    Oh yeah, my keyboard has to connectors. One is USB and the other is serial.
    The instructions say to plug both in so I do. But I've been using this
    keyboard for about 2 years now anyways. Thanks for the help.
    Bud Light, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Bud Light

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Bud Light" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | So this morning I start up my computer and before the OS even loads I get
    | the message "Keyboard error or no keyboard present". I check the back of
    my
    | computer and everything is plugged in. I restart the machine and I get
    the
    | same error. I unplug the keyboard (Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro) and
    | restart the machine. I get the same error and then I plug the keyboard
    back
    | in. I'm able to hit F1 and the loading process continues. I'm running
    | Windows XP Professional SP1. When I get to my password login screen the
    | keyboard is not recognized and I can't type my password. I use my mouse
    | restart the machine. This time everything goes through fine. I don't get
    | the keyboard error and I'm able to login by typing my password.
    |
    | Any thoughts? Is my mobo going down? Is my keyboard ready to be
    replaced?
    | Oh yeah, my keyboard has to connectors. One is USB and the other is
    serial.
    | The instructions say to plug both in so I do. But I've been using this
    | keyboard for about 2 years now anyways. Thanks for the help.

    I've never seen instructions on a keyboard suggest using BOTH connections.
    Bad idea IMO. Either use the USB or the PS2 connector. (It's a PS2
    connector, *not* serial.)

    If you have a spare keyboard, try that on the computer. (Borrow one from a
    neighbor?) You should be able to find out right away if it's the keyboard or
    the computer.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Bud Light" <> wrote in message
    > | So this morning I start up my computer and before the OS even loads I

    get
    > | the message "Keyboard error or no keyboard present". I check the back

    of
    > my
    > | computer and everything is plugged in. I restart the machine and I get
    > the
    > | same error. I unplug the keyboard (Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro) and
    > | restart the machine. I get the same error and then I plug the keyboard
    > back
    > | in. I'm able to hit F1 and the loading process continues. I'm running
    > | Windows XP Professional SP1. When I get to my password login screen the
    > | keyboard is not recognized and I can't type my password. I use my mouse
    > | restart the machine. This time everything goes through fine. I don't

    get
    > | the keyboard error and I'm able to login by typing my password.
    > |
    > | Any thoughts? Is my mobo going down? Is my keyboard ready to be
    > replaced?
    > | Oh yeah, my keyboard has to connectors. One is USB and the other is
    > serial.
    > | The instructions say to plug both in so I do. But I've been using this
    > | keyboard for about 2 years now anyways. Thanks for the help.
    > |
    > I've never seen instructions on a keyboard suggest using BOTH connections.
    > Bad idea IMO. Either use the USB or the PS2 connector. (It's a PS2
    > connector, *not* serial.)
    >
    > If you have a spare keyboard, try that on the computer. (Borrow one from a
    > neighbor?) You should be able to find out right away if it's the keyboard

    or
    > the computer.

    Thanks for the help. I am not having that problem anymore. Hopefully it
    won't crop up again.
    Bud Light, Jan 22, 2005