    use all the time it works fine with my laptop but i tried another keyboard,
    both plug into the ps2 port and dont work. my keyboard works fine in the
    bios. i cannot understand how i can have this problem or what to do about it.
    =?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4=?=, Jun 11, 2005

  2. "jonathan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >i have installed xp 64 bit, and the first thing i see is the logon screen
    > where it wants me to type my administrator password. i press the keys on
    > my
    > keyboard and nothing happens. there is nothing wrong with this keyboard i
    > use all the time it works fine with my laptop but i tried another
    > keyboard,
    > both plug into the ps2 port and dont work. my keyboard works fine in the
    > bios. i cannot understand how i can have this problem or what to do about
    > it.

    Jonathan, go into the BIOS and make sure that legacy USB keyboard support is
    either AUTO or ON.
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 11, 2005

  3. my bios just said usb keyboard support, it was disabled, i enabled it, my
    keyboard still doesnt work, it is not a usb keyboard

    =?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4gZGF2aXM=?=, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Maybe its some unknown defect with Keyboard or the port itself. Have you
    tried with another keyboard to see if its a problem with the port or
    keyboard?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4=?=

    Rick Guest

    What kind of plug is on the end of the cord from your keyboard, and
    where do you plug it into on your computer?

    If the plug is a little round plug, then it's probably a PS2 keyboard.

    If it's a flat, rectangular plug, then it's probably USB.

    Rick, Jun 11, 2005
  6. it is not the keyboard, as i said i have been using the keyboard for a long
    time with my laptop, additionally the keyboard does work in the bios. i have
    found a usb keyboard and it is working. the ps2 keyboard port still does
    not. the ps2 mouse port does not appear to function either.

    =?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4gZGF2aXM=?=, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Well, in that case I would just get both a USB mouse and keyboard and
    replace the PS/2 instead.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 12, 2005
  8. From all your descriptions, I'd say the ps2 ports on your computer are bad or
    disabled for some reason. You should contact the manufacturer of the computer
    (or the motherboard manufacturer if you built it yourself). Meanwhile, use
    the USB keyboard and mouse as you are.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    He has already said two times that the PS2 keyboard works in BIOS setup so
    the motherboard is fine. Maybe some BIOS setting he's missing. Maybe he
    needs to check his Device Manager in Windows for a clue. Maybe a conflict
    of some sort. IRQ

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4=?=

    Tim Guest

    These kind of issues can occur due to earthing faults around the keyboard /
    mouse sockets.
    It is important for the small flanges to touch the case and not be bent out
    of the way. It is rare for static or other issues to affect keyboards, but
    it happens.

    If the k/b didn't work in the bios I would say that the PS2 interface fuse
    was blown (10cent component, but if you aren't a whizz with a soldering iron
    on tiny tiny contacts then its a big problem until you find someone that
    is).

    - Tim

    Tim, Jun 12, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Nice lesson, but since it does work in the BIOS and not in Windows, it is a
    settings problem, somewhere in either the BIOS or in Windows.

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005