    beth Guest

    My new keyboard is without a standby button, is there a keyboard shortcut I
    can use instead? I would appreciate any help given , Thank You Beth.

    beth, Jun 15, 2005

  2. beth

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "beth" <> wrote in message
    news:d8pmjq$u5n$...
    > My new keyboard is without a standby button, is there a keyboard shortcut
    > I can use instead? I would appreciate any help given , Thank You Beth.

    Not usually. Exceptions would be most laptops I've used. It is possible to
    make an icon on your desktop or quick launch that would do it...but I'd have
    to do some research. And you'd have to tell me what operating system you are
    running.

    It's also possible once that shortcut is created that you could assign a
    shortcut key to it, like ctrl-shift-s.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 16, 2005

  3. beth

    beth Guest

    > "beth" <> wrote in message
    >> My new keyboard is without a standby button, is there a keyboard shortcut
    >> I can use instead? I would appreciate any help given , Thank You Beth.

    > Not usually. Exceptions would be most laptops I've used. It is possible to
    > make an icon on your desktop or quick launch that would do it...but I'd
    > have to do some research. And you'd have to tell me what operating system
    > you are running.
    >
    > It's also possible once that shortcut is created that you could assign a
    > shortcut key to it, like ctrl-shift-s.

    Thank you for taking the time to reply, I am running Windows XP , can you
    explain how I can make an icon or quick launch for the job, as I am not sure
    how to do this, Thanks Again Beth

    beth, Jun 16, 2005
  4. beth

    steve Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:14:16 +0100, beth wrote:

    > Thank you for taking the time to reply, I am running Windows XP , can you
    > explain how I can make an icon or quick launch for the job, as I am not sure
    > how to do this, Thanks Again Beth

    Beth,

    download autoit from www.hiddensoft.com install then:

    Create a small textfile called standby.au3 with the follwing line in it:

    shutdown(32)

    Right click the file and compile it from the context menu.

    Other codes:
    The shutdown code is a combination of the following values:
    0 = Logoff
    1 = Shutdown
    2 = Reboot
    4 = Force
    8 = Power down
    32= Suspend
    64= Hibernate

    The other program to have a look at is powerpro www.ppro.org, this is the
    most amazing bit of software ever, but a bit daunting to use at first.

    HTH

    Steve

    steve, Jun 16, 2005
  5. beth

    beth Guest

    >> Thank you for taking the time to reply, I am running Windows XP , can you
    >> explain how I can make an icon or quick launch for the job, as I am not
    >> sure
    >> how to do this, Thanks Again Beth

    > Beth,
    >
    > download autoit from www.hiddensoft.com install then:
    >
    > Create a small textfile called standby.au3 with the follwing line in it:
    >
    > shutdown(32)
    >
    > Right click the file and compile it from the context menu.
    >

    > Other codes:
    > The shutdown code is a combination of the following values:
    > 0 = Logoff
    > 1 = Shutdown
    > 2 = Reboot
    > 4 = Force
    > 8 = Power down
    > 32= Suspend
    > 64= Hibernate
    >
    > The other program to have a look at is powerpro www.ppro.org, this is the
    > most amazing bit of software ever, but a bit daunting to use at first.
    > Steve

    Thanks Steve, going to give it a try Thanks Again for time and trouble
    Beth

    beth, Jun 16, 2005
  6. beth

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:14:16 +0100, beth wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you for taking the time to reply, I am running Windows XP , can you
    >> explain how I can make an icon or quick launch for the job, as I am not
    >> sure
    >> how to do this, Thanks Again Beth

    > Beth,
    >
    > download autoit from www.hiddensoft.com install then:
    >
    > Create a small textfile called standby.au3 with the follwing line in it:
    >
    > shutdown(32)
    >
    > Right click the file and compile it from the context menu.
    >

    > Other codes:
    > The shutdown code is a combination of the following values:
    > 0 = Logoff
    > 1 = Shutdown
    > 2 = Reboot
    > 4 = Force
    > 8 = Power down
    > 32= Suspend
    > 64= Hibernate
    >
    > The other program to have a look at is powerpro www.ppro.org, this is the
    > most amazing bit of software ever, but a bit daunting to use at first.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Steve

    Yup - and here's another one. The article has a link to a similar file that
    can be used to create shutdown/suspend shortcuts.
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,120796,00.asp and complete
    instructions.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 17, 2005