Keyboard "skipping"

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChrisCoaster, Jul 3, 2011.

  1. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
    updates. Windows Vista 32 SP1.

    Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! I'm tping like I
    norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
    keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
    type!

    No corrections follow:

    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
    the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
    liberty and justice for all.

    My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. Land whre
    my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
    freedom ring.

    An suggestions

    -hrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 3, 2011

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
    > updates. Windows Vista 32 SP1.
    >
    > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! I'm tping like I
    > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
    > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
    > type!
    >
    > No corrections follow:
    >
    > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
    > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
    > liberty and justice for all.
    >
    > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. Land whre
    > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
    > freedom ring.
    >
    > An suggestions
    >
    > -hrisCoaster

    Got another keyboard ?

    You can connect multiple keyboards to a computer at the same
    time, for testing. Like a PS/2 one and a USB one. Compare
    and contrast...

    What is your percentage CPU like ? Is the computer busy
    for some reason ? Do any other USB devices lag ? Do you
    have a running webcam and the keyboard on the same USB stack ?

    While it would be fun to pretend there was a keylogger
    running on your machine, it wouldn't be very useful if
    it corrupted the input :)

    Keyboards use the "scan matrix" concept. Keys are arranged in
    rows and columns (like maybe a 7x17 matrix), and the matrix
    doesn't "align" to the key layout. The keyboard is wired in
    what appears to be a relatively random way. If a scan wire
    in the keyboard goes bad, you should see *consistent* errors
    on certain specific keys. Such as key repeats only on
    certain keys. Or certain keys not working at all. But your
    symptoms above, almost look like a power problem. And how
    likely is that ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 3, 2011

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 3, 2:39 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoasterwrote:
    > > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
    > > updates.  Windows Vista 32 SP1.

    > > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!!  I'm tping like I
    > > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
    > > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
    > > type!

    > > No corrections follow:

    > > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
    > > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
    > > liberty and justice for all.

    > > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing.  Land whre
    > > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
    > > freedom ring.

    > > An suggestions

    > > -hrisCoaster

    > Got another keyboard ?
    >
    > You can connect multiple keyboards to a computer at the same
    > time, for testing. Like a PS/2 one and a USB one. Compare
    > and contrast...
    >
    > What is your percentage CPU like ? Is the computer busy
    > for some reason ? Do any other USB devices lag ? Do you
    > have a running webcam and the keyboard on the same USB stack ?
    >
    > While it would be fun to pretend there was a keylogger
    > running on your machine, it wouldn't be very useful if
    > it corrupted the input :)
    >
    > Keyboards use the "scan matrix" concept. Keys are arranged in
    > rows and columns (like maybe a 7x17 matrix), and the matrix
    > doesn't "align" to the key layout. The keyboard is wired in
    > what appears to be a relatively random way. If a scan wire
    > in the keyboard goes bad, you should see *consistent* errors
    > on certain specific keys. Such as key repeats only on
    > certain keys. Or certain keys not working at all. But your
    > symptoms above, almost look like a power problem. And how
    > likely is that ?
    >
    >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________
    CPU is at 5-10%, 60% "maximum frequency"(whadeverthephuqethadis!)

    No webcams instaled.

    The only hting we have to fear is fear itself - Franklin elano
    Roosevelt

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 4, 2011
  4. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 3, 8:35 pm, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    > On Jul 3, 2:39 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >

    > > ChrisCoasterwrote:
    > > > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
    > > > updates.  Windows Vista 32 SP1.

    > > > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!!  I'm tping like I
    > > > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
    > > > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
    > > > type!

    > > > No corrections follow:

    > > > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
    > > > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
    > > > liberty and justice for all.

    > > > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing.  Land whre
    > > > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
    > > > freedom ring.

    > > > An suggestions

    > > > -hrisCoaster

    > > Got another keyboard ?

    > > You can connect multiple keyboards to a computer at the same
    > > time, for testing. Like a PS/2 one and a USB one. Compare
    > > and contrast...

