Keyboard stopped working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aussie Bomber, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Using Win XP Home SP1

    Yesterday while using dial up internet connection my keyboards stopped
    working.

    I have a laptop with an extra "normal" keyboard attached to USB port
    and this has worked fine for months.

    Both the laptop keyboard and the extra keyboard stopped working.

    Only thing I could do was reboot and lose dial up connection.

    After reboot all OK again.

    My question is, if this happens again is there anything I can do to
    get back keyboard function without rebooting so that I can continue
    internet session without having to redial?

    Thanks for any info.

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!
    Aussie Bomber, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Aussie Bomber

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:27:21 +1000, Aussie Bomber <>
    wrote:

    >Using Win XP Home SP1
    >
    >Yesterday while using dial up internet connection my keyboards stopped
    >working.
    >
    >I have a laptop with an extra "normal" keyboard attached to USB port
    >and this has worked fine for months.
    >
    >Both the laptop keyboard and the extra keyboard stopped working.
    >
    >Only thing I could do was reboot and lose dial up connection.
    >
    >After reboot all OK again.
    >
    >My question is, if this happens again is there anything I can do to
    >get back keyboard function without rebooting so that I can continue
    >internet session without having to redial?
    >
    >Thanks for any info.

    Probably not. You're fortunate that the problem was so easly solved.
    Unk, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Aussie Bomber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Aussie Bomber" <> wrote in message
    >| Using Win XP Home SP1
    >|
    >| Yesterday while using dial up internet connection my keyboards
    >| stopped working.
    >|
    >| I have a laptop with an extra "normal" keyboard attached to USB port
    >| and this has worked fine for months.
    >|
    >| Both the laptop keyboard and the extra keyboard stopped working.
    >|
    >| Only thing I could do was reboot and lose dial up connection.
    >|
    >| After reboot all OK again.
    >|
    >| My question is, if this happens again is there anything I can do to
    >| get back keyboard function without rebooting so that I can continue
    >| internet session without having to redial?
    >|
    >| Thanks for any info.

    This is not an un-typical problem - Windows probably locked up, not the
    hardware. If, however, it becomes a frequent occurance, you may need to do
    some serious diagnostics.

    One of the things I do if my keyboard stops responding is to pop an audio CD
    into the drive - if Windows is totally locked, it won't start the audio
    player. Then it's "unplug and pray" instead of "plug and play" <g> (i.e.,
    reboot by forced powerdown, and pray nothing crashed).

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 27, 2004
  4. On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:49:26 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Aussie Bomber" <> wrote in message
    >>| Using Win XP Home SP1
    >>|
    >>| Yesterday while using dial up internet connection my keyboards
    >>| stopped working.
    >>|
    >>| I have a laptop with an extra "normal" keyboard attached to USB port
    >>| and this has worked fine for months.
    >>|
    >>| Both the laptop keyboard and the extra keyboard stopped working.
    >>|
    >>| Only thing I could do was reboot and lose dial up connection.
    >>|
    >>| After reboot all OK again.
    >>|
    >>| My question is, if this happens again is there anything I can do to
    >>| get back keyboard function without rebooting so that I can continue
    >>| internet session without having to redial?
    >>|
    >>| Thanks for any info.
    >>|

    >This is not an un-typical problem - Windows probably locked up, not the
    >hardware. If, however, it becomes a frequent occurance, you may need to do
    >some serious diagnostics.
    >
    >One of the things I do if my keyboard stops responding is to pop an audio CD
    >into the drive - if Windows is totally locked, it won't start the audio
    >player. Then it's "unplug and pray" instead of "plug and play" <g> (i.e.,
    >reboot by forced powerdown, and pray nothing crashed).

    Thanks for response.

    What I forgot to say is that mouse was still working which allowed me
    to continue navigating the web in a limited way but could not enter
    details in forms!

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!
    Aussie Bomber, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Aussie Bomber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Aussie Bomber" <> wrote in message
    >| On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:49:26 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    >| <> wrote:
    >|
    >| >"Aussie Bomber" <> wrote in message
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|

    >| >This is not an un-typical problem - Windows probably locked up, not
    >| >the hardware. If, however, it becomes a frequent occurance, you may
    >| >need to do some serious diagnostics.
    >| >
    >| >One of the things I do if my keyboard stops responding is to pop an
    >| >audio CD into the drive - if Windows is totally locked, it won't
    >| >start the audio player. Then it's "unplug and pray" instead of
    >| >"plug and play" <g> (i.e., reboot by forced powerdown, and pray
    >| >nothing crashed).
    >|
    >| Thanks for response.
    >|
    >| What I forgot to say is that mouse was still working which allowed me
    >| to continue navigating the web in a limited way but could not enter
    >| details in forms!

    Then that would be a definately different problem <g>! Did you unplug the
    USB keyboard and plug it back in? My USB mouse sometimes locks and doing
    that helps. Hopefully you won't get the lockup again, but if you do, maybe
    that would work.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Aussie Bomber

    John Stubbs Guest

    Aussie Bomber <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Using Win XP Home SP1
    >
    > Yesterday while using dial up internet connection my keyboards stopped
    > working.
    >
    > I have a laptop with an extra "normal" keyboard attached to USB port
    > and this has worked fine for months.
    >
    > Both the laptop keyboard and the extra keyboard stopped working.
    >
    > Only thing I could do was reboot and lose dial up connection.
    >
    > After reboot all OK again.
    >
    > My question is, if this happens again is there anything I can do to
    > get back keyboard function without rebooting so that I can continue
    > internet session without having to redial?

    Belated comment -

    I had this on a laptop and found that CTRL and SHIFT were still
    working and that double clicking an item would bring up properties
    instead of opening the file. Also some keys would open menu items at
    top of window!

    So that lead me to think that ALT key might be at fault so a few taps
    on that and keyboard went back to normal!!

    Must have been a sticky ALT key.

    Hope this helps.
    John Stubbs, Aug 6, 2004
  7. On 5 Aug 2004 19:21:10 -0700, (John Stubbs)
    wrote:

    >Aussie Bomber <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Using Win XP Home SP1
    >>
    >> Yesterday while using dial up internet connection my keyboards stopped
    >> working.

    > ..... snip .....

    >Belated comment -
    >
    >I had this on a laptop and found that CTRL and SHIFT were still
    >working and that double clicking an item would bring up properties
    >instead of opening the file. Also some keys would open menu items at
    >top of window!
    >
    >So that lead me to think that ALT key might be at fault so a few taps
    >on that and keyboard went back to normal!!
    >
    >Must have been a sticky ALT key.
    >
    >Hope this helps.

    Thanks Stubbo - I'll give that a try next time it happens!
    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!
    Aussie Bomber, Aug 8, 2004