Kerio Personal firewall

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    "MahaRaj" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > HI
    > I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP

    shalalala
    > it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
    > I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is easy

    > use?
    > thanks

    your're gonna have to find that out for yourself.. cos all you will get here
    are opinions.. some good some bad.. as to the "easy bit" i cannot look into
    your brain to find out which intelectual status you have.. so download and
    read the manual
    http://www.kerio.com/supp_kpf_manual.html..
    also to make your own "opinion" google ( www.google.co.uk ) for kerio
    firewall review and personal firewall reviews..

    Brian, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Brian

    MahaRaj Guest

    HI
    I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP shalalala
    it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
    I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is easy to
    use?
    thanks

    MahaRaj, Jul 10, 2004

  3. Brian

    MahaRaj Guest

    LOL
    good one.

    MahaRaj, Jul 10, 2004
  4. MahaRaj wrote:

    > HI
    > I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP shalalala
    > it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
    > I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is easy to
    > use?

    1. Yes. 2. Yes, if you're not afraid to learn something.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 10, 2004
  5. Brian

    sethra Guest

    "MahaRaj" <> wrote in

    > HI
    > I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP
    > shalalala it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
    > I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is
    > easy to use?
    > thanks

    I've been using Kerio v2.1.5 for quite some time now and have been very
    happy with it.

    It's an older version, but it does what it needs to, without bloat and
    without hogging system resources.

    Newer versions include all sorts of extra "features" in addition to the
    firewall itself, but I run an HTTP proxy and hosts file, among other
    things, so I don't find those features necessary so I haven't upgraded.

    Kerio is "easy to use" as long as you take some time to learn how to
    properly configure the internet access rules for the programs you run.

    Version 2.1.5 is freeware, though unsupported, and you might have to
    search a bit for it.

    HTH,
    --
    ~sethra

    sethra, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Brian

    MahaRaj Guest

    thanks sethra.
    I have downloaded the 4.016 version. It does not hog the system and my
    system is even faster without ZoneAlarm now.

    Only one thing in KERIO is it ask lots of question and there are no
    recommendations so you do not know what to click PERMIT or DENY.

    I would say it is only for the advance users, who knows about the ports and
    stuffs.
    Over all I do not feel comfortable using Kerio as I do not know whats going
    on.
    But I am still keeping it and will try to learn this S**ker.

    MahaRaj, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Brian

    sethra Guest

    "MahaRaj" <> wrote in

    > thanks sethra.
    > I have downloaded the 4.016 version. It does not hog the system and my
    > system is even faster without ZoneAlarm now.
    >
    > Only one thing in KERIO is it ask lots of question and there are no
    > recommendations so you do not know what to click PERMIT or DENY.
    >
    > I would say it is only for the advance users, who knows about the
    > ports and stuffs.
    > Over all I do not feel comfortable using Kerio as I do not know whats
    > going on.
    > But I am still keeping it and will try to learn this S**ker.

    These pages might help:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1. Kerio and pre-v3.0 Tiny PFW
    http://www.blarp.com/faq/faqmanager.cgi?toc=kerio
    http://www.dslextreme.com/users/surferslim/tpf.html
    http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/firewall.html

    And these Forums:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio
    http://forums.kerio.com/
    http://forums.blarp.com/~security/guests
    http://forums.blarp.com/~security

    It's confusing at first, I realize, but worth the trouble in the end.

    The first page should still be valid, even though you're using v4 and
    it's written for v2 -- both are "rules"-based firewalls, so the same
    applications, ports, and protocols would still apply.

    Regards,
    --
    ~sethra

    sethra, Jul 11, 2004
  8. Brian

    Bigfred Guest

    I like Outpost................... http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost

    Bigfred, Jul 11, 2004
  9. MahaRaj wrote:

    > thanks sethra.
    > I have downloaded the 4.016 version. It does not hog the system and my
    > system is even faster without ZoneAlarm now.

    > Only one thing in KERIO is it ask lots of question and there are no
    > recommendations so you do not know what to click PERMIT or DENY.

    > I would say it is only for the advance users, who knows about the ports and
    > stuffs.

    Learn about them.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263