    Hibernation/wake up failures. Hangs at hibernation, does not completely
    power down. Power light on the hinge button remains on.

    I am presuming I have XP driver incompatabilities. Anyone help ?

    Carl, Dec 21, 2009

  2. I presume you are fully aware this forum is for 64-bit Windows?

    If you're looking for drivers and such for 32-bit XP they're on the Dell
    Support website. Quickset is the application that handles the keyboard
    shortcuts.

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...mID=STUDIO1555&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

    If you're looking for 64-bit XP support, it doesn't look like there is
    any from Dell.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 21, 2009

  3. I wouldn't consider it to be an O/S problem if you decide to install an
    ancient operating system on new hardware - and drivers are not available. I
    would consider it a misinformed choice.

    If the requisite drivers are not available from Dell (yes, it is their
    responsibility to provide these) then you will have to live with the
    problem.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Dec 22, 2009
  4. Carl

    Carl Guest

    Thanks for the reply Bob.
    I've tried the quickset drivers and dell's on-line resources - no joy.
    Still awaiting a response from their customer services.........

    Carl, Dec 22, 2009
  5. Carl

    Carl Guest

    Richard,
    Thanks for your curt reply, you'll do well in Bill's inner circle.

    Some people like fimiliarity - hence my desire for XP, even if I did install
    it in new hardware. Doesn't seem to trouble all the 'Blue chip' companies
    that stick with XP, with new hardware, applications, etc.
    Of course this maybe counter to MS's wish to peddle dubious 'upgrades'.

    If I approached Dell with an order for 1000 studio 1555's with a XP OS - it
    would not be a problem would it. QED.

    All the best for you all MS.

    Carl, Dec 22, 2009
  6. Carl

    Scott Guest

    On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:37:01 -0800, Carl
    <> wrote:

    >Richard,
    >Thanks for your curt reply, you'll do well in Bill's inner circle.
    >
    >Some people like fimiliarity - hence my desire for XP, even if I did install
    >it in new hardware. Doesn't seem to trouble all the 'Blue chip' companies
    >that stick with XP, with new hardware, applications, etc.
    >Of course this maybe counter to MS's wish to peddle dubious 'upgrades'.

    There's a fundamental difference between not upgrading and installing
    obsolete software on a machine not designed for it.

    Scott, Dec 22, 2009
  7. If the hardware wasn't designed for XP then why did Dell sell those
    machines with XP and post the software and drivers on their website for
    download?

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 22, 2009
  8. Carl

    Scott Guest

    On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:07:26 -0500, Bobby Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >If the hardware wasn't designed for XP then why did Dell sell those
    >machines with XP and post the software and drivers on their website for
    >download?

    They were probably built with XP pre-installed. My own experience
    over the years FWIW is that any computer I have owned runs best with
    the OS that was installed at the start (bizarrely, with the exception
    of the one I upgraded to XP).

    Scott, Dec 22, 2009
  9. So, you buy an after market remote for your home entertainment system - and
    it is not compatible. Do you blame the manufacturers of the hardware you
    owned or do you realize that YOU YOU YOU made a poor decision?

    Richard Urban, Dec 23, 2009
  10. Actually the real question is why he posted questions about problems
    installing 32-bit XP on a Dell laptop in a Windows 64-bit Operating
    Systems group? If I have a problem with my Dell laptop, I post in the
    Dell Support forum and usually find an answer.

    After all, do you call a plumber when you want your HVAC serviced?

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 23, 2009