Keyboard Sizes

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Harry, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
    a size that is appropriate for your foot.
    Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.

    But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
    one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
    your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
    you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.

    You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
    with the same key spacing and key sizes.

    Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
    geniuses in the world who can design the most
    convoluted and grandiose computers and software
    (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
    equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
    haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
    hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.

    For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    something quite obvious.

    Harry, Oct 23, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Harry <> wrote:

    >For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    >of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    >angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    >wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    >something quite obvious.

    Instead of depending on Microsoft, I just Googled "different sized
    keyboards", and the very first hit was this:
    <http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/reference/tech/altkey.html>.

    There were a few other likely-looking hits on the first page, but I'll
    leave you to pursue them...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Harry wrote:
    > Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
    > a size that is appropriate for your foot.
    > Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
    >
    > But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
    > one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
    > your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
    > you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
    >
    > You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
    > with the same key spacing and key sizes.
    >
    > Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
    > geniuses in the world who can design the most
    > convoluted and grandiose computers and software
    > (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
    > equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
    > haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
    > hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
    >
    > For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    > of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    > angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    > wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    > something quite obvious.

    For me there is only one keyboard... the original MS Natural, which
    Microsoft hasn't sold since around 1997 when it was replaced with the
    inferior 'Elite' model. I don't care that this keyboard is large, it has
    the correct orientations of the 'arrow' keys, and most importantly does
    _not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
    installed to use.

    I shall continue to use my two, and seek 'new' ones until they die, I
    can no longer find replacements, or someone finally comes out with a
    suitable replacement.

    And while I'm commenting, 'Java' and 'elegant' do not go together in the
    same sentence. My vote is for C.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Harry

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:50:07 +1300, The Other Guy
    <> wrote:

    >Harry wrote:
    >> Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
    >> a size that is appropriate for your foot.
    >> Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
    >>
    >> But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
    >> one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
    >> your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
    >> you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
    >>
    >> You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
    >> with the same key spacing and key sizes.
    >>
    >> Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
    >> geniuses in the world who can design the most
    >> convoluted and grandiose computers and software
    >> (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
    >> equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
    >> haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
    >> hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
    >>
    >> For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    >> of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    >> angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    >> wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    >> something quite obvious.
    >>

    >For me there is only one keyboard... the original MS Natural, which
    >Microsoft hasn't sold since around 1997 when it was replaced with the
    >inferior 'Elite' model. I don't care that this keyboard is large, it has
    >the correct orientations of the 'arrow' keys, and most importantly does
    >_not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
    >installed to use.
    >
    >I shall continue to use my two, and seek 'new' ones until they die, I
    >can no longer find replacements, or someone finally comes out with a
    >suitable replacement.
    >
    >And while I'm commenting, 'Java' and 'elegant' do not go together in the
    >same sentence. My vote is for C.
    >
    >The Other Guy

    I got a big black flash one with my new pc, bells and whistles I never
    used, got a real simple one now but still a few xtra buttons, I never
    use them but Muggle does, I am often middway when she leaps on the KB
    and I find myself rebooting or similar, real hassle.

    Squirrel :)

    I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    Squirrel, Oct 23, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    The Other Guy <> wrote:

    >...and most importantly does
    >_not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
    >installed to use.

    You mean it _does_ have additional keys you _do_ require software
    installed to use?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2005
  6. Harry

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    <snip>
    > I got a big black flash one with my new pc, bells and whistles I never
    > used, got a real simple one now but still a few xtra buttons, I never
    > use them but Muggle does, I am often middway when she leaps on the KB
    > and I find myself rebooting or similar, real hassle.
    >

    > Squirrel :)
    >

    > I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    My present fave(s): either an original IBM XT keyboard (aaahh: _very_
    tactile - and have remapped the left <alt> to a <windows> key under Win98SE)
    -or USB RF (cordless) keyboard that has a full-sized QWERTY but compressed
    numkeys/home/arrow-pad: works brilliantly as a literal 'laptop' keyboard:
    everythings there, can type with one hand if necessary, but for 'real' WP is
    big enough for 2 hands also..
    Best of both worlds.
    Nothing makes up for my cr*p typing tho!
    :)
    Cheers
    -P

    Pleb Plebian, Oct 23, 2005
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > The Other Guy <> wrote:
    >
    >> ...and most importantly does
    >> _not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
    >> installed to use.

    > You mean it _does_ have additional keys you _do_ require software
    > installed to use?

    That should be "...does not have any additional keys/buttons I require
    software installed to use."

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Oct 23, 2005
  8. In message <435b26ee$>, The Other Guy wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> The Other Guy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...and most importantly does
    >>> _not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
    >>> installed to use.

    >> You mean it _does_ have additional keys you _do_ require software
    >> installed to use?