    > > What is your percentage CPU like ? Is the computer busy
    > > for some reason ? Do any other USB devices lag ? Do you
    > > have a running webcam and the keyboard on the same USB stack ?

    > > While it would be fun to pretend there was a keylogger
    > > running on your machine, it wouldn't be very useful if
    > > it corrupted the input :)

    > > Keyboards use the "scan matrix" concept. Keys are arranged in
    > > rows and columns (like maybe a 7x17 matrix), and the matrix
    > > doesn't "align" to the key layout. The keyboard is wired in
    > > what appears to be a relatively random way. If a scan wire
    > > in the keyboard goes bad, you should see *consistent* errors
    > > on certain specific keys. Such as key repeats only on
    > > certain keys. Or certain keys not working at all. But your
    > > symptoms above, almost look like a power problem. And how
    > > likely is that ?

    > >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    > ____________________
    > CPU is at 5-10%, 60% "maximum frequency"(whadeverthephuqethadis!)
    >
    > No webcams instaled.
    >
    > The only hting we have to fear is fear itself - Franklin elano
    > Roosevelt
    >
    > -CC- Hide quoted text -

    _______________________
    TW the mouse works just fine. And Paul - I never heard of USB being
    sluggish compared to PS2! Always thought it was the ther way rond.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 4, 2011
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 3, 2:39 pm, Paul <> wrote:

    >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    __________________________________
    The alphabet - NO backspacing fr correctins:

    abcdefghijklmnopqurstuvwxyz

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    abcefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

    Paul:

    I removed about 2/3 o the alphabet, both shift keys, space bar, and
    enter, and most of the numeric keypad to the right.

    I blew out about a 1/4 inch of hairs, dust, and ctumbs insdie the
    keyboad, and q-tiped it lean with Windex. The keys seem to respond
    quicker to strokes, but arent' always registering.

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 4, 2011
  6. ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
    > updates. Windows Vista 32 SP1.
    >
    > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! I'm tping like I
    > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
    > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
    > type!
    >
    > No corrections follow:
    >
    > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
    > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
    > liberty and justice for all.
    >
    > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. Land whre
    > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
    > freedom ring.
    >
    > An suggestions
    >
    > -hrisCoaster

    You don't mention whether it is a USB or PS/2 keyboard, wired or
    wireless. That makes a difference.

    First off, did you check the Keyboard Properties? (In the Control
    Panel?)

    Personally, maybe just because I'm stuck in the 20th Century, I prefer
    the wired PS/2 keyboards & mouses (mice?). (I only this year got rid
    of an old AT-style spare)

    Like anything, USB is a limited load. Too much in use can slow it
    down.

    Is it wireless? Local signal interference in the associated frequency
    range could possibly disrupt transmissions. Possibly - but that's
    probably not the problem.

    Keyboard could be malfunctioning. Despite the abuse they stand up to,
    eventually keyboards can wear out. The usual solution is buy a new one
    (or a used one). You can always get a backup or spare at Wally World
    for under $10 ($6 for USB, $8 for PS/2).

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

    James D Andrews, Jul 4, 2011
  7. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 4, 10:44 am, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    >

    > > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
    > > updates.  Windows Vista 32 SP1.

    > > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!!  I'm tping like I
    > > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
    > > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
    > > type!

    > > No corrections follow:

    > > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
    > > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
    > > liberty and justice for all.

    > > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing.  Land whre
    > > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
    > > freedom ring.

    > > An suggestions

    > > -hrisCoaster

    > You don't mention whether it is a USB or PS/2 keyboard, wired or
    > wireless.  That makes a difference.
    >
    > First off, did you check the Keyboard Properties?  (In the Control
    > Panel?)
    >
    > Personally, maybe just because I'm stuck in the 20th Century, I prefer
    > the wired PS/2 keyboards & mouses (mice?).  (I only this year got rid
    > of an old AT-style spare)
    >
    > Like anything, USB is a limited load.  Too much in use can slow it
    > down.
    >
    > Is it wireless?  Local signal interference in the associated frequency
    > range could possibly disrupt transmissions.  Possibly - but that's
    > probably not the problem.
    >
    > Keyboard could be malfunctioning.  Despite the abuse they stand up to,
    > eventually keyboards can wear out.  The usual solution is buy a new one
    > (or a used one).  You can always get a backup or spare at Wally World
    > for under $10 ($6 for USB, $8 for PS/2).
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    > - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)- Hide quoted text -

