility to see which process what
    writing to the registry. Use its filter option to limit the monitoring
    to just the registry key you want to monitor.

    Vanguard, Mar 19, 2005
  6. Andrew

    Guest

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:52:45 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    |> > http://www.download.com/008-Remote-Key-Logger/3000-2162_4-10325865.html
    |> >
    |> I want to rid myself of it not download it!

    Why not? If you can't rid yourself of it, you could download and use
    Install watch http://www.epsilonsquared.com/, install the keylogger and
    see where it's installed itself. Then remove it.

    After installing it you might even have the option of removing it
    yourself, since you are now the instigator.

    I mean what's it going to do it hasn't already.

    Got a camera set up on your computer? Wave :)

    --
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524911.600
    , Mar 19, 2005
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:52:45 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > http://www.download.com/008-Remote-Key-Logger/3000-2162_4-10325865.html
    > |> >
    > |> I want to rid myself of it not download it!
    >
    > Why not? If you can't rid yourself of it, you could download and use
    > Install watch http://www.epsilonsquared.com/, install the keylogger and
    > see where it's installed itself. Then remove it.
    >
    > After installing it you might even have the option of removing it
    > yourself, since you are now the instigator.
    >
    > I mean what's it going to do it hasn't already.

    My concern it that it has been placed in my system to track my activities.
    Andrew
    Andrew, Mar 20, 2005
  8. Andrew

    Vanguard Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:52:45 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> http://www.download.com/008-Remote-Key-Logger/3000-2162_4-10325865.html

    >> Why not? If you can't rid yourself of it, you could download and use
    >> Install watch http://www.epsilonsquared.com/, install the keylogger
    >> and
    >> see where it's installed itself. Then remove it.
    >>
    >> After installing it you might even have the option of removing it
    >> yourself, since you are now the instigator.
    >>
    >> I mean what's it going to do it hasn't already.
    >>

    > My concern it that it has been placed in my system to track my
    > activities.

    Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
    Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded
    or even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they want
    to make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee
    isn't compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for
    them. You could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.

    If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.

    Vanguard, Mar 20, 2005
  9. "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    ((SNIPED))

    > Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
    > Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded
    > or even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they want
    > to make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee
    > isn't compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for
    > them. You could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.
    >
    > If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.

    tHERE IS ALSO ANOTHER (sorry caps lock) thing,,,it may have been installed
    before you bought the comp (if you got it secondhand)
    also if you download programZ then one of those could have been made up to
    install the keylogger as well then it logs everything you do and EMAILS the
    information to someone that you dont know..
    Key loggers log every thing you type even passwords and the site they were
    entered into,,on top of this they can also take pictures of the desktop so
    any information you type into forms or details that you have to enter to
    install programs on your computer ie: you personal insterlation key and
    name...

    then there is the problem of it logs every thing you type into emails

    simply keyloggers store every thing you do on your comp and can be setup to
    let other people pich what you do or know
    www.bigun.serverbox.org, Mar 20, 2005
  10. Andrew

    Vanguard Guest

    "www.bigun.serverbox.org" <>
    wrote in message news:a8h%d.616$...

    > tHERE IS ALSO ANOTHER (sorry caps lock) thing,,,it may have been
    > installed
    > before you bought the comp (if you got it secondhand)
    > also if you download programZ then one of those could have been made
    > up to
    > install the keylogger as well then it logs everything you do and
    > EMAILS the
    > information to someone that you dont know..
    > Key loggers log every thing you type even passwords and the site they
    > were
    > entered into,,on top of this they can also take pictures of the
    > desktop so
    > any information you type into forms or details that you have to enter
    > install programs on your computer ie: you personal insterlation key
    > and
    > name...
    >
    > then there is the problem of it logs every thing you type into emails
    >
    > simply keyloggers store every thing you do on your comp and can be
    > setup to
    > let other people pich what you do or know

    Another reason to use a 3rd party firewall that prompts the user whether
    or not an application is allowed to make an outbound connection. Use a
    firewall that has application hijacking protection and also protects
    against DLL injection (or fireholing). You might authorize a program to
    make connections, like IE, but you don't want malware substituting its
    DLL in place of the one that IE uses or otherwise having an unauthorized
    program using an authorized program to get a connection. Of course,
    these extra protections also result in more prompts during the learning
    period.

