keyboard(?) problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave, Mar 18, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    > Sometimes, getting to be more often, my keyboard will just stop
    > working...or so it seemed. Last time I'm pretty sure I heard the
    > computer make a little beep, and it seems like there was a flicker
    > or something blinked or something.
    >
    > The damn thing just did it again, and there was definately a little
    > beep. Every time it does it the only thing I know to do is restart
    > the computer. Can anyone tell me what's going on, how to
    > re-engage the keyboard without re-starting the computer,
    > and/or how to make it stop screwing up this way?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David

    You can try a different keyboard, but you've probably got a ps/2 port
    problem on the mainboard, assuming this is a ps/2 keyboard. Try replacing
    your keyboard with a usb keyboard. I don't think that will fix the problem,
    but it might be a workable temporary solution. -Dave

    dh@., Mar 18, 2007

  3. Dave

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    dh@. wrote:
    > Sometimes, getting to be more often, my keyboard will just stop
    > working...or so it seemed. Last time I'm pretty sure I heard the
    > computer make a little beep, and it seems like there was a flicker
    > or something blinked or something.
    >
    > The damn thing just did it again, and there was definately a little
    > beep. Every time it does it the only thing I know to do is restart
    > the computer. Can anyone tell me what's going on, how to
    > re-engage the keyboard without re-starting the computer,
    > and/or how to make it stop screwing up this way?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David

    Yeah, pull the keyboard plug out of its socket and plug it back in
    again. It might work for you.

    Get a new keyboard they don't cost that much.
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 18, 2007
  4. Dave

    Paul Guest

    Mr. Arnold wrote:
    > dh@. wrote:
    >> Sometimes, getting to be more often, my keyboard will just stop
    >> working...or so it seemed. Last time I'm pretty sure I heard the
    >> computer make a little beep, and it seems like there was a flicker
    >> or something blinked or something.
    >> The damn thing just did it again, and there was definately a little
    >> beep. Every time it does it the only thing I know to do is restart
    >> the computer. Can anyone tell me what's going on, how to re-engage the
    >> keyboard without re-starting the computer, and/or how to make it stop
    >> screwing up this way?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >> David

    > Yeah, pull the keyboard plug out of its socket and plug it back in
    > again. It might work for you.
    >
    > Get a new keyboard they don't cost that much.

    The PS/2 plug is not intended for hot insertion, so if you want
    to check the PS/2 plug, shut down the computer first. Then pull
    the plug. There have been people who've blown a PS/2 port by plugging
    and unplugging while the system is running. Sometimes the problem
    with PS/2, is with the pins on the connector.

    USB, on the other hand, can be hot inserted.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 18, 2007
  5. Dave

    Bert Hyman Guest

    dh@. () wrote in news:eek::

    > On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:23:38 GMT, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr.
    > Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    >
    >>Get a new keyboard they don't cost that much.

    > What happens to them? Why do they start to fail
    > sometimes, but work fine other times?

    As Yeats said,

    "Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world"

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Mar 19, 2007
  6. Dave

    dh@. Guest

    dh@., Mar 19, 2007
  7. Dave

    Gel Guest

    I have similar problem; unfortunately my boot up stops if it doesnt
    see
    a Ps2 KEYBOARD.

    When it misbehaves stalls at this point and offers Del or F1 options;
    but as keyboard
    doesnt work, have to power down.

    May have to look into PC cabinet and see if anything looks odd on port
    connection;
    Mouseport packed up some time ago.

    If OP hasnt tried plugging keyboard into mouse slot, should try that
    as are interchangeable,
    and then use a USB mouse.

    Gel, Mar 19, 2007
  8. Dave

    Mike T. Guest

    "Gel" <> wrote in message
    >I have similar problem; unfortunately my boot up stops if it doesnt
    > see
    > a Ps2 KEYBOARD.
    >
    > When it misbehaves stalls at this point and offers Del or F1 options;
    > but as keyboard
    > doesnt work, have to power down.
    >
    > May have to look into PC cabinet and see if anything looks odd on port
    > connection;
    > Mouseport packed up some time ago.
    >
    > If OP hasnt tried plugging keyboard into mouse slot, should try that
    > as are interchangeable,
    > and then use a USB mouse.

    Go into your BIOS settings and look for "halt on". Options should be "all
    errors" or "all but keyboard" and maybe a couple of others. Set this to
    "all but keyboard". Then if it doesn't see a PS/2 keyboard, it should still
    try to boot. While you are in there, enable USB peripheral support (ie
    keyboard/mouse). -Dave
    Mike T., Mar 20, 2007
  9. Dave

    Gel Guest

    Thanks; done that but annoyingly now though I cam enter BIOS by
    holding DEL
    key at splash screen, the options screen then comes up/, but the
    keyboard
    then doesnt work and let me navigate!

    Just have to switch off.

    Gel, Mar 21, 2007