    _________________
    PS2.

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 4, 2011
  8. ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
    > On Jul 4, 10:44 am, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    >> ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    >>

    >>> Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
    >>> updates.  Windows Vista 32 SP1.

    >>> Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!!  I'm tping like I
    >>> norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
    >>> keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
    >>> type!

    snip

    >> You don't mention whether it is a USB or PS/2 keyboard, wired or
    >> wireless.  That makes a difference.
    >>

    >> Jim

    > _________________
    > PS2.

    Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then. Sorry.
    I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
    $13.99 :)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
    and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
    swept off to.
    -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

    James D Andrews, Jul 4, 2011
  9. ChrisCoaster

    totfit Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:34:32 -0500, James D Andrews
    <> wrote:

    >ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
    >> On Jul 4, 10:44 am, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    >>> ChrisCoaster was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:

    >snip
    >
    >>> You don't mention whether it is a USB or PS/2 keyboard, wired or
    >>> wireless.  That makes a difference.
    >>>

    >>> Jim

    >> _________________
    >> PS2.

    >Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then. Sorry.
    >I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
    >$13.99 :)

    It is likely not an issue with the keyboard. Possibly, but there are
    other things also. Do you have a know good keyboard? Also, look in the
    device manager and see what it says for this device (however it is
    connected.

    totfit, Jul 4, 2011
  10. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 4, 4:38 pm, totfit <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:34:32 -0500, James D Andrews
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :

    > >snip

    > >> _________________
    > >> PS2.

    > >Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then.  Sorry.
    > >I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
    > >$13.99   :)

    > It is likely not an issue with the keyboard. Possibly, but there are
    > other things also. Do you have a know good keyboard? Also, look in the
    > device manager and see what it says for this device (however it is
    > connected.- Hide quoted text -

    ___________________________

    I refer you to one of the other recent ChrisCoaster threads on here:
    two weeks ago my HP 6300f pavilion suffered blunt trauma and the
    harddrive had to be relaced. I ran the HP recovery discs friday night
    ito saturday morning, which sent my PC back to 2006(the launch year f
    Vista/Vista Home Premium/etc.)

    Since thene, Windows has been downoading and installing a thouand
    updates, sometines running in the background. If this doesn't have
    something to do with my keyboard than nothing else does!

    Additionally - and this warrants a separate thread - for those of you
    reading this who have Norton 2007 or later, openyour main Norton
    systray icon and look towar the bttom. Under the home tab is a
    scetion called identigty. The sub item is "phishing protection". it
    is CONSTANTLY TURNING ITSELF THE F#$K OFF!! This did not happen
    before the disaster necessitating the new harddrive and recovery.

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 5, 2011
  11. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 4, 4:38 pm, totfit <> wrote:

    The antiphishing feature in Norton gets turned off when I open
    Internet Explorer.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 5, 2011
  12. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > On Jul 4, 4:38 pm, totfit <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:34:32 -0500, James D Andrews
    >>

    >> <> wrote:
    >>> ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
    >>> snip
    >>> Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then. Sorry.
    >>> I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
    >>> $13.99 :)

    >> It is likely not an issue with the keyboard. Possibly, but there are
    >> other things also. Do you have a know good keyboard? Also, look in the
    >> device manager and see what it says for this device (however it is
    >> connected.- Hide quoted text -

