    I found that pressing 'ctrl-alt' will normalise the alt-key and
    wondered if there was another way to do that and to 'fix' the other
    keys if they play up.

    paora, Jul 10, 2004

  2. paora wrote:
    > Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    > some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    > Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....
    > Sometimes when I use the 'alt key' to fill in website forms the 'alt'
    > takes me to another program or window instead of to the next form box.
    > I found that pressing 'ctrl-alt' will normalise the alt-key and
    > wondered if there was another way to do that and to 'fix' the other
    > keys if they play up.

    for forms, if yopu meant 'tab key' where you said 'alt key' then it
    sounds remarkably like you have a faulty alt key. That would explain all
    of what you have described.

    Try another one, they're fairly cheap to replace even if buying at DSE.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 10, 2004

  3. On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 05:58:06 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    >some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    >
    >Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....

    What version of Windows do you run? I found when I used to run Windows
    98 it used to do that occasionally, the fix seemingly to just hit some
    of the other qualifier keys (Ctrl, Alt, Windows, etc) until it worked
    out that the key wasn't "down". I've not seen the behaviour at all in
    Windows XP, so presume it was a bug in the Win9x architecture.

    As for forms on the web, er, when do you use ALT? Hitting ALT by
    itself will usually wait for you to press the underlined letter in a
    menu, so it can engage that shortcut.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jul 10, 2004
  4. paora

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:41:32 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <Dave@_no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >paora wrote:
    >> Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    >> some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    >> Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....
    >> Sometimes when I use the 'alt key' to fill in website forms the 'alt'
    >> takes me to another program or window instead of to the next form box.
    >> I found that pressing 'ctrl-alt' will normalise the alt-key and
    >> wondered if there was another way to do that and to 'fix' the other
    >> keys if they play up.

    >for forms, if yopu meant 'tab key' where you said 'alt key' then it
    >sounds remarkably like you have a faulty alt key. That would explain all
    >of what you have described.
    >
    >Try another one, they're fairly cheap to replace even if buying at DSE.

    oops....I did mean the tab key. Nope it aint broken - just now and
    again something makes it act this way until I reboot.

    Just to be clear
    The tab key sometimes plays up.
    Pressing alt-tab seems to fix it.

    paora, Jul 10, 2004
  5. paora

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:48:53 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 05:58:06 GMT, (paora) wrote:
    >
    >>Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    >>some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    >>
    >>Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....

    >What version of Windows do you run? I found when I used to run Windows
    >98 it used to do that occasionally, the fix seemingly to just hit some
    >of the other qualifier keys (Ctrl, Alt, Windows, etc) until it worked
    >out that the key wasn't "down". I've not seen the behaviour at all in
    >Windows XP, so presume it was a bug in the Win9x architecture.
    >
    >As for forms on the web, er, when do you use ALT? Hitting ALT by
    >itself will usually wait for you to press the underlined letter in a
    >menu, so it can engage that shortcut.

    Yep, you spotted my mistake - no prizes though. :)

    Just in case you didn't read the other reply - I meant the tab key.

    paora, Jul 10, 2004
  6. paora

    paora Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:41:32 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <Dave@_no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >paora wrote:
    >> Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    >> some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    >> Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....
    >> Sometimes when I use the 'alt key' to fill in website forms the 'alt'
    >> takes me to another program or window instead of to the next form box.
    >> I found that pressing 'ctrl-alt' will normalise the alt-key and
    >> wondered if there was another way to do that and to 'fix' the other
    >> keys if they play up.

    >for forms, if yopu meant 'tab key' where you said 'alt key' then it
    >sounds remarkably like you have a faulty alt key. That would explain all
    >of what you have described.
    >
    >Try another one, they're fairly cheap to replace even if buying at DSE.

    I bought a cheap replacement keyboard from Warehouse Stationary not
    that long ago - awful thing to use - some of the keys are in the
    'wrong' place and I can't get used to them. The backspace is only one
    key size instead of the usual double - the enter key is 3 key sizes
    compared to the usual 2 and the slash keys are wherever they feel like
    putting them.

    paora, Jul 10, 2004
  7. paora wrote:
    > Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    > some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    >
    > Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....
    >
    > Sometimes when I use the 'alt key' to fill in website forms the 'alt'
    > takes me to another program or window instead of to the next form box.
    > I found that pressing 'ctrl-alt' will normalise the alt-key and
    > wondered if there was another way to do that and to 'fix' the other
    > keys if they play up.

    Stop eating food over the keyboard !

    Waylon Smithers, Jul 10, 2004
  8. paora wrote:
    >>sounds remarkably like you have a faulty alt key. That would explain all
    >>of what you have described.
    >>Try another one, they're fairly cheap to replace even if buying at DSE.

    > I bought a cheap replacement keyboard from Warehouse Stationary not
    > that long ago

    did it give the same problem?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 10, 2004
  9. paora

    a Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    > some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    >
    > Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....
    >
    > Sometimes when I use the 'alt key' to fill in website forms the 'alt'
    > takes me to another program or window instead of to the next form box.
    > I found that pressing 'ctrl-alt' will normalise the alt-key and
    > wondered if there was another way to do that and to 'fix' the other
    > keys if they play up.

    Er are you using Windows XP? It isn't the accesibility options kicking
    in is it?

    Control PAnel -> Accessibility Options -> Keyboard tab -> Stickykeys.

    a, Jul 10, 2004
  10. In article <>, says...
    > Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    > some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    >
    > Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....
    >
    > Sometimes when I use the 'alt key' to fill in website forms the 'alt'
    > takes me to another program or window instead of to the next form box.
    > I found that pressing 'ctrl-alt' will normalise the alt-key and
    > wondered if there was another way to do that and to 'fix' the other
    > keys if they play up.

    Occasionally I get symptoms of the alt or other keys sticking, just press
    the keys and it goes away.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 10, 2004
  11. paora

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (paora) wrote in news::

    > Maybe hijacked isn't the correct description but now and again I get
    > some keys that perform 'windows' actions instead of typing my letters.
    >
    > Like 'f' will open the Search for Files window ....
    >
    > Sometimes when I use the 'alt key' to fill in website forms the 'alt'
    > takes me to another program or window instead of to the next form box.
    > I found that pressing 'ctrl-alt' will normalise the alt-key and
    > wondered if there was another way to do that and to 'fix' the other
    > keys if they play up.

    This is usually caused by staples etc inside the keyboard causing
    intermittent short circuits.
    Keyboards are not supposed to rattle.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 12, 2004