    > That should be "...does not have any additional keys/buttons I require
    > software installed to use."

    Don't nobody tell me I ain't got too many double negatives. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2005
  9. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >>For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    >>of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    >>angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    >>wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    >>something quite obvious.

    > Instead of depending on Microsoft, I just Googled "different sized
    > keyboards", and the very first hit was this:
    > <http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/reference/tech/altkey.html>.
    >
    > There were a few other likely-looking hits on the first page, but I'll
    > leave you to pursue them...

    Your reference doesn't seem very helpful.
    It is mostly about software aids with one or two oblique
    references to alternate keyboards.

    Perhaps you misunderstood the point of my post.

    Keyboards should be readily available in sizes
    to match ones hands.

    They aren't. But a lot of effort has been put into
    designing new features into keyboards ... overlooking
    the most obvious necessary feature.

    Harry, Oct 23, 2005
  10. In message <>, Harry wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Harry <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    >>>of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    >>>angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    >>>wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    >>>something quite obvious.

    >> Instead of depending on Microsoft, I just Googled "different sized
    >> keyboards", and the very first hit was this:
    >> <http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/reference/tech/altkey.html>.
    >>
    >> There were a few other likely-looking hits on the first page, but I'll
    >> leave you to pursue them...

    > Your reference doesn't seem very helpful.
    > It is mostly about software aids with one or two oblique
    > references to alternate keyboards.

    Quickly revisiting that article and looking for links to actual keyboard
    hardware, it mentions:

    * Big Keys -- standard size computer keyboards with very large keys
    * Comfort Keyboards by Solutions for Humans
    * DataHand Ergonomic Keyboard by DataHand Systems, Inc.
    * Dicover Board from Don Johnston
    * FlexiBoard - customizable alternative keyboard.
    * Datalux offers a variety of alternative and reduced sized keyboards.
    * Fentek Systems -- key caps, key labels, "Happy Hacking Mini Keyboard,"
    "Mini TouchPad Keyboard," "Mini Keyboard with full size keys," or "Mini
    Keyboard with full size keys and built in TouchPad/" ; also a "Left Handed
    Keyboard/modular keyboard" and other keyboard related products.

    etc, etc, etc. (Check the original article for the actual links.)

    A bit more than "one or two oblique references", don't you think?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2005
  11. Harry

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:44:32 +1300, "Pleb Plebian"
    <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >> I got a big black flash one with my new pc, bells and whistles I never
    >> used, got a real simple one now but still a few xtra buttons, I never
    >> use them but Muggle does, I am often middway when she leaps on the KB
    >> and I find myself rebooting or similar, real hassle.
    >>

    >> Squirrel :)
    >>

    >> I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    >My present fave(s): either an original IBM XT keyboard (aaahh: _very_
    >tactile - and have remapped the left <alt> to a <windows> key under Win98SE)
    >-or USB RF (cordless) keyboard that has a full-sized QWERTY but compressed
    >numkeys/home/arrow-pad: works brilliantly as a literal 'laptop' keyboard:
    >everythings there, can type with one hand if necessary, but for 'real' WP is
    >big enough for 2 hands also..
    >Best of both worlds.
    >Nothing makes up for my cr*p typing tho!
    >:)
    >Cheers
    >-P

    Hey Pleb, hows the new toy going :)

    Squirrel, Oct 23, 2005
  12. "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
    > a size that is appropriate for your foot.
    > Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
    >
    > But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
    > one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
    > your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
    > you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
    >
    > You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
    > with the same key spacing and key sizes.
    >
    > Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
    > geniuses in the world who can design the most
    > convoluted and grandiose computers and software
    > (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
    > equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
    > haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
    > hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
    >
    > For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    > of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    > angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    > wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    > something quite obvious.

    why, you got fat hands?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Oct 24, 2005
  13. Harry

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, lhost says...
    > Harry wrote:
    > > Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
    > > a size that is appropriate for your foot.
    > > Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
    > >
    > > But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
    > > one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
    > > your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
    > > you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
    > >
    > > You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
    > > with the same key spacing and key sizes.
    > >
    > > Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
    > > geniuses in the world who can design the most
    > > convoluted and grandiose computers and software
    > > (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
    > > equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
    > > haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
    > > hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
    > >
    > > For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    > > of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    > > angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    > > wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    > > something quite obvious.
    > >

    > For me there is only one keyboard... the original MS Natural, which
    > Microsoft hasn't sold since around 1997 when it was replaced with the
    > inferior 'Elite' model. I don't care that this keyboard is large, it has
    > the correct orientations of the 'arrow' keys, and most importantly does
    > _not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
    > installed to use.

    Is there any way of putting one of these PS/2 keyboards on a USB port.

    Rob J, Oct 24, 2005
  14. Rob J wrote:
    > Is there any way of putting one of these PS/2 keyboards on a USB port.