    > ___________________________
    >
    > I refer you to one of the other recent ChrisCoaster threads on here:
    > two weeks ago my HP 6300f pavilion suffered blunt trauma and the
    > harddrive had to be relaced. I ran the HP recovery discs friday night
    > ito saturday morning, which sent my PC back to 2006(the launch year f
    > Vista/Vista Home Premium/etc.)
    >
    > Since thene, Windows has been downoading and installing a thouand
    > updates, sometines running in the background. If this doesn't have
    > something to do with my keyboard than nothing else does!
    >
    > Additionally - and this warrants a separate thread - for those of you
    > reading this who have Norton 2007 or later, openyour main Norton
    > systray icon and look towar the bttom. Under the home tab is a
    > scetion called identigty. The sub item is "phishing protection". it
    > is CONSTANTLY TURNING ITSELF THE F#$K OFF!! This did not happen
    > before the disaster necessitating the new harddrive and recovery.
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    This doesn't explain why the setting is going off, but it does
    describe a couple things added to IE.

    http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Phising-turned-off/td-p/87144

    "Please ensure that the following add-ons are enabled in IE.

    • Norton Toolbar
    • Symantec NCO BHO

    If any of the above add-ons is disabled in Internet explorer,
    then the Anti-phishing feature will be disabled."

    Judging by some of the comments from Symantec employees in that
    forum, about how some of their software works, it seems there is
    a lack of coordination amongst the various features. The owner
    of the computer shouldn't have to be aware of the component
    parts of that package, turning things on and off to make
    updates run properly etc.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2011
  13. "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > Just restored my HP 6300F pavilion yesterday, and installed all the
    > updates. Windows Vista 32 SP1.
    >
    > Now I thought it was my fingers, but this is crazy!! I'm tping like I
    > norally do ight now, and the keypoard is either not regstering certin
    > keys or it s puting up the character next t the one I intended to
    > type!
    >
    > No corrections follow:
    >
    > I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States o America, and to
    > the Republic r whch it stands, one nation under God, indivsible with
    > liberty and justice for all.
    >
    > My country tis of hee sweet landof liberty of thee I sing. Land whre
    > my fathers died land of the pligrims pride fo every mountainside let
    > freedom ring.
    >
    > An suggestions
    >
    > -hrisCoaster

    You have a switch contact issue inside of the keys. Go buy yourself a new
    keyboard.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 5, 2011
  14. "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    ___________________________

[...]

    Having Norton protect your computer is like having a guy named Guido protect
    your business.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 5, 2011
  15. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 4, 11:26 pm, Paul <> wrote:

    >     "Please ensure that the following add-ons are enabled in IE.
    >
    >      • Norton Toolbar
    >      • Symantec NCO BHO
    >
    >      If any of the above add-ons is disabled in Internet explorer,
    >      then the Anti-phishing feature will be disabled."
    >

    >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    ________________________
    Where can I find those, Paul?

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 6, 2011
  16. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 5, 11:21 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > On Jul 4, 4:38 pm, totfit <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:34:32 -0500, James D Andrews

    > > <> wrote:
    > > >ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :

    > > >snip

    > > >Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then. Sorry.
    > > >I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
    > > >$13.99 :)

    > > It is likely not an issue with the keyboard. Possibly, but there are
    > > other things also. Do you have a know good keyboard? Also, look in the
    > > device manager and see what it says for this device (however it is
    > > connected.- Hide quoted text -

    > ___________________________
    >
    > I refer you to one of the other recent ChrisCoaster threads on here:
    > two weeks ago my HP 6300f pavilion suffered blunt trauma and the
    > harddrive had to be relaced.  I ran the HP recovery discs friday night
    > ito saturday morning, which sent my PC back to 2006(the launch year f
    > Vista/Vista Home Premium/etc.)
    >
    > Since thene, Windows has been downoading and installing a thouand
    > updates, sometines running in the background.  If this doesn't have
    > something to do with my keyboard than nothing else does!
    >
    > Additionally - and this warrants a separate thread - for those of you
    > reading this who have Norton 2007 or later, openyour main Norton
    > systray icon and look towar the bttom.  Under the home tab is a
    > scetion called identigty.  The sub item is "phishing protection".  it
    > is CONSTANTLY TURNING ITSELF THE F#$K OFF!!  This did not happen
    > before the disaster necessitating the new harddrive and recovery.
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    > Having Norton protect your computer is like having a guy named Guido protect
    > your business.- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________________

    I guess you missed the part Jeff about my having to rebuild my OS
    using HP recovery DVDs?

