    me Guest

    I replaced the battery and still getting keyboard lockout. Also CMoss
    checksum error defaults loaded. could the keyboard be junk?

    me, May 29, 2006

  2. me

    Mara Guest

    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

    --
    "You must be smarter than ->|<- this stick to ride the Internet."
    --SleepyOne

    Mara, May 29, 2006

  3. me

    Mike Easter Guest

    me wrote:

    > Hi I hope someone can help! I took my old computer out of storage.
    > When I boot up I get a message saying "keyboard is locked unlock key"
    > How do I fix this?
    > It's a noname computer running on windows 95

    Searching on those terms show two or more branches of solutions. One
    branch has to do with stuck keys on the keyboard. Another branch has to
    do with those computer cases which have a keyboard lockout function
    requiring a key to unlock. That branch involves a jumper on the mobo to
    be disabled. One troubleshooting strategy would be to temporarily
    disconnect the keyboard and see what kinds of error messages you get,
    the same or different. The errors for no kb are different than stuck
    key or keyboard lock jumper situation.

    > I replaced the battery and still getting keyboard lockout. Also CMoss
    > checksum error defaults loaded. could the keyboard be junk?

    Ah, now you have some more serious troubleshooting on your hands. The
    CMOS checksum problem is the BIOS telling you that either it is corrupt
    or some related mobo problem. Charles Kozierok of PCGuide fame sez the
    most common source of that problem is either a weak battery or one
    poorly connected. Since your battery is a new replacement - maybe you
    connected it poorly or bought a bad one. CK has a troubleshooting guide
    for CMOS checksum errors at
    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html CMOS checksum
    errors

    That guide sez after the battery you have to look to

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 29, 2006
  4. me

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > me wrote:
    >
    >> Hi I hope someone can help! I took my old computer out of storage.
    >> When I boot up I get a message saying "keyboard is locked unlock key"
    >> How do I fix this?
    >> It's a noname computer running on windows 95

    > Searching on those terms show two or more branches of solutions. One
    > branch has to do with stuck keys on the keyboard. Another branch has to
    > do with those computer cases which have a keyboard lockout function
    > requiring a key to unlock. That branch involves a jumper on the mobo to
    > be disabled. One troubleshooting strategy would be to temporarily
    > disconnect the keyboard and see what kinds of error messages you get,
    > the same or different. The errors for no kb are different than stuck
    > key or keyboard lock jumper situation.
    >
    >> I replaced the battery and still getting keyboard lockout. Also CMoss
    >> checksum error defaults loaded. could the keyboard be junk?

    > Ah, now you have some more serious troubleshooting on your hands. The
    > CMOS checksum problem is the BIOS telling you that either it is corrupt
    > or some related mobo problem. Charles Kozierok of PCGuide fame sez the
    > most common source of that problem is either a weak battery or one
    > poorly connected. Since your battery is a new replacement - maybe you
    > connected it poorly or bought a bad one. CK has a troubleshooting guide
    > for CMOS checksum errors at
    > http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html CMOS checksum
    > errors
    >
    > That guide sez after the battery you have to look to

    Actually Mike, he is getting exactly the reaction I would have expected
    after replacing the CMOS battery, and after being unable to enter the
    BIOS setup to reconfigure the computer. Easy for him to check whether
    I am correct or not - the next time it tries to boot it should not give
    that particular error.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 29, 2006
  5. me

    Mike Easter Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Ah, now you have some more serious troubleshooting on your hands.
    >> The CMOS checksum problem is the BIOS telling you that either it is
    >> corrupt or some related mobo problem.

    > Actually Mike, he is getting exactly the reaction I would have
    > expected after replacing the CMOS battery, and after being unable to
    > enter the BIOS setup to reconfigure the computer. Easy for him to
    > check whether I am correct or not - the next time it tries to boot it
    > should not give that particular error.

    You are certainly correct if his CMOS checksum problem is a onetime
    event..

    I was assuming persistence past onetime for the CMOS checksum error.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 29, 2006
  6. me

    Plato Guest

    me wrote:

    > I replaced the battery and still getting keyboard lockout. Also CMoss
    > checksum error defaults loaded. could the keyboard be junk?

    Perhaps. In rare occasions the cpu fan could be bad which can disable
    access to cmos.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 1, 2006