    attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on the edge against
    a solid piece of wood.

    They all work fine now.....including this one. :)
    steve, Jan 21, 2006

  2. steve

    Jerry Guest

    steve wrote:
    > I've had several keyboards suddenly go flakey in the past 2 weeks.
    >
    > Four in total.
    >
    > Finally, I picked them up and - one at a time - botted a system up with them
    > attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on the edge against
    > a solid piece of wood.
    >
    > They all work fine now.....including this one. :)

    Steve, that isn't the proper technique for fixing a keyboard at all.
    Use some finesse man! To do it properly, lift the keyboard 11 cm off
    the desk, and then drop it evenly. Replace any key tops that pop off,
    and Bob's your uncle.
    Jerry, Jan 21, 2006

  3. steve

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:15:49 +1300, steve wrote:

    > I've had several keyboards suddenly go flakey in the past 2 weeks.
    >
    > Four in total.
    >
    > Finally, I picked them up and - one at a time - botted a system up with
    > them attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on the edge
    > against a solid piece of wood.
    >
    > They all work fine now.....including this one. :)

    Summer humidity will affect membrane type keyboards.
    The ones with rubber key mats will "sweat" a lot.
    Murray Symon, Jan 21, 2006
  4. steve

    DakaR Guest

    steve wrote:

    > I've had several keyboards suddenly go flakey in the past 2 weeks.
    >
    > Four in total.
    >
    > Finally, I picked them up and - one at a time - botted a system up with
    > them attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on the edge
    > against a solid piece of wood.
    >
    > They all work fine now.....including this one. :)

    Stop drinking and eating over the keyboard...sounds like they had food in
    them to me :)
    DakaR, Jan 21, 2006
  5. steve

    bambam Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > I've had several keyboards suddenly go flakey in the past 2 weeks.
    >
    > Four in total.
    >
    > Finally, I picked them up and - one at a time - botted a system up
    > with them attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on
    > the edge against a solid piece of wood.
    >
    > They all work fine now.....including this one. :)

    There is always the dishwasher-

    http://www.rabidhardware.net/index.php?id=9

    ;)
    bambam, Jan 21, 2006
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> I've had several keyboards suddenly go flakey in the past 2 weeks.
    >>
    >> Four in total.
    >>
    >> Finally, I picked them up and - one at a time - botted a system up with
    >> them attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on the edge
    >> against a solid piece of wood.
    >>
    >> They all work fine now.....including this one. :)

    > Steve, that isn't the proper technique for fixing a keyboard at all.
    > Use some finesse man! To do it properly, lift the keyboard 11 cm off
    > the desk, and then drop it evenly. Replace any key tops that pop off,
    > and Bob's your uncle.

    Good advice.

    Ta, Jerry.
    steve, Jan 21, 2006
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    DakaR wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> I've had several keyboards suddenly go flakey in the past 2 weeks.
    >>
    >> Four in total.
    >>
    >> Finally, I picked them up and - one at a time - botted a system up with
    >> them attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on the edge
    >> against a solid piece of wood.
    >>
    >> They all work fine now.....including this one. :)

    > Stop drinking and eating over the keyboard...sounds like they had food
    > in
    > them to me :)

    One is in the garage and may well have mouse shit in it, too.

    I know one of the hens got in there a crapped on it last week. Took me a
    while to get the poo out of the keys.
    steve, Jan 21, 2006
  8. steve

    steve Guest

    bambam wrote:

    > steve <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've had several keyboards suddenly go flakey in the past 2 weeks.
    >>
    >> Four in total.
    >>
    >> Finally, I picked them up and - one at a time - botted a system up
    >> with them attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on
    >> the edge against a solid piece of wood.
    >>
    >> They all work fine now.....including this one. :)

    > There is always the dishwasher-
    >
    > http://www.rabidhardware.net/index.php?id=9
    >
    > ;)

    I don't have a dishwasher.....dammit. :)
    steve, Jan 21, 2006
  9. steve

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:55:53 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >bambam wrote:
    >
    >> steve <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I've had several keyboards suddenly go flakey in the past 2 weeks.
    >>>
    >>> Four in total.
    >>>
    >>> Finally, I picked them up and - one at a time - botted a system up
    >>> with them attached and gave each - in turn - several sharp WHACKs on
    >>> the edge against a solid piece of wood.
    >>>
    >>> They all work fine now.....including this one. :)

