    things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
    buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
    it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?

    jama, Sep 17, 2006

  2. jama

    Mike Easter Guest

    jama wrote:
    > i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
    > things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
    > buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
    > it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?

    Keyboards are both cheap and also cleanable.

    You can disassemble the keyboard and clean it and you can also buy a new
    keyboard very cheaply.

    There are so many people who have spare keyboards for various reasons
    that if you knew any such people someone would just give you a keyboard.
    I've lost count of how many keyboards I've thrown away, usually because
    the connectors have become antiquated because of the evolution of
    popular keyboard mouse connectivity issues, or because I've accumulated
    so many extra keyboards that I have to get rid of some of them because I
    don't like something about their layout or color or touch or whatever.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2006

  3. jama

    AnonyMouse Guest

    jama wrote:
    > i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
    > things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
    > buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
    > it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?

    Search PC Magazine's web site at http://www.pcmag.com, they had an
    article one time or another in their magazine (they have archives on
    their web site too) about how to rescue a keyboard with stuff spilled on
    it. I forget the article title--I think it was in a column by a guy
    named Jim Louderback. Anyway, the column was abuut how this guy (now the
    editor-in-chief of the magazine) ruined his older buckling-spring style
    keyboard (a rare type that is supposed to have great tactile feedback)
    with a latte and quick had to run out to buy a new keyboard. So he wrote
    about cheap keyboards. But my main point is, at the end of the column,
    he mentions about how regular keyboards (like the one you most likely
    have) can be rescued. If I can find the link I'll reply to this post and
    put it up here so you can see it.

    AnonyMouse, Sep 17, 2006
  4. jama

    AnonyMouse Guest

    AnonyMouse wrote:
    > jama wrote:
    >> i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
    >> things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
    >> buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
    >> it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?
    >>

    > Search PC Magazine's web site at http://www.pcmag.com, they had an
    > article one time or another in their magazine (they have archives on
    > their web site too) about how to rescue a keyboard with stuff spilled on
    > it. I forget the article title--I think it was in a column by a guy
    > named Jim Louderback. Anyway, the column was abuut how this guy (now the
    > editor-in-chief of the magazine) ruined his older buckling-spring style
    > keyboard (a rare type that is supposed to have great tactile feedback)
    > with a latte and quick had to run out to buy a new keyboard. So he wrote
    > about cheap keyboards. But my main point is, at the end of the column,
    > he mentions about how regular keyboards (like the one you most likely
    > have) can be rescued. If I can find the link I'll reply to this post and
    > put it up here so you can see it.

    Okay, got it--quicker than I expected. Here's the shortened URL:

    http://snipurl.com/wj6s

    The long version, in case you have trouble with the short one:

    By the way, you'll have to click "Next" about halfway through the
    article--just so you aren't surprised. Anyway, when you click that
    you'll see what would normally be on the second column of the page in
    the print version of PC Magazine.

    And in case you found the keyboard article useful for the
    keyboard-shopping aspect, there is a similar one about mice:

    http://snipurl.com/wj6u

    and

    are the short and long URLs for that respectively.

    And I know you are probably not interested any more, but PC Magazine
    also did another re-do of the keyboard article, this time as a
    full-fledged article (a little more info, different keyboard models rated):

    http://snipurl.com/wj6x

    I hope I didn't windbag you guys to pieces now. Anyway, I hope it helps.

    AnonyMouse, Sep 17, 2006
  5. jama

    jama Guest

    well, the spill happend this afternoon, and it was fine then... it just
    now started to act up.... but ill leave it overnight and hope for the
    best. thanks for the article.

    jama, Sep 17, 2006
  6. jama

    AnonyMouse Guest

    jama wrote:
    > well, the spill happend this afternoon, and it was fine then... it just
    > now started to act up.... but ill leave it overnight and hope for the
    > best. thanks for the article.
    >

    > AnonyMouse wrote:
    >> AnonyMouse wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Search PC Magazine's web site at http://www.pcmag.com, they had an
    >>> article one time or another in their magazine (they have archives on
    >>> their web site too) about how to rescue a keyboard with stuff spilled on
    >>> it. I forget the article title--I think it was in a column by a guy
    >>> named Jim Louderback. Anyway, the column was abuut how this guy (now the
    >>> editor-in-chief of the magazine) ruined his older buckling-spring style
    >>> keyboard (a rare type that is supposed to have great tactile feedback)
    >>> with a latte and quick had to run out to buy a new keyboard. So he wrote
    >>> about cheap keyboards. But my main point is, at the end of the column,
    >>> he mentions about how regular keyboards (like the one you most likely
    >>> have) can be rescued. If I can find the link I'll reply to this post and
    >>> put it up here so you can see it.

    >> Okay, got it--quicker than I expected. Here's the shortened URL:
    >>
    >> http://snipurl.com/wj6s
    >>
    >> The long version, in case you have trouble with the short one:

    >> By the way, you'll have to click "Next" about halfway through the
    >> article--just so you aren't surprised. Anyway, when you click that
    >> you'll see what would normally be on the second column of the page in
    >> the print version of PC Magazine.
    >>
    >> And in case you found the keyboard article useful for the
    >> keyboard-shopping aspect, there is a similar one about mice:
    >>
    >> http://snipurl.com/wj6u
    >>
    >> and

    >> are the short and long URLs for that respectively.
    >>
    >> And I know you are probably not interested any more, but PC Magazine
    >> also did another re-do of the keyboard article, this time as a
    >> full-fledged article (a little more info, different keyboard models rated):
    >>
    >> http://snipurl.com/wj6x
    >>
    >> I hope I didn't windbag you guys to pieces now. Anyway, I hope it helps.

    You're welcome.

    AnonyMouse, Sep 17, 2006
  7. jama

    ProfGene Guest

    jama wrote:
    > i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
    > things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
    > buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
    > it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?

    It would be most likely more expensive to have it fixed than buying a
    new keyboard.

    ProfGene, Nov 2, 2006
  8. jama

    JB froilet Guest

    ProfGene wrote:
    > jama wrote:
    >
    >> i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
    >> things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
    >> buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
    >> it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?
    >>

    > It would be most likely more expensive to have it fixed than buying a
    > new keyboard.

    Inside the keyboard are numerous printed circuits, & switches. It is
    possible for the liquid to have shorted out connections.
    Replace the keyboard. Replacements can be found for starting at 5
    dollars... not worth having it fixed

    JB froilet, Nov 5, 2006