    It wasn't like this before my bout of "pc rage". The Anti-phishing
    feature stayed ON as did all other features of Norton.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 6, 2011
  17. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > On Jul 4, 11:26 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Please ensure that the following add-ons are enabled in IE.
    >>
    >> • Norton Toolbar
    >> • Symantec NCO BHO
    >>
    >> If any of the above add-ons is disabled in Internet explorer,
    >> then the Anti-phishing feature will be disabled."
    >>

    >> Paul- Hide quoted text -

    > ________________________
    > Where can I find those, Paul?
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    I have an older version of IE, but it still has Tools:Manage Add-ons.

    Firefox has a Tools:Add-Ons menu as well.

    And if, in the Firefox URL place, you type

    about:plugins

    that shows what plugins are installed. A plugin handles
    things like Acrobat for PDF, or Flash for Flash content.

    Add-ons are additional functions added to the browser, which
    may not be "content focused". An add-on, for example, can
    inspect SQL databases. An add-on I use in Firefox, changes the
    Awesome Bar into the classical URL bar look. Plugins are
    more concerned with things like extending the media types
    the browser can handle.

    Norton is using add-ons, to extend the handling of URLs
    and examining them before the browser gets to use them.
    Or something like that.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 6, 2011
  18. "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    On Jul 5, 11:21 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > On Jul 4, 4:38 pm, totfit <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:34:32 -0500, James D Andrews

    > > <> wrote:
    > > >ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :

    > > >snip

    > > >Probably time to break down and get a new keyboard then. Sorry.
    > > >I just saw Geeks.com has a really cool looking illuminated keyboard for
    > > >$13.99 :)

    > > It is likely not an issue with the keyboard. Possibly, but there are
    > > other things also. Do you have a know good keyboard? Also, look in the
    > > device manager and see what it says for this device (however it is
    > > connected.- Hide quoted text -

    > ___________________________
    >
    > I refer you to one of the other recent ChrisCoaster threads on here:
    > two weeks ago my HP 6300f pavilion suffered blunt trauma and the
    > harddrive had to be relaced. I ran the HP recovery discs friday night
    > ito saturday morning, which sent my PC back to 2006(the launch year f
    > Vista/Vista Home Premium/etc.)
    >
    > Since thene, Windows has been downoading and installing a thouand
    > updates, sometines running in the background. If this doesn't have
    > something to do with my keyboard than nothing else does!
    >
    > Additionally - and this warrants a separate thread - for those of you
    > reading this who have Norton 2007 or later, openyour main Norton
    > systray icon and look towar the bttom. Under the home tab is a
    > scetion called identigty. The sub item is "phishing protection". it
    > is CONSTANTLY TURNING ITSELF THE F#$K OFF!! This did not happen
    > before the disaster necessitating the new harddrive and recovery.
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    > Having Norton protect your computer is like having a guy named Guido
    > protect
    > your business.- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________________

    I guess you missed the part Jeff about my having to rebuild my OS
    using HP recovery DVDs?

    It wasn't like this before my bout of "pc rage". The Anti-phishing
    feature stayed ON as did all other features of Norton.

    -CC

    ==============================
    Norton is the problem, not the solution. Certainly not the avoidance of the
    problem.

