Keyboard and windows startup problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hugh McGahon, May 20, 2004.

  1. Hugh McGahon

    Hugh McGahon Guest

    Spec:
    Athlon 2500+
    Gigabyte 7N400L Motherboard
    Crucial 512 PC2700 RAM
    Leadtek Ti4200 Graphics
    Audigy 2 Sound
    Windows 2000 professional OS

    My problems started with a slow boot up. i then tried to install a Usb
    Irda device via the USB port. Windows picked it up as a generic hard
    drive, tried to unplug the device because the installation wasnt a
    success and subsequently locked up.

    On rebooting windows, the boot process went as far as the login screen
    and locked up. On rebooting again the same happened. When i tried to
    reboot in safe mode (hit F8 on boot) my keyboard wouldnt work, i
    rebooted tried to enter the bios and it bacame apparant that my
    keyboard wasnt functioning yet no warning was given. I tried another
    keyboard but the computer (from switching on the machine) will not
    recognise the keyboard meaning i cannot get in to the bios or try to
    boot windows from safe mode.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am left with little option
    but to get a new motherboard and hard drive and start from scratch.

    Cheers

    Hugh McGahon, May 20, 2004