Kernel Usage In Win98SE Through The Roof. Why?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Diane, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Diane

    Diane Guest

    Am running Windows98SE with 256MByte ram, P3 1Ghz processor.

    No real apparent problems untill recently, system seemed a little
    sluggish on start up. Like, desktop icons sluggish to appear at
    startup, even after a full Scandisk, and Defrag.

    Checked all the usual, MSCONFIG to see whats starting with the
    computer. I always keep on top of whats being loaded, and the usual
    two are in there, only two entries that I always have:

    ScanRegistry and SystemTray

    If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to see whats running, same two thats always in
    there also:

    Explorer and SysTray

    Thats it. But, I started up Microsoft System Monitor, and chose to
    view the Kernel Processor Usage monitor, and it is maxed at 100% non
    stop. Even if I am not doing anything. From the time I start the
    computer, all through all operations, it stays slammed up at 100%.

    I know this cant be normal. What would cause this, and how can I stop
    this?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Diane, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Diane

    °Mike° Guest

    It's impossible for Windows to start with *only* scanregistry
    and system tray, so I suspect there is some things that you
    are omitting to tell. Start here:

    Basic computer maintenance

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:11:41 GMT, in
    <>
    Diane scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Diane wrote:
    > Am running Windows98SE with 256MByte ram, P3 1Ghz processor.

    > No real apparent problems untill recently, system seemed a little
    > sluggish on start up. Like, desktop icons sluggish to appear at
    > startup, even after a full Scandisk, and Defrag.

    > Checked all the usual, MSCONFIG to see whats starting with the
    > computer. I always keep on top of whats being loaded, and the usual
    > two are in there, only two entries that I always have:

    > ScanRegistry and SystemTray

    > If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to see whats running, same two thats always in
    > there also:

    > Explorer and SysTray

    ATM may show more processes than WinTaskManager. Windows lies. :)

    http://blinkynet.net/free.html

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Happily slrning again.
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Diane

    Ron Martell Guest

    Diane <> wrote:

    >Am running Windows98SE with 256MByte ram, P3 1Ghz processor.
    >
    >No real apparent problems untill recently, system seemed a little
    >sluggish on start up. Like, desktop icons sluggish to appear at
    >startup, even after a full Scandisk, and Defrag.
    >
    >Checked all the usual, MSCONFIG to see whats starting with the
    >computer. I always keep on top of whats being loaded, and the usual
    >two are in there, only two entries that I always have:
    >
    >ScanRegistry and SystemTray
    >
    >If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to see whats running, same two thats always in
    >there also:
    >
    >Explorer and SysTray
    >
    >Thats it. But, I started up Microsoft System Monitor, and chose to
    >view the Kernel Processor Usage monitor, and it is maxed at 100% non
    >stop. Even if I am not doing anything. From the time I start the
    >computer, all through all operations, it stays slammed up at 100%.
    >
    >I know this cant be normal. What would cause this, and how can I stop
    >this?
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    The System Monitor utility in Windows is well-known for reporting
    inaccurate data for Kernel Processor Usage. This is a common flaw
    with many utilities that purport to track this information, but there
    are some that are accurate.

    One that does work well is WinTop, which is part of the Windows 95
    Kernel Toys download from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95kerneltoy/

    Note that these are Windows 95 and not Windows 98 utilities. While
    WinTop is safe to use with Windows 98 and performs reliably and
    accurately that is not true for the other components of the Kernel
    Toys. So only use WinTop and ignore the other items with Windows 98.

    As for the Windows 98 System Monitor I once saw a system where 2
    instances of the System Monitor were running at the same time, both
    purporting to report Kernel Processor Usage. The value being
    reported by one was always exactly 100% minus whatever the other was
    reporting. So if one said 90% the other said 10% and if one said zero
    the other said 100%.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --