    Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Kev

    Kevin Kelly, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Kevin Kelly

    Magnum Guest

    1. Advertising

  3. Kevin Kelly

    hootnholler Guest

    Hey Kev,

    This could also be from the drive being formatted as ntfs. It has a unique
    feature where it constantly 'defrags' the drive. Nothing to worry about,
    it's by design. If you are using fat32, check out the above link.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Kevin Kelly

    hootnholler Guest

    > > Hey Kev,
    > >
    > > This could also be from the drive being formatted as ntfs. It has a

    > unique
    > > feature where it constantly 'defrags' the drive.

    > No, it doesn't.

    I should have posted more information on that...

    NTFS is a unique file system that uses a MFT, master file table. The table
    constantly changes size as files are being written and removed to the hard
    drive. It is in a reserved part of the hard drive. It is similar to the
    FAT, but it resides in several areas on the drive, instead of usually right
    at the beginning.

    Also, NTFS has the ability to move the most accessed files to the front of
    the drive, and lesser used files to the end. Hence, why I said a 'unique
    feature where it constantly 'defrags' the drive.' Tech is right, it's not a
    full defrag, as most people know it, but it's a unique feature to NTFS.

    Found a good article, for those of you wanting more information...
    http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=27&ArticleID=3455

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Kevin Kelly

    Kevin Kelly Guest

    Now Now boys, take it easy.
    It is connected correctly, i might not know as much as some, but i know a
    bit more than the basics. I'm here to learn from you lot who probably could
    make my PC knowledge look laughable!!
    The light was flashing correctly, the only thing i can think of is on
    Saturday i added a 40Gb HDD as a slave for extra storage.
    So, have a 20Gb Master, with slaved 40Gb, It surely must be something to do
    with that as what else, i've probably done something wrong!!
    Thanks Hoot and Imho,
    Kev
    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    > "hootnholler" <> wrote in message

    > > > unique
    > > >
    > > > No, it doesn't.
    > > >

    > > I should have posted more information on that...
    > >
    > > NTFS is a unique file system that uses a MFT, master file table. The

    > table
    > > constantly changes size as files are being written and removed to the

    hard
    > > drive. It is in a reserved part of the hard drive. It is similar to

    the
    > > FAT, but it resides in several areas on the drive, instead of usually

    > right
    > > at the beginning.
    > >
    > > Also, NTFS has the ability to move the most accessed files to the front

    of
    > > the drive, and lesser used files to the end. Hence, why I said a

    'unique
    > > feature where it constantly 'defrags' the drive.' Tech is right, it's

    not
    > > full defrag, as most people know it, but it's a unique feature to NTFS.
    > >
    > > Found a good article, for those of you wanting more information...
    > > http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=27&ArticleID=3455
    > >
    > > Hoot
    > >

    > AH, okay then, you know we tech types get picky about specifics. (and
    > remember there ar emany non-techies or new techs reading here, when you

    say
    > defrag that exactly what most will think). I don't think what you're
    > refering to will cause the issue in question though.
    >
    > Probably should reply to the OP with this rest, but anyway, if the system

    is
    > functioning correctly I don't think the constant on is related to any
    > 'normal' function. Assuming otherwise normal function my first thought is
    > that the HD LED is not plugged in correctly, except that the OP didn't
    > mention a build or hardware change so I'm guessing that's not it.
    > I have seen similar, but there were other symptoms as well. Particularly

    on

    Kevin Kelly, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Kevin Kelly

    hootnholler Guest

    Aw, no worries, Kev, it's mainly my fault. I knew right when I hit send,
    that comment may make some hairs stand up.

    Tech is right, we should try to keep our answers as simple as possible. I
    made a judgement call, and tech got me. No harm, no foul. I try to help in
    the chats, been doing so for years, and this question usually starts a good
    argument. Not quite, but almost as good as intel vs. amd... ;-)

    After that, I would agree with what tech has stated last, if it's working
    okay, I wouldn't worry about it. Part of my response was to add to the
    obvious statement that someone had posted, it's more than likely some
    program running in the background that's accessing the drive. If you have
    verified that it is not a program, then that's why I posted my statement.
    That one is from personal experience, took me about 2 months to find the
    answer, and that's what I finally came up with. Started with win2k and
    ntfs... was wondering the exact same thing on my personal system.

    Now, though, I see your main concern is the light on the case/tower. To be
    honest, I'm not sure why it's not coming on. I would guess, right off the
    bat, that the connection is not proper, but if it is, I don't know enough
    about the mobo setup to say what activates that light. Is it the
    information on the ide channel? The voltage usage off the 12 VDC rail that
    tells it when to come on? Does it reside in the BIOS settings? I do know
    that those led's work off of DC voltage, so it may be the 12 vdc rail that's
    telling it when to come on. Maybe try switching power connections? Do you
    have the same ribbon cables on both drives? Are they both rated for the
    same speeds, ie, ata/100, etc...?

    Sorry I can't be more specific, and I'm just as guilty as others. I have a
    case, right next to me, that the hd light is always on.. I just never
    worried about it enough to try and fix it.. lol.

    hootnholler, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Kevin Kelly

    Kevin Kelly Guest

    Thanks Hoot,
    wasn't having a go, you've helped me before, i just find it amusing
    sometimes when something is asked and people start arguing!!! Lol
    Anyway, maybe it is the Mobo, who knows! Am i past caring, nearly!!! Loads
    of processes running in task mngr, think i'll just see what happens.
    Take care Hoot,
    Kev

    Kevin Kelly, Dec 17, 2003