Keyboard Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 5, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Need a new keyboard, and
    have been thinking about possibly getting a wireless keyboard for a Desktop.

    Have read a bunch of reviews, and, as one expects, some say great and some
    say they don't work
    "very" reliably.

    Might anyone offer any opinions on this, and perhaps some personal
    experience(s) with which models work well, and, more important, which to
    stay away from ?

    And, for another wired keyboard:
    Have looked at Best Buy, Staples, etc., and don't see any with the
    following.

    - I would like a keyboard, with regular sized keys and spacings, that does
    Not have the numeric
    keyboard on the right (which I never use). The keyboards classified as
    "mini" meet this requirement,
    but according to the reviews at Amazon, all these types seem to have smaller
    keys, and/or key spacings.

    Anyone know of any with normal keys and spacings, but without the extra
    numeric keyboard ?
    A smaller keyboard like this would be great for me, as space is kind of
    limited.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 5, 2009

  2. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-11-05, Robert11 <> wrote:

    [...]

    > - I would like a keyboard, with regular sized keys and spacings, that does
    > Not have the numeric
    > keyboard on the right (which I never use). The keyboards classified as
    > "mini" meet this requirement,
    > but according to the reviews at Amazon, all these types seem to have smaller
    > keys, and/or key spacings.
    >
    > Anyone know of any with normal keys and spacings, but without the extra
    > numeric keyboard ?
    > A smaller keyboard like this would be great for me, as space is kind of
    > limited.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    You're looking for an "Alternative keyboard"; they exist, in a multitude
    of designs, but finding them in a shop is not easy.

    Microsoft Sidewinder and Logitech diNovo laser have detachable numeric pads
    which can be placed at either end of the keyboard (or neither end,
    presumably). Logitech have a number of interesting designs - see
    <http://www.logitech.com/> (ghastly Flash-dependent site).

    Goldtouch <http://www.goldtouch.com/default.aspx> and Kinesis
    <http://www.kinesis.com/> are worth a look.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 5, 2009

  3. Robert11

    Old Codger Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Need a new keyboard, and
    > have been thinking about possibly getting a wireless keyboard for a Desktop.
    >
    > Have read a bunch of reviews, and, as one expects, some say great and some
    > say they don't work
    > "very" reliably.
    >
    > Might anyone offer any opinions on this, and perhaps some personal
    > experience(s) with which models work well, and, more important, which to
    > stay away from ?

    I have used three different makes all old and all good. Logitech
    wireless keyboard and mouse (about 11 years old and still going with my
    equally old notebook). A not quite so old Medion wireless keyboard and
    mouse supplied with and still used with my old Medion desktop. I also
    have a slightly newer labtech wireless keyboard and wireless optical
    mouse also still in use.

    All these use ordinary batteries but work happily with rechargeables.
    You soon get used to the mouse battery running out as the curser does
    strange things and seems to have a mind of its own. The keyboard
    battery lasts a lot longer so one doesn't think about the battery when
    the keyboard begins playing up. A new, or charged up, battery fixes it
    though.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Nov 5, 2009
  4. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest

    wetpixel <> wrote in

    > Apple has a very nice, comfortable, and slim keyboard of
    > this type, both wired and wireless.
    > The keys are flatter than standard, and the throw is not as
    > deep, of course, but I've found I really like it much
    > better than standard.

    Are you aware Apple uses different keyboard hardware and
    software than PC's? Sigh.

    Besides, they look nice but are flimsy as hell.

    I wasn't going to get into it, but OP: you should look around
    for some hi-quality keyboards. Fujitsu kbds were good, I don't
    know if they still are. I have seen some amazing kbds from
    Saitek etc. You may have to forget about NO numeric pad keys.
    One can't have everything. Most of these "custom" funny little
    keyboards are Chinese toys and don't last long.

    Google for "custom keyboard" and stuff like that. There is no
    single store that carries all that is out there, not even
    Fry's'. Be prepared to pay for your fancy requirements.

    --
    There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
    and those that will break later.

    thanatoid, Nov 8, 2009
  5. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest

    Andy <no@invalid> wrote in
    se.westnet.com.au:

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> wetpixel <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Apple has a very nice, comfortable, and slim keyboard of
    >>> this type, both wired and wireless.
    >>> The keys are flatter than standard, and the throw is not
    >>> as deep, of course, but I've found I really like it much
    >>> better than standard.

    >> Are you aware Apple uses different keyboard hardware and
    >> software than PC's? Sigh.

    > Sigh indeed.
    >
    > Do tell - Which different hardware and software is this?
    >
    > They're all USB connected and work fine as plug+play
    > devices as far as I'm aware (and I can confirm 100% that my
    > own Apple keyboard like the one wetpixel is describing
    > certainly does).

    You're using Linux. Make it work on Windows and I'll apologize
    for my ignorance. Then again I would not pay 10 times the PC
    prices for Apple accessories in the first place. $50 for a $6
    audio cable. Jeez. And, since we're getting into this, a numeric
    keypad is ESSENTIAL although apparently not for all. One of the
    reasons I'll never own a laptop is because of what they do with
    the keypad and all extra Fn key and all the other crap.

    >> Besides, they look nice but are flimsy as hell.

    > No problems here, and my heavy, clumsy hands are /very/
    > tough on keyboards.
    >
    > I've had mine since just after they were released (the new
    > aluminium style), since a coupla years back.
    >
    > Still good as new.

