    Eric Allen Guest

    what key in win7 do you press during bootup to get the choice of which
    hard drive or floppy/usb you want to boot from?

    Eric Allen, Feb 3, 2010

  2. That is a BIOS function, not Windows 7 function. And, which key used
    would be somewhere in your user's manual.

    On one of my systems it's F9, another is F8 (which I don't like),
    another is F12, and another is the Esc key.

    For Windows options itself the F8 key will let you choose to boot into
    the Safe mode and a couple of options.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 3, 2010

  3. Eric Allen

    Eric Allen Guest

    David Kerber wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> That is a BIOS function, not Windows 7 function. And, which key used
    >> would be somewhere in your user's manual.
    >>
    >> On one of my systems it's F9, another is F8 (which I don't like),
    >> another is F12, and another is the Esc key.

    > My machines are mostly either F2 or Delete.
    >

    >> For Windows options itself the F8 key will let you choose to boot into
    >> the Safe mode and a couple of options.
    >>

    >> On 2010-02-03 15:13, Eric Allen wrote:
    >>> what key in win7 do you press during bootup to get the choice of which
    >>> hard drive or floppy/usb you want to boot from?

    I'm trying to get the menu choice to boot from any source at startup,
    those other keys give me no options

    Eric Allen, Feb 3, 2010
  4. Then you need a commercial boot manager, but I don't have any
    recommendations since I don't use one.

    What you want is not a Windows feature at all - it's a Boot Manager
    feature. A program that you must install and is loaded before Windows
    boots up.

    Search the internet for a Boot Manager.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 3, 2010
  5. Eric Allen

    Eric Allen Guest

    Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > Then you need a commercial boot manager, but I don't have any
    > recommendations since I don't use one.
    >
    > What you want is not a Windows feature at all - it's a Boot Manager
    > feature. A program that you must install and is loaded before Windows
    > boots up.
    >
    > Search the internet for a Boot Manager.
    >

    > On 2010-02-03 16:38, Eric Allen wrote:
    >> David Kerber wrote:
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>> My machines are mostly either F2 or Delete.

    >> I'm trying to get the menu choice to boot from any source at startup,
    >> those other keys give me no options

    I'll see what I can find

    Eric Allen, Feb 3, 2010
  6. Eric Allen

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Eric.

    Bobby gave you the right answer the first time: It's a BIOS function. It
    has NOTHING to do with Windows - or any other operating system. It is a
    choice that must be made BEFORE you ever get to the Boot Manager.

    What make and model of computer do you have? Or which motherboard and BIOS
    if you built it yourself?

    My EPoX motherboard, built 3 years ago (before EPoX went out of business
    <sigh> ), has an Award BIOS dated in 2006. This is the first machine I've
    had that allows me to select the boot device after power-on. Previous
    computers required me to make the selection in the BIOS utility, then
    reboot.

    This BIOS lets me press the <Esc> key almost immediately after power-on - or
    Restart - during the POST (Power-On Self Test). Then the POST continues and
    I see it detect each of my hard drives, then the RAID BIOS kicks in and
    reports that the RAID array is Healthy. And THEN I see a screen that lets
    me choose to boot from Removable device, or Hard Disk, or CD/DVD-ROM. This
    choice is for THIS one boot only; then it reverts to whatever device is set
    in the BIOS to boot from on the next reboot. This comes in very handy when
    installing Vista or Win7 by booting from the DVD; when Setup gets to the
    point where it needs to reboot into Windows, it is already set to boot from
    my chosen HDD.

    If I don't press <Del> to enter the BIOS utility, or <Esc> to choose a
    different boot device, then after POST and RAID detection, the boot manager
    will appear and present the menu for me to choose between Win7, Vista or a
    "Previous" version of Windows.

    But, back to the top of the page: This is a BIOS function. It has nothing
    to do with Win7 or Vista or any other Windows. To answer your question,
    we'll need to know about your HARDWARE. (And it's the same in 32-bit and
    64-bit hardware.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 3, 2010
  7. Eric Allen

    Eric Allen Guest

    R. C. White wrote:
    > Hi, Eric.
    >
    > Bobby gave you the right answer the first time: It's a BIOS function.
    > It has NOTHING to do with Windows - or any other operating system. It
    > is a choice that must be made BEFORE you ever get to the Boot Manager.
    >
    > What make and model of computer do you have? Or which motherboard and
    > BIOS if you built it yourself?
    >
    > My EPoX motherboard, built 3 years ago (before EPoX went out of business
    > <sigh> ), has an Award BIOS dated in 2006. This is the first machine
    > I've had that allows me to select the boot device after power-on.
    > Previous computers required me to make the selection in the BIOS
    > utility, then reboot.
    >
    > This BIOS lets me press the <Esc> key almost immediately after power-on
    > - or Restart - during the POST (Power-On Self Test). Then the POST
    > continues and I see it detect each of my hard drives, then the RAID BIOS
    > kicks in and reports that the RAID array is Healthy. And THEN I see a
    > screen that lets me choose to boot from Removable device, or Hard Disk,
    > or CD/DVD-ROM. This choice is for THIS one boot only; then it reverts
    > to whatever device is set in the BIOS to boot from on the next reboot.
    > This comes in very handy when installing Vista or Win7 by booting from
    > the DVD; when Setup gets to the point where it needs to reboot into
    > Windows, it is already set to boot from my chosen HDD.
    >
    > If I don't press <Del> to enter the BIOS utility, or <Esc> to choose a
    > different boot device, then after POST and RAID detection, the boot
    > manager will appear and present the menu for me to choose between Win7,
    > Vista or a "Previous" version of Windows.
    >
    > But, back to the top of the page: This is a BIOS function. It has
    > nothing to do with Win7 or Vista or any other Windows. To answer your
    > question, we'll need to know about your HARDWARE. (And it's the same in
    > 32-bit and 64-bit hardware.)
    >
    > RC

    ..
    Acer Win7 (just out of the box) I got into the bios and set that. Good
    to go there, thanks.

    Eric Allen, Feb 3, 2010
  8. Eric Allen

    Carlos Guest

    Eric,
    Please provide us the exact names of your motherboard's manufacturer and
    model.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 3, 2010
  9. Eric Allen

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Eric.

    Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the feedback.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 4, 2010
  10. Eric Allen

    Eric Allen Guest

    R. C. White wrote:
    > Hi, Eric.
    >
    > Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the feedback.
    >
    > RC

    Thanks for the help...

    Eric Allen, Feb 4, 2010
  11. Eric Allen

    Tom Guest

    "Eric Allen" <> wrote in message
    > what key in win7 do you press during bootup to get the choice of which
    > hard drive or floppy/usb you want to boot from?

    Nearly all modern ( I am talking within the past 10 years) motherboards will
    display the keys to hit to get into the BIOS as it posts the hardware so you
    can change the boot sequence. Sometimes, PC manufacturers lock this out. So,
    if you had yours built, it is likely in the manuals or you can all them for
    support. Most manufacturers use the delete button though, from my
    experience.

    Tom, Feb 4, 2010
  12. Eric Allen

    Tom Guest

    Right, but they are typically displayed during the POST process before
    Windows beings it venture into logon land.

    Tom, Feb 4, 2010