    Vanguard, Mar 20, 2005
  11. Andrew

    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:52:45 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew" <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> http://www.download.com/008-Remote-Key-Logger/3000-2162_4-10325865.html

    >>> Why not? If you can't rid yourself of it, you could download and use
    >>> Install watch http://www.epsilonsquared.com/, install the keylogger and
    >>> see where it's installed itself. Then remove it.
    >>>
    >>> After installing it you might even have the option of removing it
    >>> yourself, since you are now the instigator.
    >>>
    >>> I mean what's it going to do it hasn't already.
    >>>

    >> My concern it that it has been placed in my system to track my
    >> activities.

    > Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
    > Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded or
    > even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they want to
    > make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee isn't
    > compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for them. You
    > could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.
    >
    > If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.

    How old do you think I am???
    Andrew
    Andrew, Mar 20, 2005
  12. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "www.bigun.serverbox.org" <> wrote
    in message news:a8h%d.616$...

    > "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    >> "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    > ((SNIPED))
    >>
    >> Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
    >> Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded
    >> or even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they want
    >> to make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee
    >> isn't compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for
    >> them. You could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.
    >>
    >> If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.
    >>

    > tHERE IS ALSO ANOTHER (sorry caps lock) thing,,,it may have been
    > installed
    > before you bought the comp (if you got it secondhand)
    > also if you download programZ then one of those could have been made up to
    > install the keylogger as well then it logs everything you do and EMAILS
    > the
    > information to someone that you dont know..
    > Key loggers log every thing you type even passwords and the site they were
    > entered into,,on top of this they can also take pictures of the desktop so
    > any information you type into forms or details that you have to enter to
    > install programs on your computer ie: you personal insterlation key and
    > name...
    >
    > then there is the problem of it logs every thing you type into emails
    >
    > simply keyloggers store every thing you do on your comp and can be setup
    > let other people pich what you do or know

    This one has only appeared in the past few days. I deleted all the programs
    that I had downloaded around that time. I suspect that it came from/with
    Limewire.
    Andrew.
    Andrew, Mar 20, 2005
  13. "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    > "www.bigun.serverbox.org" <>

    wrote
    > in message news:a8h%d.616$...
    > >
    > > "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    > >> "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > > ((SNIPED))
    > >>
    > >> Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
    > >> Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded
    > >> or even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they

    want
    > >> to make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee
    > >> isn't compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for
    > >> them. You could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.
    > >>
    > >> If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.
    > >>

    > > tHERE IS ALSO ANOTHER (sorry caps lock) thing,,,it may have been
    > > installed
    > > before you bought the comp (if you got it secondhand)
    > > also if you download programZ then one of those could have been made up

    > > install the keylogger as well then it logs everything you do and EMAILS
    > > the
    > > information to someone that you dont know..
    > > Key loggers log every thing you type even passwords and the site they

    were
    > > entered into,,on top of this they can also take pictures of the desktop

    so
    > > any information you type into forms or details that you have to enter to
    > > install programs on your computer ie: you personal insterlation key and
    > > name...
    > >
    > > then there is the problem of it logs every thing you type into emails
    > >
    > > simply keyloggers store every thing you do on your comp and can be setup
    > > let other people pich what you do or know
    > >

    > This one has only appeared in the past few days. I deleted all the

    programs
    > that I had downloaded around that time. I suspect that it came from/with
    > Limewire.
    > Andrew.

    Andrew
    have you thought about finding out how you get the control panel running for
    the keylogger,,
    then you can see where/if it is sending the information to??
    then you can get it to send the information to a folder on your computer
    instead..
    some key loggers are totally invisible on the computer (even the files it
    installes to run..) at least this way you now that you info is save untill u
    can find away to uninstall it

    just a thought but worth considering

    do you know anything about the perticullar keylogger that could help us to
    help you with more details on how to get rid of it??
    www.bigun.serverbox.org, Mar 20, 2005
  14. Andrew

    Vanguard Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    >> "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> My concern it that it has been placed in my system to track my
    >>> activities.

    >> Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
    >> Removing it may violate company policies and could get you
    >> reprimanded or even fired. It is the company's property and
    >> resources and they want to make sure it is being used for company
    >> work and that the employee isn't compromising the company's image or
    >> causing legal problems for them. You could call your IT department
    >> or sysadmin to ask.
    >>
    >> If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.
    >>

    > How old do you think I am???
    > Andrew

    Determining the biological age (and also the emotional age) of posters
    is not a feature yet available to Usenet. You could be a 12-year old
    using a school computer and trying to thwart your school from monitoring
    your use of their equipment. You could be a 60-year old at work where
    they monitor the use of their resources by their employees. You could
    be an 8-year old at home tring to hide where you visit from your
    parents, or even a 30-year old still living at home but using his
    parents' computer instead of his own. You could be at the library
    trying to hide where you navigate from the admins at the library. The
    point is that the software might have been deliberately installed
    because the computer you use is someone else's property. Rather than
    challenge that the computer is your property, your response was to
    challenge an inference you made regarding your age (with is irrelevant
    in the first paragraph).

