Keyboard stops working - software problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by aspasia, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. aspasia

    aspasia Guest

    Lately, unpredictably, my keyboard will stop working, so I have to
    resort to the mouse to move things around, and cannot compose
    messages; have to do them on an editor and copy/paste into
    email client.

    Then I reboot, and all is well!

    This is becoming a pain.

    Since the keyboard works fine most of the time,
    I'd guess the software. What do you-all think?
    If it is the software, what can I do about it?

    Running a Dell Dimension XPS 1450, with 98SE.

    Thanks for any input.

    --

    Baffled

    aspasia, Apr 8, 2005

  2. aspasia

    Guest Guest

    "aspasia" <> wrote in message

    > ... my keyboard will stop working...

    So you say your keyboard stops working.

    > ... have to do them on an editor ...

    But your keyboard works in an editor (so you can copy/paste).

    Apparently you keyboard IS working. As to why it stop working within a
    *particular* application, well you neglected to mention that application
    so no one can provide help. Here's a wild guess: hit the Alt key when
    the keyboard stops working as maybe you hit a key combo that fires the
    menu keyboard navigation.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2005

  3. aspasia

    Ray Guest

    aspasia wrote:
    > Lately, unpredictably, my keyboard will stop working, so I have to
    > resort to the mouse to move things around, and cannot compose
    > messages; have to do them on an editor and copy/paste into
    > email client.
    >
    > Then I reboot, and all is well!
    >
    > This is becoming a pain.
    >
    > Since the keyboard works fine most of the time,
    > I'd guess the software. What do you-all think?
    > If it is the software, what can I do about it?
    >
    > Running a Dell Dimension XPS 1450, with 98SE.
    >
    > Thanks for any input.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Baffled

    Have you tried replacing it with a different keyboard and see if you get
    the same problem? Keyboards have been known to start acting up funny.

    Ray, Apr 8, 2005
  4. aspasia

    aspasia Guest

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:00:18 -0500, <Vanguard> wrote:

    >"aspasia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ... my keyboard will stop working...

    >So you say your keyboard stops working.
    >
    >> ... have to do them on an editor ...

    >But your keyboard works in an editor (so you can copy/paste).
    >
    >Apparently you keyboard IS working. As to why it stop working within a
    >*particular* application, well you neglected to mention that application
    >so no one can provide help. Here's a wild guess: hit the Alt key when
    >the keyboard stops working as maybe you hit a key combo that fires the
    >menu keyboard navigation.

    Oh, sorry - the app. involved is my email client, Forte Agent.
    Are you thinking that there could be a software problem within Agent?

    I'll try your "Alt key" solution next time it happens (shudder).

    Thanks for help.

    --

    Baffled

    aspasia, Apr 8, 2005
  5. aspasia wrote:

    > Lately, unpredictably, my keyboard will stop working, so I have to
    > resort to the mouse to move things around, and cannot compose
    > messages; have to do them on an editor and copy/paste into
    > email client.
    >
    > Then I reboot, and all is well!

    So the keyboard _still_ works in the editor, but not in the application you
    wanted to? Must either be the software hanging (but then you couldn't paste
    things into it, and it also would not respond to mouse actions) or
    something weird was sent from your keyboard to the application.
    Now, does the numlock light still go on/off when your application has focus
    and you press it?
    What if you gut a stuck ctrl key - can you try to press them a few times
    with others in between, and backspaces/del, to hopefully get it "unstuck"?

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 8, 2005
  6. aspasia

    Guest Guest

    "aspasia" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:00:18 -0500, <Vanguard> wrote:
    >
    >>"aspasia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> ... my keyboard will stop working...

    >>So you say your keyboard stops working.
    >>
    >>> ... have to do them on an editor ...

    >>But your keyboard works in an editor (so you can copy/paste).
    >>
    >>Apparently you keyboard IS working. As to why it stop working within
    >>*particular* application, well you neglected to mention that
    >>application
    >>so no one can provide help. Here's a wild guess: hit the Alt key when
    >>the keyboard stops working as maybe you hit a key combo that fires the
    >>menu keyboard navigation.

    > Oh, sorry - the app. involved is my email client, Forte Agent.
    > Are you thinking that there could be a software problem within Agent?
    >
    > I'll try your "Alt key" solution next time it happens (shudder).
    >
    > Thanks for help.

    No, not a software bug, but I've noticed that sometimes I might mean to
    hit Alt+somekey but I hit just the Alt key. This often will trigger the
    app to activate the menubar (so you can just use the arrow and character
    keys to navigate it). When activated, the character keys may activate a
    particular menu to drop down but if you don't happen to hit any of those
    keys then you don't get reminded that you are in the menubar. When the
    menubar is activated, focus is on it and not in the body of the window
    which makes it look like you can't type. So hit the Alt key again to
    remove focus from the menubar.

    The other thing to look for is if focus has been stolen away from your
    current application (so some other window is active). You'll be typing
    in one window, focus gets stolen away, and it looks like you can't type
    anymore in your window. A pop-under that doesn't show atop your current
    window but steals focus can do this. Look at your titlebar to see if it
    is the currently active window. If not, look around to see if any of
    the visible windows is the active one by its titlebar; if none are,
    minimize what you thought was the current window to look underneath it.
    I've even seen applications that open a modal window but it didn't
    appear on top. So it could be some action you perform in the
    problematic application that causes this. A modal child window will
    lockout the parent window; i.e., you have to take care of the child in
    order to work with the parent again (e.g., an error dialog window). A
    non-modal window lets you use both the child and parent windows (e.g.,
    you open a window to compose a new e-mail while still being able to use
    the e-mail program).

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2005
  7. aspasia

    aspasia Guest

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:00:18 -0500, <Vanguard> wrote:

    >"aspasia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ... my keyboard will stop working...

    >So you say your keyboard stops working.
    >
    >> ... have to do them on an editor ...

    >But your keyboard works in an editor (so you can copy/paste).
    >
    >Apparently you keyboard IS working. As to why it stop working within a
    >*particular* application, well you neglected to mention that application
    >so no one can provide help. Here's a wild guess: hit the Alt key when
    >the keyboard stops working as maybe you hit a key combo that fires the
    >menu keyboard navigation.

    I must have been out to lunch when I said that my keyboard
    worked on an editor during one of those keyboard-frozen episodes!

    No, it does not. Just had another incident, and made sure to check
    this time. Keyboard does NOT work.

    Does that begin to sound like keyboard software, or something
    mechanical in the keyboard? It seems to work OK when it works.

    If I go out in the garage and find an old keyboard, will I be
    able just to plug it in, or will it need its own software? Yes,
    it's a dumb question, but it's been so long since I changed
    keyboards, I can't remember what I did then.

    --

    Baffled

    aspasia, Apr 11, 2005