    Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop with Windows XP. The keyboard is a Standard
    Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. Help please!

    , Nov 23, 2006

  2. AnonyMouse Guest

    wrote:
    > I was trying to clean out the computer, I was removing some spyware and
    > other malware, and when I restarted the computer the keyboard wouldn't
    > work. I tried deleting and then reinstalling the driver, and still
    > nothing. I don't have another keyboard to try plugging in. I have a
    > Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop with Windows XP. The keyboard is a Standard
    > Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. Help please!

    How were you able to type this post? Did you use the On-Screen keyboard
    or just the laptop's built-in keyboard?

    AnonyMouse, Nov 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    AnonyMouse wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I was trying to clean out the computer, I was removing some spyware and
    > > other malware, and when I restarted the computer the keyboard wouldn't
    > > work. I tried deleting and then reinstalling the driver, and still
    > > nothing. I don't have another keyboard to try plugging in. I have a
    > > Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop with Windows XP. The keyboard is a Standard
    > > Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. Help please!
    > >

    > How were you able to type this post? Did you use the On-Screen keyboard
    > or just the laptop's built-in keyboard?

    I'm using a different computer. The mouse still works (I have a plugin
    USB mouse, but not a USB keyboard).

    , Nov 23, 2006
  4. AnonyMouse Guest

    wrote:
    > AnonyMouse wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I was trying to clean out the computer, I was removing some spyware and
    >>> other malware, and when I restarted the computer the keyboard wouldn't
    >>> work. I tried deleting and then reinstalling the driver, and still
    >>> nothing. I don't have another keyboard to try plugging in. I have a
    >>> Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop with Windows XP. The keyboard is a Standard
    >>> Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. Help please!
    >>>

    >> How were you able to type this post? Did you use the On-Screen keyboard
    >> or just the laptop's built-in keyboard?

    > I'm using a different computer. The mouse still works (I have a plugin
    > USB mouse, but not a USB keyboard).

    Maybe while you were uninstalling the malware, you accidentally
    uninstalled the keyboard driver too? Try reinstalling the driver for the
    Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard--just follow the instructions that came
    with your keyboard for setting it up new (using the laptop keyboard as
    your keyboard while you're setting up the driver), and I would think
    that would fix it.

    AnonyMouse, Nov 23, 2006
  5. Guest

    AnonyMouse wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > AnonyMouse wrote:
    > >>>
    > >> How were you able to type this post? Did you use the On-Screen keyboard
    > >> or just the laptop's built-in keyboard?

    > > I'm using a different computer. The mouse still works (I have a plugin
    > > USB mouse, but not a USB keyboard).
    > >

    > Maybe while you were uninstalling the malware, you accidentally
    > uninstalled the keyboard driver too? Try reinstalling the driver for the
    > Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard--just follow the instructions that came
    > with your keyboard for setting it up new (using the laptop keyboard as
    > your keyboard while you're setting up the driver), and I would think
    > that would fix it.

    Yeah, I already tried that. I uninstalled the driver, then restarted
    the computer, then it automatically started the "found new hardware
    wizard" which then said the keyboard was working properly. Of course
    the problem is that it's not working properly. It's not working at all.

    , Nov 23, 2006
  6. AnonyMouse Guest

    wrote:
    > AnonyMouse wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> I'm using a different computer. The mouse still works (I have a plugin
    >>> USB mouse, but not a USB keyboard).
    >>>

    >> Maybe while you were uninstalling the malware, you accidentally
    >> uninstalled the keyboard driver too? Try reinstalling the driver for the
    >> Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard--just follow the instructions that came
    >> with your keyboard for setting it up new (using the laptop keyboard as
    >> your keyboard while you're setting up the driver), and I would think
    >> that would fix it.

    > Yeah, I already tried that. I uninstalled the driver, then restarted
    > the computer, then it automatically started the "found new hardware
    > wizard" which then said the keyboard was working properly. Of course
    > the problem is that it's not working properly. It's not working at all.

    Hmm. Maybe some of the spyware you removed was a keylogger (a program
    that records keystrokes typed). And removing it manually, by deleting
    its core files...it may disable it, but it might drastically mess up
    other stuff too, and I would imagine that a keylogger would tweak the
    keyboard driver. An anti-spyware program would properly remove malware,
    thus completely removing it and avoiding any problems with messing
    things up (at least a good antispyware program shouldn't mess things up)!

    A good choice would be Spyware Doctor or Spy Sweeper--according to PC
    Magazine (www.pcmag.com), a computer-stuff magazine that rates products,
    etc., they're supposed to be the best out there, at least until
    something better comes out (the "Editor's Choice" is shared between both
    right now, so either would be a good choice). You can get either for
    about $30; you can probably find one at your local computer store. If
    you can't find either there, you can find links to the manufacturer's
    web sites where you can buy the programs, in the "more information"
    links that I'm going to give you here:

    http://snipurl.com/133cl
    For the online version of the PC Magazine review of Spyware Doctor,
    including a link to where you can buy, and then download or order the CD
    for it.

    http://snipurl.com/133co
    For the online version of the review of Spy Sweeper, including a link to
    the manufacturer's page.

    Before running either of these, you might want to use the Windows XP
    System Restore utility (At Start>All Programs>Accessories>System
    Tools>System Restore) to restore your PC to the way it was before you
    removed the malware. Then you can run an antispyware program to properly
    remove the malware.

    Hope this helps--again, just a guess, since I would think some spyware
    would mess up stuff like this.

    AnonyMouse, Nov 23, 2006
  7. lee houston Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I was trying to clean out the computer, I was removing some spyware and
    > other malware, and when I restarted the computer the keyboard wouldn't
    > work. I tried deleting and then reinstalling the driver, and still
    > nothing. I don't have another keyboard to try plugging in. I have a
    > Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop with Windows XP. The keyboard is a Standard
    > Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. Help please!

    It may be a hardware problem? Try your keyboard on
    a different computer and try a different keyboard on
    your laptop to validate your hardware.

    lee

    lee houston, Nov 23, 2006
  8. rjdriver Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I was trying to clean out the computer, I was removing some spyware and
    > other malware, and when I restarted the computer the keyboard wouldn't
    > work. I tried deleting and then reinstalling the driver, and still
    > nothing. I don't have another keyboard to try plugging in. I have a
    > Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop with Windows XP. The keyboard is a Standard
    > Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. Help please!

    Borrow a keyboard to hook up. If it works, then it could be an electrical
    issue inside the laptop. The timing with your spyware cleanup may have just
    been a coincidence. Any warrantee left?

    If the external keyboard does not work, try a system restore to a point
    before you did the spyware cleanup. Then pay attention to what the spyware
    program finds when you do the cleanup. If a keylogger is among the garbage,
    don't let the spyware program remove it (uncheck it?). Google the keylogger
    by what ever name your spyware program gives it and see what info and
    removal instructions you can find.

    Bob

    rjdriver, Nov 24, 2006