Keyboard adapter - SDL to PS/2 or USB

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Petrushka, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Petrushka

    Petrushka Guest

    Petrushka, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Petrushka

    juicyjuice Guest

    "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
    > Cables Direct so far.
    >
    > I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
    > nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
    > just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
    > http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9417/subcatid/0/id/180046
    >
    > Cheers,

    why don't you get a new keyboard? with the large ps2 type plug...
    what is the point of this mission? lol

    juicyjuice, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Petrushka

    Petrushka Guest

    On 06/04/06 02:58, juicyjuice wrote:
    > "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
    >> Cables Direct so far.
    >>
    >> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
    >> nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
    >> just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
    >> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9417/subcatid/0/id/180046
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > why don't you get a new keyboard? with the large ps2 type plug...
    > what is the point of this mission? lol

    People quite often give away old IBM model M keyboards for free, though it can
    still be a challenge finding them - I was delighted to find one not long ago.
    But getting the same type new (available only from Unicomp,
    http://www.pckeyboard.com) costs about NZ$200 including shipping to NZ. Yowch.

    Cheers,

    Petrushka, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Petrushka

    -=rjh=- Guest

    juicyjuice wrote:
    > "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
    >> Cables Direct so far.
    >>
    >> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
    >> nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
    >> just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
    >> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9417/subcatid/0/id/180046
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > why don't you get a new keyboard? with the large ps2 type plug...
    > what is the point of this mission? lol

    Its because those keyboards are highly sought after by some people -
    they are heavy, solidly built, and some people like the feel of the
    keys. No "Windows" keys, though.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Petrushka

    Bob Guest

    try http://www.surplustronics.co.nz

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > juicyjuice wrote:
    >> "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
    >>> Cables Direct so far.
    >>>
    >>> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
    >>> nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
    >>> just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
    >>> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9417/subcatid/0/id/180046
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> P

    Bob, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Petrushka wrote:
    > Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
    > Cables Direct so far.
    >
    > I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug (a
    > nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got looks
    > just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
    > http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9417/subcatid/0/id/180046

    You could hardwire the lead from a dead keyboard onto the connections on the
    back of the SDL socket in your nice tactile feedback keyboard.

    There are copies of the SDL pinout at

    http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/
    http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk/ohland/keyboard.html

    Mark Robinson, Apr 6, 2006
  7. Petrushka

    Petrushka Guest

    On 06/04/06 16:24, Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Petrushka wrote:
    >> Anyone got any idea if anywhere in NZ sells these? I've tried DSE and
    >> Cables Direct so far.
    >>
    >> I think, at least, that what I've got is a keyboard with an SDL plug
    >> (a nice IBM model M keyboard, yum yum). The plug on the one I've got
    >> looks just like a phone plug -- sample image of an SDL plug:
    >> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9417/subcatid/0/id/180046

    > You could hardwire the lead from a dead keyboard onto the connections on
    > the back of the SDL socket in your nice tactile feedback keyboard.
    >
    > There are copies of the SDL pinout at
    >
    > http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/
    > http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk/ohland/keyboard.html

    Ah, now that is an interesting idea. Thanks muchly for the references. It's been
    about 20 years since I last played with plugs and wiring (in high school, I
    think ...) - mind you, I got the keyboard for free, so if I mess up, easy come
    easy go :)

    thanks

    Petrushka, Apr 6, 2006