Keyboard mishandling seems to be unfixable

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Norman Diamond, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. I installed the English language version of Windows XP x64 from MSDN. Now,
    MSDN includes some English language software, it doesn't include a US
    keyboard. Actual keyboard layouts are still those of actual keyboards
    bought and used in the countries where they're located.

    English-language Windows XP x64 correctly allowed me to update the device
    driver for the keyboard so that Windows XP x64 knows it's a Japanese
    keyboard not a US keyboard. I did reboot as required around 2 weeks ago,
    and rebooted several more times after that because Windows XP x64 provides
    such a friendly user experience of not allowing hibernation. Device Manager
    does remember what I told it.

    English-language Windows XP x64 correctly allowed me to set the input
    language in Control Panel - Regional Options. This didn't require a reboot
    around 2 weeks ago, but I rebooted several times after that anyway because
    Windows XP x64 provides such a friendly user experience of not allowing
    hibernation. Control Panel - Regional Options does remember what I told it.

    Yet Windows XP x64 still insists on reading the + key as :, the : key as ',
    the * key as ", the @ key as something I've forgotten, the _ key as nothing
    at all, etc.

    What does it take to persuade Windows XP x64 that I don't have a US
    keyboard?

    Screenshot of settings:
    http://www.geocities.jp/hitotsubishi/keyboard-settings.png

    Norman Diamond, Feb 27, 2006

  2. Solved by changing the keyboard driver from the correct driver to an
    incorrect driver, changing it back to the correct driver, and rebooting.

    Norman Diamond, Mar 6, 2006