    How do I write 5 degrees using a small zero after the figure rather
    than the word degree please?
    , Feb 25, 2008

  2. Guest

    , Feb 25, 2008

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > How do I write 5 degrees using a small zero after the figure rather
    > than the word degree please?

    Since your OS appears to be Win because of your newsagent and since your
    context seems to be a plaintext news message because that's where you
    are presently communicating, you can hold down the alt key and input
    0176 on the numeric keypad and release the alt key

    degree °

    That symbol is called ring or degree and it is an extended ascii or ansi
    character. In a 7 bit ascii environment it doesn't work.

    If the environment you want to use (or print/display) the character or
    the OS is something else, then you have to present your premise more
    clearly.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 25, 2008
  4. Sunny Guest

    <> wrote in message
    | How do I write 5 degrees using a small zero after the figure rather
    | than the word degree please?

    Press and hold down the ALT key while you type the four
    number Unicode value for the character.
    you have to use the number pad keys to type
    the Unicode character value.

    To determine what the Unicode value is for a particular character:
    Start Character Map.
    In the Font box, click the font you want to use.
    Click the special character that you want to use.
    The Unicode number that corresponds to the character you
    select appears in the lower right corner of the window.
    e.g.
    ¼ = Alt + 172
    ½ = Alt + 171
    ¾ = Alt + 0190
    © = Alt + 0169
    ® = Alt + 0174
    ° = Alt + 0176
    £ = Alt + 0163
    ¼ = Alt + 172
    ½ = Alt + 171
    ¾ = Alt + 0190
    © = Alt + 0169
    ® = Alt + 0174
    ° = Alt + 0176 (degrees)
    . = Alt + 0149 (bullet)
    Sunny, Feb 25, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 07:29:05 GMT, "Sunny" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >| How do I write 5 degrees using a small zero after the figure rather
    >| than the word degree please?
    >
    >Press and hold down the ALT key while you type the four
    >number Unicode value for the character.
    > you have to use the number pad keys to type
    >the Unicode character value.
    >
    >To determine what the Unicode value is for a particular character:
    >Start Character Map.
    >In the Font box, click the font you want to use.
    >Click the special character that you want to use.
    >The Unicode number that corresponds to the character you
    >select appears in the lower right corner of the window.
    >e.g.
    > ¼ = Alt + 172
    > ½ = Alt + 171
    > ¾ = Alt + 0190
    > © = Alt + 0169
    > ® = Alt + 0174
    > ° = Alt + 0176
    > £ = Alt + 0163
    > ¼ = Alt + 172
    > ½ = Alt + 171
    > ¾ = Alt + 0190
    > © = Alt + 0169
    > ® = Alt + 0174
    > ° = Alt + 0176 (degrees)
    > . = Alt + 0149 (bullet)

    Thanks Penny wise, Mike Easter and Sunny for your very helpful advice.
    , Feb 25, 2008
  6. DemoDisk Guest

    > wrote:
    >
    > > How do I write 5 degrees using a small zero after the figure rather
    > > than the word degree please?

    > Since your OS appears to be Win because of your newsagent and since

    your
    > context seems to be a plaintext news message because that's where you
    > are presently communicating, you can hold down the alt key and input
    > 0176 on the numeric keypad and release the alt key
    >
    > degree °
    >
    > That symbol is called ring or degree and it is an extended ascii or

    ansi
    > character. In a 7 bit ascii environment it doesn't work.
    >
    > If the environment you want to use (or print/display) the character or
    > the OS is something else, then you have to present your premise more
    > clearly.

    A week ago I used Alt + 0186. What's that?
    DemoDisk, Feb 26, 2008
  7. Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote:

    >you can hold down the alt key and input
    >> 0176 on the numeric keypad and release the alt key
    >>
    >> degree °

    >A week ago I used Alt + 0186. What's that?

    º 0186

    ° 0176

    --

    Clever bird
    http://i28.tinypic.com/2ypjkmq.gif
  8. Guest

    wrote:

    >>you can hold down the alt key and input
    >>> 0176 on the numeric keypad and release the alt key
    >>>
    >>> degree °

    >>A week ago I used Alt + 0186. What's that?

    >º 0186
    >
    >° 0176

    Missed the description
    0186 is a masculine ordinal indicator

  9. G. Morgan Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:

    >"Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > How do I write 5 degrees using a small zero after the figure rather
    >> > than the word degree please?

    >> Since your OS appears to be Win because of your newsagent and since

    >your
    >> context seems to be a plaintext news message because that's where you
    >> are presently communicating, you can hold down the alt key and input
    >> 0176 on the numeric keypad and release the alt key
    >>
    >> degree °
    >>
    >> That symbol is called ring or degree and it is an extended ascii or

    >ansi
    >> character. In a 7 bit ascii environment it doesn't work.
    >>
    >> If the environment you want to use (or print/display) the character or
    >> the OS is something else, then you have to present your premise more
    >> clearly.

    >A week ago I used Alt + 0186. What's that?

    A "Masculine ordinal".

    ASCII characters and symbols. Use numeric key pad.