    You lost the keyboard driver, OR the keyboard is merely taking this
    inopportune time to take a bye. Either way, you need a keyboard.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 7, 2011
  19. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 5, 11:21 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >> "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    >> On Jul 4, 4:38 pm, totfit <> wrote:

    >> > It is likely not an issue with the keyboard. Possibly, but there are
    >> > other things also. Do you have a know good keyboard? Also, look in the
    >> > device manager and see what it says for this device (however it is
    >> > connected.- Hide quoted text -

    >> ___________________________
    >>
    >> I refer you to one of the other recent ChrisCoaster threads on here:
    >> two weeks ago my HP 6300f pavilion suffered blunt trauma and the
    >> harddrive had to be relaced. I ran the HP recovery discs friday night
    >> ito saturday morning, which sent my PC back to 2006(the launch year f
    >> Vista/Vista Home Premium/etc.)
    >>
    >> Since thene, Windows has been downoading and installing a thouand
    >> updates, sometines running in the background. If this doesn't have
    >> something to do with my keyboard than nothing else does!
    >>
    >> Additionally - and this warrants a separate thread - for those of you
    >> reading this who have Norton 2007 or later, openyour main Norton
    >> systray icon and look towar the bttom. Under the home tab is a
    >> scetion called identigty. The sub item is "phishing protection". it
    >> is CONSTANTLY TURNING ITSELF THE F#$K OFF!! This did not happen
    >> before the disaster necessitating the new harddrive and recovery.
    >>
    >> -ChrisCoaster

    >> Having Norton protect your computer is like having a guy named Guido
    >> protect
    >> your business.- Hide quoted text -

    > ____________________________
    >
    > I guess you missed the part Jeff about my having to rebuild my OS
    > using HP recovery DVDs?
    >
    > It wasn't like this before my bout of "pc rage". The Anti-phishing
    > feature stayed ON as did all other features of Norton.
    >
    > -CC
    >
    > ==============================
    > Norton is the problem, not the solution. Certainly not the avoidance of
    > the problem.
    >
    > You lost the keyboard driver, OR the keyboard is merely taking this
    > inopportune time to take a bye. Either way, you need a keyboard.

    I don't know that Norton is the problem, but I hold Norton in extremely low
    regard. I have found that Norton is itself the very virus program that you
    seek to protect yourself from. If you don't believe me, try to uninstall it
    and see what happens.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 7, 2011
  20. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    >> On Jul 5, 11:21 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >>> "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    >>> ___________________________
    >>>
    >>> I refer you to one of the other recent ChrisCoaster threads on here:
    >>> two weeks ago my HP 6300f pavilion suffered blunt trauma and the
    >>> harddrive had to be relaced. I ran the HP recovery discs friday night
    >>> ito saturday morning, which sent my PC back to 2006(the launch year f
    >>> Vista/Vista Home Premium/etc.)
    >>>
    >>> Since thene, Windows has been downoading and installing a thouand
    >>> updates, sometines running in the background. If this doesn't have
    >>> something to do with my keyboard than nothing else does!
    >>>
    >>> Additionally - and this warrants a separate thread - for those of you
    >>> reading this who have Norton 2007 or later, openyour main Norton
    >>> systray icon and look towar the bttom. Under the home tab is a
    >>> scetion called identigty. The sub item is "phishing protection". it
    >>> is CONSTANTLY TURNING ITSELF THE F#$K OFF!! This did not happen
    >>> before the disaster necessitating the new harddrive and recovery.
    >>>
    >>> -ChrisCoaster
    >>>
    >>> ===============================================
    >>>
    >>> Having Norton protect your computer is like having a guy named Guido
    >>> protect
    >>> your business.- Hide quoted text -

    >> ____________________________
    >>
    >> I guess you missed the part Jeff about my having to rebuild my OS
    >> using HP recovery DVDs?
    >>
    >> It wasn't like this before my bout of "pc rage". The Anti-phishing
    >> feature stayed ON as did all other features of Norton.
    >>
    >> -CC
    >>
    >> ==============================
    >> Norton is the problem, not the solution. Certainly not the avoidance of
    >> the problem.
    >>
    >> You lost the keyboard driver, OR the keyboard is merely taking this
    >> inopportune time to take a bye. Either way, you need a keyboard.
    >>

    > I don't know that Norton is the problem, but I hold Norton in extremely
    > low regard. I have found that Norton is itself the very virus program that
    > you seek to protect yourself from. If you don't believe me, try to
    > uninstall it and see what happens.

    In fairness to Norton, I hold McAffee in low regard too.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 7, 2011