    Can you asist please.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.
    Emrys Davies, Jan 14, 2009

  2. Emrys Davies

    Fergal Guest

    "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the £ sign and the ' sign.
    > Can you asist please.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Emrys Davies.

    Set Keyboard to correct location
    Fergal, Jan 14, 2009

  3. "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    > My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the £ sign and the ' sign.
    > Can you asist please.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Emrys Davies.

    Do you think it might increase the chances of you getting any help here just
    a little bit if you mentioned what operating system, update status,
    language, keyboard make/model your "friend" is having trouble with?

    Do ya, hmmmm?
    Sharp Dressed Man, Jan 14, 2009
  4. Emrys Davies

    Fergal Guest

    "Sharp Dressed Man" <> wrote in message
    > "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message

    > Do you think it might increase the chances of you getting any help here
    > just a little bit if you mentioned what operating system, update status,
    > language, keyboard make/model your "friend" is having trouble with?
    >
    > Do ya, hmmmm?

    Do you have a lot of time on your hands Numbnuts?
    Why would you need all that information to answer a "stock" question??
    The fuckin' mind boggles!
    Fergal, Jan 14, 2009
  5. Emrys Davies wrote:

    > My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the £ sign and the ' sign.
    > Can you asist please.

    Tell your friend to set his unknown email client to display mail using
    the Character Encoding of UTF-8.

    In Thunderbird, the setting (in my version) is located at:
    Edit > Preferences > Display > Font button > Character Encodings

    The ' sign is a standard character, and should display correctly with
    any encoding. Currency symbols may not: $ ¢ £ ¤ ¥

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 14, 2009
  6. Emrys Davies

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 05:47:11 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > One
    > might even confuse the usage of the pound sign for currency with the
    > number sign for pounds of weight.

    There's no confusion on this side of the pond. '£' is a pound (currency)
    sign and '#' is called a 'hash' sign.

    I never knew that colonials used '#' instead of 'lbs.'. In what context
    would the sign be used?

    Aardvark, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Aardvark wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> One might even confuse the usage of the pound sign for currency with
    >> the number sign for pounds of weight.

    > There's no confusion on this side of the pond. '£' is a pound
    > (currency) sign and '#' is called a 'hash' sign.
    >
    > I never knew that colonials used '#' instead of 'lbs.'. In what
    > context would the sign be used?

    You might see that at a grocer's. (along with grocers apostrophe's)

    APPLE'S 3# $2.98

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 14, 2009
  8. Emrys Davies

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:43:51 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > (along with grocers apostrophe's)

    There must be a few grocer's who visit the new's group's.

    Aardvark, Jan 14, 2009
  9. Emrys Davies

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:43:17 -0800, alan wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity, what does the word "hash" refer to?

    Fucked if I know.

    Aardvark, Jan 14, 2009
  10. Emrys Davies

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:46:01 -1000, wetpixel wrote:

    > In article <%Xmbl.286787$2>, Aardvark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:43:51 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>
    >> > (along with grocers apostrophe's)

    >> There must be a few grocer's who visit the new's group's.

    > Well, that was intended as an example. It is also used in construction,
    > accounting, invoices, shipping, and more.

    WHOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    Aardvark, Jan 14, 2009
  11. Emrys Davies

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:49:31 GMT, Aardvark <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:43:51 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> (along with grocers apostrophe's)

    >There must be a few grocer's who visit the new's group's.

    "Some witty person in rec.arts.sf.composition (I forget who) called
    them feral apostrophes. Untamed, unregulated, they roam the wastes of
    the English language and pop up where lea'st expected."

    --
    Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
    you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 14, 2009
  12. Mara wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> (along with grocers apostrophe's)

    >> There must be a few grocer's who visit the new's group's.

    > "Some witty person in rec.arts.sf.composition (I forget who) called
    > them feral apostrophes. Untamed, unregulated, they roam the wastes of
    > the English language and pop up where lea'st expected."

    Cute. :)

    Googling Groups for "feral apostrophes" produces several hundred hits.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friend's drive Window's
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 14, 2009
  13. Fergal wrote:

    > "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    >> My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the £ sign and the ' sign.
    >> Can you asist please.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Emrys Davies.
    >>

    > Set Keyboard to correct location

    Wrong. Charset is the key.
    The OP used Outbug Excuse, with no charset declared in the headers.
    Therefore I saw two rectangles instead of the pound sign until manually
    changing to iso8859-15.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 14, 2009
  14. Fergal wrote:

    >> Do you think it might increase the chances of you getting any help
    >> here just a little bit if you mentioned what operating system, update
    >> status, language, keyboard make/model your "friend" is having trouble
    >> with?
    >>
    >> Do ya, hmmmm?
    >>

    > Do you have a lot of time on your hands Numbnuts?

    Glass house <-> stones
    Keyboard is totally irrelevant, it's the charset (even if undeclared)
    which makes a difference.

    > Why would you need all that information to answer a "stock" question??
    > The fuckin' mind boggles!

    We would need the headers and "source text" of the e-mail, and of course
    the name and version of the program it was written with.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 14, 2009