    has to do with the ability to press more than three keys whilst gaming :).
    Thanks in advance,
    FingAZ.
    FingAZ, Dec 31, 2004

  2. FingAZ

    Sky King Guest

    FingAZ wrote:
    > hey I was wondering, is it on all keyboard or just mine where you can
    > press only three key simultaneously? and if so why?

    I'm not aware of any such limit no matter the keyboard. Unless you have
    something else (a macro perhaps?) that is stuffing the keyboard buffer with
    so much that it begins to drop data before the sequence completes. You
    could also have a keystroke capture "spyware" program running in the
    background that possibly would produce similar results. Or you could have
    one-or-more of those keys "stuck" so they keep repeating until things go
    south --- spilled any cola or beer on your keyboard lately? <G>

    Do you have another PS/2 keyboard you can swap into that system to see if
    the condition repeats?

    > My final question is if I get a USB keyboard will I still be
    > restricted with the same simultaneous button presses limit? Weird
    > question i know, but it has to do with the ability to press more than
    > three keys whilst gaming :). Thanks in advance,

    Could also be a restriction within the game you are playing. Suggest you
    check the help files or online forums related to that game. I don't think
    changing to a USB keyboard is the best solution based on what you
    wrote....need more info.

    --

    ....Sky

    Tom "Sky" King
    =============
    Sky King, Dec 31, 2004

  3. FingAZ

    FingAZ Guest

    It occurs on all PS/2 connection based keyboards- infact- press and hold the
    up, right and down keys. notice nothing happens and the intended action
    occurs, now press the up right and down keys and hold em and it'll bleep
    through your PC speaker? don't know why this is but...?? or both ctrls with
    the right shift key- causes a system beep again, try with both ctrl keys and
    the left shift and nothing happens? It makes no sense- any explanation out
    there?

    FingAZ.

    FingAZ, Dec 31, 2004
  4. FingAZ

    FingAZ Guest

    Oh and this occurs any where in the windows OS environment- i was using
    games as an example. The idea being that i needed to use the up, left and
    alt keys all at the same time- up and left to accelerate and turn left and
    alt to Nos (for those who aren't familiar with what im talking about nos is
    nitrous injection used in street racing :) lol and therefore in NFSU2.) im
    interested to see if this still occurs with USB keyboards though? Anyone
    know?

    FingAZ.

    FingAZ, Dec 31, 2004
  5. FingAZ

    Sky King Guest

    FingAZ wrote:
    > It occurs on all PS/2 connection based keyboards

    No, it doesn't.

    > .........now press the up right and down keys and hold
    > em and it'll bleep through your PC speaker

    No, it doesn't.

    > ....both ctrls with the right shift key- causes a system beep

    No, it doesn't.

    > ... any explanation out there?

    Nothing other than what I posted before. Try a different PS/2 keyboard.
    Check your system for programs running in the background.

    I ran your tests on a couple of very different computers here that have PS/2
    keyboards, and on one using a USB keyboard. None of your results
    duplicated.

    --

    ....Sky

    Tom "Sky" King
    =============
    Sky King, Jan 1, 2005
  6. FingAZ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The "beep" is a "buffer full" message from your motherboard. You don't get
    that with some of the 'system' keys, since they don't actually send data,
    but rather modify it before the keyboard sends it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 1, 2005
  7. FingAZ

    FingAZ Guest

    So is there any way of changing this? Like new keyboard or motherboard?
    cause its annoying :)

    FingAZ.

    FingAZ, Jan 1, 2005
  8. FingAZ

    gust Guest

    > So is there any way of changing this? Like new keyboard or
    > motherboard? cause its annoying :)

    not sure what yer after with needing to press up/down/left at the same time
    on the keyboard ... but this got me curious and I tested it out on a few
    machines ova hea ... and like a few folks chimed in with details n stuff
    about WHY it beeps and doesn't do what ya want ... it does beep and and is
    useless on my tests .......... so ... my suggestion is this

    get a cheapo game controller ......... I am no gamer but I tried playing
    MVP baseball demo with the keyboard up/down/left type of stuff that is
    needed to play and I .........

    next day as soon as the store opened bought a $18. gamepad ...... well yeah
    and $19 bucks for the full game

    it was worth it
    gust, Jan 1, 2005
  9. FingAZ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    There is no way to change it. Both the motherboard and keyboard interface
    are "set in concrete" and will not be different from one model to another.
    And what's annoying about it? Use it the way it's designed...it's a
    keyboard, not a gamer's interface.

    | So is there any way of changing this? Like new keyboard or motherboard?
    | cause its annoying :)
    |
    | FingAZ.
    |

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > The "beep" is a "buffer full" message from your motherboard. You don't
    get
    | > that with some of the 'system' keys, since they don't actually send
    data,
    | > but rather modify it before the keyboard sends it.
    | >
    | > "FingAZ" <darren*rem0ve*> wrote in message
    | > | It occurs on all PS/2 connection based keyboards- infact- press and
    hold
    | > the
    | > | up, right and down keys. notice nothing happens and the intended
    action
    | > | occurs, now press the up right and down keys and hold em and it'll
    bleep
    | > | through your PC speaker? don't know why this is but...?? or both ctrls
    | > with
    | > | the right shift key- causes a system beep again, try with both ctrl
    keys
    | > and
    | > | the left shift and nothing happens? It makes no sense- any explanation
    | out
    | > | there?
    | > |
    | > | FingAZ.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Sky King" <> wrote in message
    | can

    | have
    | > | with
    | You
    | > have
    | go

    | > if

    | than

    Suggest
    | > you
    | > think

    | > |
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Jan 1, 2005
  10. FingAZ

    FingAZ Guest

    I suppose thats the answer :) so no difference between a PS/2 and USB for
    sure? if i can find a USB keyboard i will try it jus to make sure cos im
    stubborn :) lol
    Thanks for everyones input on this matter :)

    FingAZ

    FingAZ, Jan 1, 2005