    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><

    housetrained, Oct 6, 2010

  2. housetrained

    Colin Trunt Guest

    "housetrained" <> wrote in message
    news:4cacc878$0$23538$c3e8da3$...
    > have tried another working KB but still Keyboard not working. If this is
    > motherboard anyone know if its a common fault and can it be easily fixed?
    > TIA

    USB PS2 wired?

    Try and leave out as much info as possible

    Colin Trunt, Oct 6, 2010

  3. housetrained

    Paul Guest

    housetrained wrote:
    > have tried another working KB but still Keyboard not working. If this is
    > motherboard anyone know if its a common fault and can it be easily fixed?
    > TIA

    Is this your computer ?

    "HP Pavilion Verde Special Edition"
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=FQ424AA-OB

    It looks like it has PS/2 keyboard and mouse on the back.

    You should not plug and unplug PS/2, with power applied to the computer.
    The PS/2 connector is not designed for hot plug, and if the wrong
    contacts connect first, it can blow the I/O. (USB, on the
    other hand, is designed for hot insertion, with power flowing.)

    Find a USB keyboard and give that a try as a replacement.

    There can be issues with USB keyboards, such as an inability
    to get to the BIOS setup screens.

    These are examples of settings related to USB.

    USB Legacy Support
    http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=342

    USB Port 64/60 Emulation
    http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=343

    Or maybe, it'll just work when you plug it in :)

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 6, 2010
  4. "housetrained" <> wrote in message
    > have tried another working KB but still Keyboard not working. If this is
    > motherboard anyone know if its a common fault and can it be easily fixed?
    > TIA

    USB or PS2?

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 7, 2010
  5. housetrained

    housetrained Guest

    PS2 wired [XP so tried USB but not seen]
    John

    housetrained, Oct 7, 2010
  6. housetrained

    Paul Guest

    housetrained wrote:
    > PS2 wired [XP so tried USB but not seen]
    > John
    >

    > "housetrained" <> wrote in message
    >> have tried another working KB but still Keyboard not working. If this
    >> is motherboard anyone know if its a common fault and can it be easily
    >> fixed?
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> --
    >> John the West Ham fan
    >>

    >> <><

    I think that's going to be a challenge to fix (USB keyboard not seen).

    You'd need to clean the USB stack. Normally, that would be
    done via Device Manager. If you can't get into the system, it's going
    to be pretty hard to work a repair. (My theory is, you've removed
    an UpperFilter/LowerFilter registry key for the USB keyboard, and
    that is why it doesn't work.) It is possible to take the registry files
    to another computer and work on them, but that's out of my league.
    I really don't know how many USB entries would be involved and
    where to look for all of them.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup Device Manager Safe Mode.htm

    There is also a script that uses the Microsoft "devcon" program, to
    delete USB entries, and allow the USB stack to be rediscovered. You'd still
    need a way to run this, and it probably prompts you anyway, for
    permission to proceed. (Perhaps editing the script and removing
    the prompt, would fix that.)

    (Scroll down to RenewUSB.bat . Note the warning in red letters.)

    http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

    *******

    Does the USB keyboard have power ? Do you see any LEDs flash on it ?
    That would be reassuring.

    It could be, for example, that a fuse is shared by several ports. I
    think I've had one motherboard, where several ports used a single
    Polyfuse (a cheap motherboard). A Polyfuse is a self-resetting fuse,
    which heats up when overloaded (and the material state changes), and
    cools off when the overload is removed (and recrystallizes in a couple
    minutes). Such a fuse would not normally need to be replaced. But if it
    fails entirely (could happen after many cycles), then it might be
    depriving several ports of +5V (or +5VSB) power.

    (An example of a Polyfuse. I look for the "dimple" on the end. And they're
    usually a unique green color.)

    http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/Littelfuse_PTC_1812L.pdf

    If I look at my Asus motherboard, I might find one green colored Polyfuse
    for PS/2. One for parallel port. One for each 2x5 USB2 header on the
    motherboard. One for each USB2 stack-of-two on the back of the computer.
    So a motherboard can have a number of those, and they normally don't
    cause a problem.

    In addition to the fuse, some motherboards use a jumper, to select
    +5V or +5VSB as the source of power for a USB port. The latter of those
    is used, if you want to "wake on key-press'. Modern motherboards have
    changed to running solely from +5VSB, and no longer have the jumper.
    A circuit diagram, showing the three pin jumper block and Polyfuse,
    is here. When a jumper is installed on the 1x3 block, it either
    connects pin 1 to pin 2, or pin 2 to pin 3, thus giving power to the
    USB connector. If a person were to pull that jumper off the header,
    the USB port would appear to be dead. If the jumper pins were corroded,
    wiggling it might be enough to fix it.

    http://img2.itsogo.net/Upfile2/2008/11/1115171043554395.jpg

    The only reason for checking out the possibility in this case, is it is
    suspicious that you've lost PS/2 and USB at the same time.

    Do any other USB devices work ? Is it only keyboard that is not working ?

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 7, 2010
  7. housetrained

    JanD Guest

    Hi,

    make certain you have a ps2 keyboard connected to you pc NOT using any usb
    ports
    make ceratin it is connected to the net in case it needs to download
    drrivers.

    now start the pc and see what happens

    a ps2 keyboard should alway waork unless the keyboard or the connection are
    broken.
    Needless to say you borrowed a ps2 keyboard in a good wordking condition.

    if it doesn't work the motherboard connection is of the motherboard itself
    is broken

    "housetrained" <> schreef in bericht

    JanD, Oct 24, 2010
  8. housetrained

    adam

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Technical forums

    Which OS are you using and do you see any lights on the keyboard (i.e num, cap or scroll) ??

    Please provide us mode info, for better assistance.

    Regards,
    Adam
    YourSystemAdmin.com

    adam, Nov 4, 2010