    From the web site for this product, *if* YOU were the one that installed
    it then you should also see the uninstall option. There may be
    information at this site on support and describe if it can be
    distributed as a covert payload. That would account for it getting
    installed without your knowledge. I don't know about this particular
    keylogger but do remember reading about one that had the "option" of
    delivering its client via e-mail. You haven't mentioned contacting the
    software author for which you have been given a link to find them to see
    how responsive he/she may be in helping you out. Obviously they would
    know more about their product since no one that has yet responded has
    noted that they use this product. Since it appears that they are not
    trying to hide, it is likely that they are selling a legitimate and
    legal product and might work with you on eradicating it should they
    believe that it is indeed your computer.

    Vanguard, Mar 20, 2005
  15. Andrew

    Barry Guest

    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    >>> "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
    >>> Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded
    >>> or even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they want
    >>> to make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee
    >>> isn't compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for
    >>> them. You could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.
    >>>
    >>> If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.
    >>>

    >> How old do you think I am???
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > Determining the biological age (and also the emotional age) of posters is
    > not a feature yet available to Usenet. You could be a 12-year old using a
    > school computer and trying to thwart your school from monitoring your use
    > of their equipment. You could be a 60-year old at work where they monitor
    > the use of their resources by their employees. You could be an 8-year old
    > at home tring to hide where you visit from your parents, or even a 30-year
    > old still living at home but using his parents' computer instead of his
    > own. You could be at the library trying to hide where you navigate from
    > the admins at the library. The point is that the software might have been
    > deliberately installed because the computer you use is someone else's
    > property. Rather than challenge that the computer is your property, your
    > response was to challenge an inference you made regarding your age (with
    > is irrelevant in the first paragraph).
    >
    > From the web site for this product, *if* YOU were the one that installed
    > it then you should also see the uninstall option. There may be
    > information at this site on support and describe if it can be distributed
    > as a covert payload. That would account for it getting installed without
    > your knowledge. I don't know about this particular keylogger but do
    > remember reading about one that had the "option" of delivering its client
    > via e-mail. You haven't mentioned contacting the software author for
    > which you have been given a link to find them to see how responsive he/she
    > may be in helping you out. Obviously they would know more about their
    > product since no one that has yet responded has noted that they use this
    > product. Since it appears that they are not trying to hide, it is likely
    > that they are selling a legitimate and legal product and might work with
    > you on eradicating it should they believe that it is indeed your computer.
    >
    > --

    I did not come into any of the personal categories that you contemplated.
    The computer is my home one and I did not nstall the keylogger. In fact a
    second one has since appeared. I e-mailed the supplier of one of the
    Keyloggers but do not expect them to reply. It is a bit like asking a gun
    maker not to supply weapons to terrorists.
    Andrew.
    Barry, Mar 20, 2005
  16. Andrew

    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo_header> wrote in message
    >>> "Andrew" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is it a computer at work? Could be your IT department installed it.
    >>> Removing it may violate company policies and could get you reprimanded
    >>> or even fired. It is the company's property and resources and they want
    >>> to make sure it is being used for company work and that the employee
    >>> isn't compromising the company's image or causing legal problems for
    >>> them. You could call your IT department or sysadmin to ask.
    >>>
    >>> If it is a home computer, maybe your parents installed it.
    >>>

