    legally? The place that I purchased it told me I have to have the original
    key or buy a new program. Their has to be a way to get the key through
    Microsoft. It is registered under my name. Help.....

    Frank Kraft, Jan 19, 2008

  2. Frank Kraft

    mikeyhsd Guest

    there are programs available., GOOGLE for it do no have any names that come to mind.

    "Frank Kraft" <Frank > wrote in message news:...
    My computer has locked up and I started reinstalling, got to the key input
    and con not find the booklet that has the key. How can I retrieve the key

    mikeyhsd, Jan 19, 2008

  3. The product key is not registered in your name with MS. The PK is activated
    but that ties the PK to the hardware, not you. You are not asked for any
    identifying information at the time you activate.

    If you also registered when you activated then you are registered as a
    Windows user. You are the only thing that gets registered. You are not
    asked for the PK by the registration wizard and it does not retrieve your PK
    either.

    Here is info on getting a replacement PK.
    In KB 326246 it states:

    Replacement product key
    To replace a product key, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support. To
    locate the appropriate telephone number, visit the following Microsoft Web
    site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;cntactms)

    This is the US/Canada support portal and the bottom line is to call (800)
    MICROSOFT (642-7676).

    You will probably need a proof of purchase.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 20, 2008