    What can I say. (Except two years is not very long.)

    thanatoid, Nov 8, 2009
  6. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest

    Andy <no@invalid> wrote in
    se.westnet.com.au:

    <SNIP>

    >>> They're all USB connected and work fine as plug+play
    >>> devices as far as I'm aware (and I can confirm 100% that
    >>> my own Apple keyboard like the one wetpixel is describing
    >>> certainly does).

    >> You're using Linux. Make it work on Windows and I'll
    >> apologize for my ignorance.

    > Good :)
    >
    > I just tried it on the one Windoze box in the house -
    > running XP.
    >
    > It was working in under 10 seconds of plugging it in, the
    > OS even recognising it as an Apple-branded device while it
    > was showing the status on the taskbar as it 'did it's
    > thing'.

    ("its" thing. At least I spell better.)

    But that /is/ interesting. As little as I know, IMO USB was just
    the way-behind PC version of Appletalk and then everyone went
    USB. But I /was/ surprised when Apple started running Intels and
    Unix. [I guess Motorola has the cell market - and everyone in
    the world except me has one of those damn things, while not
    everyone (yet) has a computer]. AND, apparently, normal
    keyboards. Still don't like that double infinity key. What do
    hell would you do with that on Windows? I am not aware of any
    Windows key remap utility that could handle it. Anyway, this is
    where I should apologize for my keyboard ignorance I guess. I
    apologize.

    > There's /nothing/ particularly 'exotic' about Apple
    > keyboards, apart from the way they look and the use of
    > aluminium.
    >
    > The only different hardware was 15 years ago when they were
    > still using proprietary ADB connectors/ports.

    That's about the last time I had my hands on one.

    <SNIP>

    > That all depends... Keyboards are basically a consumable
    > for me :) Years of using a complete POS keyboard with
    > no/lousy feel has led to me hammering the keys far harder
    > than is probably needed.

    Membrane kbds are a curse. Just curious, is the Apple a membrane
    or does it have switches under each key? I still use a 12 year
    old Dell since it is what a keyboard should be. Switches, no
    volume buttons, no "twitter" instant access key.

    Cheers.

    thanatoid, Nov 8, 2009
  7. Robert11

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:42:06 +1000, Andy wrote:

    > I'd really like to one day buy something like this:
    > <http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/29524/

    subcatid/0/id/432140>

    LOL I have two of those in a T K Maxx carrier bag in the corner of the
    bedroom, but I still use my trusty old Logitech iTouch on these PCs (two
    systems, different OSen, KVM switch).

    --
    Elmo McElroy: If I wanted cuisine, I'd have gone to Paris
    Felix DeSouza: You can still go to France. It's full of pricks. They hate

    Aardvark, Nov 9, 2009
  8. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest

    Andy <no@invalid> wrote in
    se.westnet.com.au:

    <SNIP>

    > It (WinXP) automatically mapped that key to the 'Windows'
    > key.

    I thought it might but I also thought I might be overestimating
    MS's intelligence.

    <SNIP>

    >> Just curious, is the Apple a membrane or does it have
    >> switches under each key?

    > 'Scissor switch' typw, I believe.
    >
    >> I still use a 12 year old Dell since it is what a keyboard
    >> should be.

    > I'd really like to one day buy something like this:
    > <http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/pare
    > ntcat/29524/subcatid/0/id/432140>

    I have this, 2 of them, cost me $5 each:
    http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat
    /20188/subcatid/0/id/256905

    Almost identical except I think the switches are a little more
    modern. Also, Windows keys - before I used a key remap utility.

    Really glad you led me to the page. Those were the days. Nice to
    see I am not condemned to membranes forever.

    I'll have to find which is the exact model-M I have, just
    curious - a couple of switches died, but they lasted until 2001
    or so. And it felt even better than the Dell I use now. Sounded
    better too!

    Looks like the guy who wanted a small kbd needs this:
    http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/pare
    ntcat/9242

    Unfortunately, no oh-so-important multimedia buttons.

    Also, just like the other 6 or so pages I looked at, ALL are
    SOLD. I have no patience (or need, thank fubar) to get one at
    this time, but do they have ANYTHING in stock or is it in effect
    a nostalgia page?

    > The old IBM 'Model M' with noisy, tactile, buckling spring
    > keyswitches.
    >
    >> Switches, no volume buttons, no "twitter" instant access
    >> key.

    > Urk! 'Twitter' keys exist?

    They will within a few weeks or days.

    --
    There are only two classifications of keyboards: switch
    keyboards and shit.

    thanatoid, Nov 10, 2009
  9. Robert11

    MattJ Guest

    Andy wrote:

    > It (WinXP) automatically mapped that key to the 'Windows' key.

    Thought you might be interested to know the key can generally be called
    the "Super Key" :)

    MattJ, Nov 11, 2009
  10. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest

    MattJ <matt@none> wrote in

    > Andy wrote:
    >>
    >> It (WinXP) automatically mapped that key to the 'Windows'
    >> key.
    >>

    > Thought you might be interested to know the key can
    > generally be called the "Super Key" :)

    If you mean the Apple-unique key, I believe it is called the
    "command" key but I forgot and so tried to think of what it
    looked like, that's where double infinity came from.

    Or is the Windows key called the Super-Key? If so, why didn't MS
    just call it Key® and copyright it?

    thanatoid, Nov 12, 2009
  11. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest