Keylogger Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Dogfizh, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Dogfizh

    Dogfizh Guest

    I work for company that blocks me from installing programs on my WinXP
    and Win98 SE desktops.

    I'm curious whether there is a way to detect a keylogging program that
    is tracking my every keystroke here at work.

    Is there a website with a Java or ActiveX control that allows me to
    scan and identify a keylogger on my systems?

    Is there a work-around for installing a anti-keylogging or keylogging
    identification program and scanning my systems?

    Does anyone know of a program that allows me to run a detection
    program from a floppy or USB drive?

    Are there EXEs I can use Windows' "Search" function to find and
    delete?

    Thanks

    Signed…….

    Worried

    Dogfizh, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Dogfizh

    splatter Guest

    "Dogfizh" <> wrote in message
    > I work for company that blocks me from installing programs on my WinXP
    > and Win98 SE desktops.
    >
    > I'm curious whether there is a way to detect a keylogging program that
    > is tracking my every keystroke here at work.
    >
    > Is there a website with a Java or ActiveX control that allows me to
    > scan and identify a keylogger on my systems?
    >
    > Is there a work-around for installing a anti-keylogging or keylogging
    > identification program and scanning my systems?
    >
    > Does anyone know of a program that allows me to run a detection
    > program from a floppy or USB drive?
    >
    > Are there EXEs I can use Windows' "Search" function to find and
    > delete?

    in a short answer no... You can do a virus / spyware scan and search all you
    want but the fact is if they owners of the computer, your company, has
    something like this installed you will either not find it, or even if you
    manage to disable it will only draw attention to your actions and
    repercussions.
    On top of that loggers could take the form of a hardware logger between your
    kb and box, a software logger in another place on the network, monitoring
    any internet or LAN requests you make, or any number of other ways bosses
    spy on employees.
    DP

    splatter, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Dogfizh

    Mimic Guest

    "Dogfizh" <> wrote in message
    > I work for company that blocks me from installing programs on my WinXP
    > and Win98 SE desktops.
    >
    > I'm curious whether there is a way to detect a keylogging program that
    > is tracking my every keystroke here at work.
    >
    > Is there a website with a Java or ActiveX control that allows me to
    > scan and identify a keylogger on my systems?
    >
    > Is there a work-around for installing a anti-keylogging or keylogging
    > identification program and scanning my systems?
    >
    > Does anyone know of a program that allows me to run a detection
    > program from a floppy or USB drive?
    >
    > Are there EXEs I can use Windows' "Search" function to find and
    > delete?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Signed...
    >
    > Worried

    You could install a hardware keylogger easy enough. They run inline the
    keyboard cable and look like noise filters.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Dogfizh

    Lord Shaolin Guest

    "Dogfizh" <> wrote in message
    > I work for company that blocks me from installing programs on my WinXP
    > and Win98 SE desktops.

    <snip>

    Just use an onscreen keyboard..

    Blah blah blah, but you are at work anyway so I don't see why you should
    have anything to hide.

    You are ON their property USING their property, they have every right to
    watch every move you make.

    --

    -+ Shaolin +-
    Discard what is useless, absorb what is not and

    .: http://www.security-forums.com :.

    Lord Shaolin, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Dogfizh

    mto Guest

    "Dogfizh" <> wrote in message
    > I work for company that blocks me from installing programs on my WinXP
    > and Win98 SE desktops.
    >
    > I'm curious whether there is a way to detect a keylogging program that
    > is tracking my every keystroke here at work.
    >
    > Is there a website with a Java or ActiveX control that allows me to
    > scan and identify a keylogger on my systems?
    >
    > Is there a work-around for installing a anti-keylogging or keylogging
    > identification program and scanning my systems?
    >
    > Does anyone know of a program that allows me to run a detection
    > program from a floppy or USB drive?
    >
    > Are there EXEs I can use Windows' "Search" function to find and
    > delete?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Signed...
    >
    > Worried

    Central to any employment contract - written or verbal - is the idea that an
    employee, by agreeing to accept a paycheck from the employer, agrees to
    perform their job duties in the manner specified by the employer. Your
    employers have the *right* to insist that you not install anything whatever
    or run any unauthorized programs on their computers. They also have the
    right to monitor in whatever way they choose your job performance.

    Also central to the mutual understanding is that the employee will exercise
    all due care with his employer's property. Knowingly running (even from a
    floppy) or installing unauthorized programming, including ActiveX and Java,
    is not "due care" and, when discovered, at best leaves you wide open to
    immediate dismissal. In a worst case, you could cause damage to a system
    that your employer may very well have invested millions in and find yourself
    both jobless and financially liable.

    If you are performing your job in a manner consistent with the terms of your
    employment then you should have nothing to fear, even if your employer is
    using a keylogger. If you are not, then you have two choices: change your
    work behaviour to comply with your employer's expectations or find a
    different job with more liberal standards.

    mto, Sep 5, 2003