Keyboard Driver

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Jan 5, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello again,

    Never ever have I ever had a problem with a keyboard driver. But there's a
    first time for everything.

    I re-installed XP HE SP2 onto a customer's computer. Basically, the
    keyboard works, but a few of the keys don't do what my customer was
    accustomed to.

    The keyboard is identified, on the bottom, as a Microsoft keyboard: Natural
    Multi Media Keyboard 1.0A. There is no such namesake on the Microsoft site.
    There is something that looks like a likely solution, the IntelliType Pro
    5.5, but also doesn't mention any specific keyboards.

    This customer is a royal pain in my ass, stands over my shoulder and
    questions every single thing that I do, and if the first quick-and-dirty fix
    doesn't work, he freaks. He's also one of my best customers...can anyone
    out there tell me if it's a likelyhood that this driver will make all of the
    keys on this keyboard work?

    Thanks, in advance.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Jan 5, 2007

  2. smackedass

    Patrick Q Guest

    Beat them with it....

    Patrick Q, Jan 5, 2007

  3. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    I say try it, and if doesn't work, unload it.

    Mister, Jan 5, 2007
  4. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    "Patrick Q" <> wrote in message
    > Beat them with it....

    Believe me, I'd like to.

    sa
    smackedass, Jan 6, 2007
  5. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    "Mister" <not_a_chance@this_email_address.com> wrote in message
    >I say try it, and if doesn't work, unload it.

    That's probably what I'll wind up doing. And then, if he freaks, I'll take
    Patrick Q's advice.

    sa
    smackedass, Jan 6, 2007
  6. smackedass

    JohnO Guest

    smackedass wrote:
    > "Mister" <not_a_chance@this_email_address.com> wrote in message
    > >I say try it, and if doesn't work, unload it.

    > That's probably what I'll wind up doing. And then, if he freaks, I'll take
    > Patrick Q's advice.

    Those things come with software...ask him where it is. ;-)

    -John O
    JohnO, Jan 6, 2007
  7. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    > Those things come with software...ask him where it is. ;-)
    >
    > -John O

    Shithead lost it. I hope that he's not following this NG tonight, one time
    I tried to turn him onto it, in the hopes that he'd understand some of the
    things that I find myself up against, and develop a more empathetic
    attitude. Well, if he is reading this, it'll be one way to get myself out
    of having to solve this problem.

    sa
    smackedass, Jan 6, 2007
  8. "smackedass" <> wrote in message

    >> Those things come with software...ask him where it is. ;-)
    >>
    >> -John O

    > Shithead lost it. I hope that he's not following this NG tonight, one
    > time I tried to turn him onto it, in the hopes that he'd understand some
    > of the things that I find myself up against, and develop a more empathetic
    > attitude. Well, if he is reading this, it'll be one way to get myself out
    > of having to solve this problem.
    >
    > sa

    Take a quick look around your local best buy or other comp store and see if
    they have that model. Buy It, copy the cd and return It. heh. Or you could
    email microsoft and ask them what software to use. I don't know why these
    companies make It so hard sometimes to identify hardware and get the correct
    software.
    Dusty Steenbock, Jan 6, 2007
  9. smackedass

    Patrick Q Guest

    "Dusty Steenbock" <> wrote in message

    > "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Those things come with software...ask him where it is. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> -John O

    >> Shithead lost it. I hope that he's not following this NG tonight, one
    >> time I tried to turn him onto it, in the hopes that he'd understand some
    >> of the things that I find myself up against, and develop a more
    >> empathetic attitude. Well, if he is reading this, it'll be one way to
    >> get myself out of having to solve this problem.
    >>
    >> sa

    > Take a quick look around your local best buy or other comp store and see
    > if they have that model. Buy It, copy the cd and return It. heh. Or you
    > could email microsoft and ask them what software to use. I don't know why
    > these companies make It so hard sometimes to identify hardware and get the
    > correct software.

    I'd take a generic keyboard from my home and try it to see if it actually
    the keyboard or a bigger problem. If it is a driver issue, go to
    www.driverguide.com and get a new driver.

    Then beat him with both of them!
    Patrick Q, Jan 6, 2007
  10. smackedass

    Gerard Bok Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Never ever have I ever had a problem with a keyboard driver. But there's a
    >first time for everything.
    >
    >I re-installed XP HE SP2 onto a customer's computer. Basically, the
    >keyboard works, but a few of the keys don't do what my customer was
    >accustomed to.

    Most likely: wrong keyboard setting.
    E.g. if you use a british keyboard and tell Windows it is US-int
    you won't get the expected character if you hit shift 3 (pound
    sign in UK, hash in US-int. If memory serves me :)

    Read all you want --and more-- about it on
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Jan 6, 2007
  11. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    > Most likely: wrong keyboard setting.
    > E.g. if you use a british keyboard and tell Windows it is US-int
    > you won't get the expected character if you hit shift 3 (pound
    > sign in UK, hash in US-int. If memory serves me :)
    >
    > Read all you want --and more-- about it on
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

    Way cool link. And, I will take your reply into consideration, before I do
    anything more complicated.

    Thank you,

    sa
    smackedass, Jan 7, 2007