    >> How old do you think I am???
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > Determining the biological age (and also the emotional age) of posters is
    > not a feature yet available to Usenet. You could be a 12-year old using a
    > school computer and trying to thwart your school from monitoring your use
    > of their equipment. You could be a 60-year old at work where they monitor
    > the use of their resources by their employees. You could be an 8-year old
    > at home tring to hide where you visit from your parents, or even a 30-year
    > old still living at home but using his parents' computer instead of his
    > own. You could be at the library trying to hide where you navigate from
    > the admins at the library. The point is that the software might have been
    > deliberately installed because the computer you use is someone else's
    > property. Rather than challenge that the computer is your property, your
    > response was to challenge an inference you made regarding your age (with
    > is irrelevant in the first paragraph).
    >
    > From the web site for this product, *if* YOU were the one that installed
    > it then you should also see the uninstall option. There may be
    > information at this site on support and describe if it can be distributed
    > as a covert payload. That would account for it getting installed without
    > your knowledge. I don't know about this particular keylogger but do
    > remember reading about one that had the "option" of delivering its client
    > via e-mail. You haven't mentioned contacting the software author for
    > which you have been given a link to find them to see how responsive he/she
    > may be in helping you out. Obviously they would know more about their
    > product since no one that has yet responded has noted that they use this
    > product. Since it appears that they are not trying to hide, it is likely
    > that they are selling a legitimate and legal product and might work with
    > you on eradicating it should they believe that it is indeed your computer.
    >
    > --

    This is the reply from one of the companies:
    Hi Andrew

    ! Some spy removal software reports about Activity Logger by error,

    please look at

    http://www.bradsoft.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=1&MessageID=9185

    and

    http://spyware.eufa.ru/index.php/archives/2004/10/10/giant-antispyware/

    Most probably some software you have on your PC is protected with ASProtect
    as

    well as Activity Logger, and the spyware removal is just wrong and Activity

    Logger has never been installed on your PC. Please write me if the problem
    is

    not solved.

    --

    Best regards,

    Fedor Chenkov, Technical Support Team

    Deep Software Inc.

    http://www.softactivity.com

    Computer monitoring software

    > I am a home computer user, Activity Logger 2.0 comes up on my computer
    > when

    > I check for spyware. How do I prevent this from giving out my details to

    > third parties?

    > Regards

    Andrew
    Andrew, Mar 20, 2005
  17. Andrew

    Vanguard Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > and
    >
    > http://spyware.eufa.ru/index.php/archives/2004/10/10/giant-antispyware/
    >
    > Most probably some software you have on your PC is protected with
    > ASProtect as
    >
    > well as Activity Logger, and the spyware removal is just wrong and
    > Activity
    >
    > Logger has never been installed on your PC. Please write me if the
    > problem is
    >
    > not solved.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Fedor Chenkov, Technical Support Team
    >
    > Deep Software Inc.
    >

    > http://www.softactivity.com
    >
    > Computer monitoring software
    >

    >> I am a home computer user, Activity Logger 2.0 comes up on my
    >> computer when

    >> I check for spyware. How do I prevent this from giving out my details

    I neglected to notice you were using Aluria for the anti-spyware product
    in your first post. Could be they are simply generating false positives
    in the hope that you buy their product. Aluria is one of the rogues
    listed at:

    What other anti-spyware scanners have you tried? Was the keylogger
    detected by Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Microsoft AntiSpyware, and PestScan's
    online scanner (which I have seen generates a couple false positives)?

    When anti-spyware triggers and declares you have crapware installed, it
    is nearly worthless alert if they don't tell you what they triggered on.
    I'd say to use the SysInternal's RegMon mentioned before to see what
    process if recreating those registry keys. Could be it is a valid and
    wanted process and, if not, you'll know which one is creating them.

    Vanguard, Mar 20, 2005
  18. Andrew

> [...]

    > I neglected to notice you were using Aluria for the anti-spyware product
    > in your first post. Could be they are simply generating false positives
    > in the hope that you buy their product. Aluria is one of the rogues
    > listed at:
    >
    > http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    >
    > What other anti-spyware scanners have you tried? Was the keylogger
    > detected by Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Microsoft AntiSpyware, and PestScan's
    > online scanner (which I have seen generates a couple false positives)?
    >
    > When anti-spyware triggers and declares you have crapware installed, it is
    > nearly worthless alert if they don't tell you what they triggered on. I'd
    > say to use the SysInternal's RegMon mentioned before to see what process
    > if recreating those registry keys. Could be it is a valid and wanted
    > process and, if not, you'll know which one is creating them.

    Thanks for the interesting link.
    Aluria has had good reviews such as:-
    I use Norton 2005, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Microsoft Antispyware plus BT
    Yahoo Antispy. None of them found the Keyloggers. I only installed Aluria
    about two weeks ago after testing several others. Aluria found one keylogger
    after a weeks use and the second one today. The number of products on the
    market obviously leads to extravagent claims to get users to try a poduct.
    Most products find at least one problem that another misses where it is real
    or planted the user is usually not qualified to judge. I can only say that
    the registry entries Aluria ponted to existed.
    Andrew
    Andrew, Mar 21, 2005