    >> There is always the dishwasher-
    >>
    >> http://www.rabidhardware.net/index.php?id=9
    >>
    >> ;)

    >I don't have a dishwasher.....dammit. :)

    I tried that myself with a MS keyboard late last year. I wouldn't recommend it.
    The plastic all changed colour and it gained friction against itself so the keys
    would no longer press down smoothly. It was super clean though :)
    Craig Shore, Jan 21, 2006
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:55:53 +1300, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>bambam wrote:
    >>
    >>> steve <> wrote in

    >>> There is always the dishwasher-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.rabidhardware.net/index.php?id=9
    >>>
    >>> ;)

    >>I don't have a dishwasher.....dammit. :)

    > I tried that myself with a MS keyboard late last year. I wouldn't
    > recommend it. The plastic all changed colour and it gained friction
    > against itself so the keys
    > would no longer press down smoothly. It was super clean though :)

    Ta. I feel better about not having a dishwasher.

    Dishwashers can use about 200 litres / full load.

    I'm happy with the kitchen sink - which uses about 7 litres....and washes
    more dishes (and keyboards, too, I guess).
    steve, Jan 21, 2006
  11. steve

    bambam Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > Ta. I feel better about not having a dishwasher.
    >
    > Dishwashers can use about 200 litres / full load.

    Who told you that?
    My F&P dishwasher uses 20 litres for a normal wash. Now a F&P clothes
    washing machine will use about 200 litres for a wash, but then I suppose
    you use the tub and the wash board? ;)

    > I'm happy with the kitchen sink - which uses about 7 litres....and washes
    > more dishes (and keyboards, too, I guess).

    Most kitchen sinks hold about 20 litres, you only fill yours a third full,
    you must live on your own?
    bambam, Jan 21, 2006
  12. On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:56:33 +0000, bambam wrote:

    > Most kitchen sinks hold about 20 litres, you only fill yours a third full,
    > you must live on your own?

    I only fill my sink half full - I don't want the water slopping over the
    floor.

    Also, commercial dishwashers - the sort found in commercial kitchens use
    much more water than domestic ones.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Four years ago, Bill Gates dispatched a companywide e-mail promising that
    security and privacy would be Microsoft's top priorities. Gates urged that new
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 21, 2006
  13. steve

    steve Guest

    bambam wrote:

    > Most kitchen sinks hold about 20 litres, you only fill yours a third full,
    > you must live on your own?

    Small sink with a drain halfway up.

    It's about 7 litres to do a wash.

    I agree about the washing machine. Looks like I got a wee bit confused
    there!

    Thanks for pointing it out.
    steve, Jan 22, 2006
  14. T'was the Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:46:11 +1300 when I remembered Mr
    Undeniably Sluttish <> saying something like
    this:

    >Also, commercial dishwashers - the sort found in commercial kitchens use
    >much more water than domestic ones.

    And with good reason. I doubt you could hygienically wash dishes by
    hand washing.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jan 22, 2006
  15. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:53:50 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >>Also, commercial dishwashers - the sort found in commercial kitchens use
    >>much more water than domestic ones.

    > And with good reason. I doubt you could hygienically wash dishes by
    > hand washing.

    Who was discussing "hand washing"?

    GHTB!!!

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    every major worm other than the original Morris Worm from 1988 has leveraged
    a hole in Microsoft products.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 22, 2006
  16. T'was the Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:53:49 +1300 when I remembered Mr
    Undeniably Sluttish <> saying something like
    this:

    >> And with good reason. I doubt you could hygienically wash dishes by
    >> hand washing.

    >Who was discussing "hand washing"?

    >I only fill my sink half full - I don't want the water slopping over the
    >floor.

    Unquote.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jan 23, 2006
  17. On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:54:40 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >>> And with good reason. I doubt you could hygienically wash dishes by
    >>> hand washing.

    >>Who was discussing "hand washing"?

    >>I only fill my sink half full - I don't want the water slopping over the
    >>floor.

    > Unquote.

    And how does my preference for only filling my sink half full at home
    relate to the water consumption of a commercial dish washer?

    And besides, there are only so many types of things that can actually fit
    into a commercial dish washer. Everything else is washed by hand in a
    big sink.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 24, 2006