    Alt+ 0161; ¡ (Inverted exclamation)
    Alt+ 0162; ¢ (Cent sign)
    Alt+ 0163; £ (Pound sterling)
    Alt+ 0164; ¤ (General currency sign)
    Alt+ 0165; ¥ (Yen sign)
    Alt+ 0166; ¦ (Broken vertical bar)
    Alt+ 0167; § (Section sign)
    Alt+ 0168; ¨ (Umlaut (diaeresis, trema))
    Alt+ 0169; © (Copyright)
    Alt+ 0170; ª (Feminine ordinal)
    Alt+ 0171; « (Left angle quote, guillemotleft)
    Alt+ 0172; ¬ (Not sign)
    Alt+ 0173; ­ (Soft hyphen)
    Alt+ 0174; ® (Registered trademark)
    Alt+ 0175; ¯ (Macron accent)
    Alt+ 0176; ° (Degree sign)
    Alt+ 0177; ± (Plus or minus)
    Alt+ 0178; ² (Superscript two)
    Alt+ 0179; ³ (Superscript three)
    Alt+ 0180; ´ (Acute accent)
    Alt+ 0181; µ (Micro sign)
    Alt+ 0182; ¶ (Paragraph sign)
    Alt+ 0183; · (Middle dot)
    Alt+ 0184; ¸ (Cedilla)
    Alt+ 0185; ¹ (Superscript one)
    Alt+ 0186; º (Masculine ordinal)
    Alt+ 0187; » (Right angle quote, guillemotright)
    Alt+ 0188; ¼ (Fraction one-fourth)
    Alt+ 0189; ½ (Fraction one-half)
    Alt+ 0190; ¾ (Fraction three-fourths)
    Alt+ 0191; ¿ (Inverted question mark)
    Alt+ 0192; À (Capital A, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0193; Á (Capital A, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0194; Â (Capital A, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0195; Ã (Capital A, tilde)
    Alt+ 0196; Ä (Capital A, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0197; Å (Capital A, ring)
    Alt+ 0198; Æ (Capital AE diphthong (ligature))
    Alt+ 0199; Ç (Capital C, cedilla)
    Alt+ 0200; È (Capital E, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0201; É (Capital E, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0202; Ê (Capital E, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0203; Ë (Capital E, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0204; Ì (Capital I, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0205; Í (Capital I, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0206; Î (Capital I, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0207; Ï (Capital I, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0208; Ð (Capital Eth, Icelandic)
    Alt+ 0209; Ñ (Capital N, tilde)
    Alt+ 0210; Ò (Capital O, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0211; Ó (Capital O, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0212; Ô (Capital O, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0213; Õ (Capital O, tilde)
    Alt+ 0214; Ö (Capital O, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0215; × (Multiply sign)
    Alt+ 0216; Ø (Capital O, slash)
    Alt+ 0217; Ù (Capital U, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0218; Ú (Capital U, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0219; Û (Capital U, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0220; Ü (Capital U, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0221; Ý (Capital Y, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0222; Þ (Capital THORN, Icelandic)
    Alt+ 0223; ß (Small sharp s, German (sz ligature))
    Alt+ 0224; à (Small a, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0225; á (Small a, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0226; â (Small a, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0227; ã (Small a, tilde)
    Alt+ 0228; ä (Small a, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0229; å (Small a, ring)
    Alt+ 0230; æ (Small ae diphthong (ligature))
    Alt+ 0231; ç (Small c, cedilla)
    Alt+ 0232; è (Small e, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0233; é (Small e, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0234; ê (Small e, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0235; ë (Small e, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0236; ì (Small i, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0237; í (Small i, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0238; î (Small i, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0239; ï (Small i, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0240; ð (Small eth, Icelandic)
    Alt+ 0241; ñ (Small n, tilde)
    Alt+ 0242; ò (Small o, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0243; ó (Small o, actue accent)
    Alt+ 0244; ô (Small o, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0245; õ (Small o, tilde)
    Alt+ 0246; ö (Small o, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0247; ÷ (Division sign)
    Alt+ 0248; ø (Small o, slash)
    Alt+ 0249; ù (Small u, grave accent)
    Alt+ 0250; ú (Small u, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0251; û (Small u, circumflex accent)
    Alt+ 0252; ü (Small u, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    Alt+ 0253; ý (Small y, acute accent)
    Alt+ 0254; þ (Small thorn, Icelandic)
    Alt+ 0255; ÿ (Small y, diaeresis or umlaut mark)
    --

    I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
    Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org
    G. Morgan, Feb 26, 2008
  10. Badger Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > How do I write 5 degrees using a small zero after the figure rather
    > than the word degree please?

    If you have a keyboard with a separate number pad, hold down the Alt key and
    type 0176 on the number pad. Note that this will NOT work if you use the
    numbers on the top line of your keyboard.
    Failing that, got to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map.
    Find the degree symbol then copy and paste it into your document.
    Badger
    Badger, Feb 27, 2008
  11. *alan* Guest

    *alan*, Mar 6, 2008