    Yes, you can buy 2x PS/2 (keyboard/mouse) to USB adaptors.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Oct 24, 2005
  15. Harry

    Rob J Guest

    In article <435c303a$>, lhost says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    > > Is there any way of putting one of these PS/2 keyboards on a USB port.

    > Yes, you can buy 2x PS/2 (keyboard/mouse) to USB adaptors.

    Have seen those, how do they work. Do they translate the electrical
    signals for the PS/2 keyboard?

    It's a bit like saying you can get a serial to PS/2 adapter for a mouse,
    they actually don't work with all mice, the mouse has to be designed to
    work with those adapters.

    Rob J, Oct 24, 2005
  16. Rob J wrote:
    > In article <435c303a$>, lhost says...
    >
    >>Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there any way of putting one of these PS/2 keyboards on a USB port.

    >>Yes, you can buy 2x PS/2 (keyboard/mouse) to USB adaptors.

    > Have seen those, how do they work. Do they translate the electrical
    > signals for the PS/2 keyboard?

    No, I imagine they have a USB device chip inside, and a PS/2 controller
    chip inside.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 24, 2005
  17. Harry

    Harry Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
    >> a size that is appropriate for your foot.
    >> Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
    >>
    >> But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
    >> one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
    >> your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
    >> you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
    >>
    >> You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
    >> with the same key spacing and key sizes.
    >>
    >> Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
    >> geniuses in the world who can design the most
    >> convoluted and grandiose computers and software
    >> (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
    >> equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
    >> haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
    >> hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
    >>
    >> For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    >> of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    >> angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    >> wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    >> something quite obvious.
    >>

    > why, you got fat hands?

    No, but my head it so big I cannot see the keyboard.

    Harry, Oct 24, 2005
  18. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Harry wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Instead of depending on Microsoft, I just Googled "different sized
    >>> keyboards", and the very first hit was this:
    >>> <http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/reference/tech/altkey.html>.
    >>>
    >>> There were a few other likely-looking hits on the first page, but I'll
    >>> leave you to pursue them...

    >> Your reference doesn't seem very helpful.
    >> It is mostly about software aids with one or two oblique
    >> references to alternate keyboards.

    > Quickly revisiting that article and looking for links to actual keyboard
    > hardware, it mentions:
    >
    > * Big Keys -- standard size computer keyboards with very large keys

    How can it be a standard size yet have larger keys?

    > * Comfort Keyboards by Solutions for Humans
    > * DataHand Ergonomic Keyboard by DataHand Systems, Inc.

    Ergonomic, but not bigger or smaller size.

    > * Dicover Board from Don Johnston
    > * FlexiBoard - customizable alternative keyboard.

    Different key arrangements, not different size.

    > * Datalux offers a variety of alternative and reduced sized keyboards.
    > * Fentek Systems -- key caps, key labels, "Happy Hacking Mini Keyboard,"
    > "Mini TouchPad Keyboard," "Mini Keyboard with full size keys," or "Mini
    > Keyboard with full size keys and built in TouchPad/" ; also a "Left Handed
    > Keyboard/modular keyboard" and other keyboard related products.
    >
    > etc, etc, etc. (Check the original article for the actual links.)
    >
    > A bit more than "one or two oblique references", don't you think?

    Can I buy one in a shop somewhere in Auckland perhaps?

    Harry, Oct 24, 2005
  19. Harry

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
    > a size that is appropriate for your foot.
    > Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
    >
    > But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
    > one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
    > your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
    > you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
    >
    > You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
    > with the same key spacing and key sizes.
    >
    > Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
    > geniuses in the world who can design the most
    > convoluted and grandiose computers and software
    > (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
    > equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
    > haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
    > hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
    >
    > For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    > of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    > angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    > wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    > something quite obvious.

    Saw a neet one in the warehouse at the bace (hamilton Terapa) you could
    pop out parts of the keybord and incert key arragments like for games,
    they sold many different key arragments proberly pretty good if you are
    a gamer.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 24, 2005
  20. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
    >> a size that is appropriate for your foot.
    >> Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
    >>
    >> But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
    >> one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
    >> your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
    >> you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
    >>
    >> You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
    >> with the same key spacing and key sizes.
    >>
    >> Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
    >> geniuses in the world who can design the most
    >> convoluted and grandiose computers and software
    >> (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
    >> equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
    >> haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
    >> hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
    >>
    >> For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
    >> of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
    >> angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
    >> wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
    >> something quite obvious.
    >>

    > Saw a neet one in the warehouse at the bace (hamilton Terapa) you could
    > pop out parts of the keybord and incert key arragments like for games,
    > they sold many different key arragments proberly pretty good if you are
    > a gamer.

    I am not looking for a different key ararngement.

    Harry, Oct 25, 2005