    forward it is off my screen and I have tried everything to click it as a
    shortcut on my keyboard but cant , I wonder if any of the group can tell me
    a keyboard shortcut I can use please TIA

    PWB, Jan 23, 2008

  2. PWB

    Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote:

    >I have just been reading computeractive and tried to install virtual box and
    >ubuntu linux according to theyre instructions but where they say click
    >forward it is off my screen and I have tried everything to click it as a
    >shortcut on my keyboard but cant , I wonder if any of the group can tell me
    >a keyboard shortcut I can use please TIA

    Use your TAB key to tab to the selection, if off screen just know how
    many times to hit it then <enter>.
    --

    Ring pistol
    http://tinyurl.com/3akgcm

    , Jan 23, 2008

  3. PWB

    PeeCee Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >I have just been reading computeractive and tried to install virtual box
    >and ubuntu linux according to theyre instructions but where they say click
    >forward it is off my screen and I have tried everything to click it as a
    >shortcut on my keyboard but cant , I wonder if any of the group can tell me
    >a keyboard shortcut I can use please TIA

    Pennywise's suggestion is probably the most realistic.
    i.e. hit the tab key until you feel it is on the 'forward' key then press
    enter.
    I did a PCLinux install last night and had the same problem trying to
    examine the hardware setup.
    I was trying to findout what video settings were and I simply couldn't get
    there because thewindow went off screen.
    I tried the tab trick but couln't seem to land on the right button.

    I would hope the Linux guys that are into building installers take note of
    these sorts of issues.
    I've tried many Linux distro's over the years and invariably the success or
    not depended on being able to 'see' a button to click.
    So much so that the ease of install has become a sort of bench mark for me.
    i.e. if I can boot from the CD/DVD answer the keyboard/language/location
    questions and take the defaults for anything else and it isntalls to a
    graphic desktop, then it's a distro worth looking at in my eyes.

    And before anyone says 'drop to a terminal and type...' no I'm unlikely to
    do that.
    a) while having a smattering of command line knowledge, I don't have enough
    to rattle it off without thinking, or more to the point what to type in the
    first place. Double click an Icon I can do.
    b) if one does use the command line why do file names
    'Have_these_riducLous-long.filenames_Withupper-and-lOWERcase_and_shifted_charactERS_IN-them'

    In the end I managed to download the (nVidia) driver and install it via the
    command line (hence my bitch about command line stuff above) but even that
    was fraught with problems.
    How many neophites are going to know how to stop x to get the driver
    installed?

    Rant over for the day.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 23, 2008
  4. PWB

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:55:50 GMT, "PWB" <> wrote:

    >I have just been reading computeractive and tried to install virtual box and
    >ubuntu linux according to theyre instructions but where they say click
    >forward it is off my screen and I have tried everything to click it as a
    >shortcut on my keyboard but cant , I wonder if any of the group can tell me
    >a keyboard shortcut I can use please TIA

    Alt - right arrow?

    Evan Platt, Jan 23, 2008
  5. PWB

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:55:50 GMT, "PWB" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have just been reading computeractive and tried to install virtual
    >>box and ubuntu linux according to theyre instructions but where they
    >>say click forward it is off my screen and I have tried everything to
    >>click it as a shortcut on my keyboard but cant , I wonder if any of
    >>the group can tell me a keyboard shortcut I can use please TIA

    > Alt - right arrow?

    No, that's next console. Will probably drop him into a shell screen.
    Probably not a good idea.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 24, 2008
  6. PWB

    chuckcar Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in

    > I have just been reading computeractive and tried to install virtual
    > box and ubuntu linux according to theyre instructions but where they
    > say click forward it is off my screen and I have tried everything to
    > click it as a shortcut on my keyboard but cant , I wonder if any of
    > the group can tell me a keyboard shortcut I can use please TIA

    Try moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. Forget about MS windows.
    Linux has a desktop larger than the screen and you can scroll it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 24, 2008