Kerio Personal Firewall - how to use with a LAN?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by JD, Aug 5, 2010.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    Hi Experts,

    I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
    great for the Internet but it is blocking
    a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
    starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
    its own firewall. I read through the instructions
    but they give no indication how to poke a hole
    through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7. If
    anyone knows how, please advise.

    If both boxes are connected to the Internet, the
    Kerio firewall blocks the LAN communications. When
    I shut Kerio down I can communicate on the LAN but
    there is one glitch.

    Shares were setup.

    On Win7 the share is \\Box\share - it was labeled
    by Win 7 as Share (\\Box) (Y:)
    and it showed X Share1 (\\Box1) (Z:). The X
    was in red showing that there was
    something wrong there - related to Win2K - Box1.
    On the Win 7 I could see the Win 7 and Win2K
    shares on Box1 and access both of them.

    For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1
    On it, I could see both folders - Box1 was
    already on Win2K but the Box folder (from Win 7)
    was there and not accessible. The same 2 admins
    are listed on both boxes so I can't see why either
    would be denied admission on Box.

    Help would be appreciated.

    TIA
    JD, Aug 5, 2010

  2. From: "JD" <>

    | Hi Experts,

    | I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
    | great for the Internet but it is blocking
    | a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
    | starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
    | its own firewall. I read through the instructions
    | but they give no indication how to poke a hole
    | through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7. If
    | anyone knows how, please advise.

    | If both boxes are connected to the Internet, the
    | Kerio firewall blocks the LAN communications. When
    | I shut Kerio down I can communicate on the LAN but
    | there is one glitch.

    | Shares were setup.

    | On Win7 the share is \\Box\share - it was labeled
    | by Win 7 as Share (\\Box) (Y:)
    | and it showed X Share1 (\\Box1) (Z:). The X
    | was in red showing that there was
    | something wrong there - related to Win2K - Box1.
    | On the Win 7 I could see the Win 7 and Win2K
    | shares on Box1 and access both of them.

    | For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1
    | On it, I could see both folders - Box1 was
    | already on Win2K but the Box folder (from Win 7)
    | was there and not accessible. The same 2 admins
    | are listed on both boxes so I can't see why either
    | would be denied admission on Box.

    | Help would be appreciated.

    Allow NetBIOS over IP (TCP/UDP pots 135 ~ 139 and 445) on the LAN side and block them on
    the WAN/LAN barrier.

    --
    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Aug 6, 2010

  3. JD

    JD Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "JD" <>
    >
    > | Hi Experts,
    >
    > | I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
    > | great for the Internet but it is blocking
    > | a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
    > | starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
    > | its own firewall. I read through the instructions
    > | but they give no indication how to poke a hole
    > | through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7. If
    > | anyone knows how, please advise.
    >
    > | If both boxes are connected to the Internet, the
    > | Kerio firewall blocks the LAN communications. When
    > | I shut Kerio down I can communicate on the LAN but
    > | there is one glitch.
    >
    > | Shares were setup.
    >
    > | On Win7 the share is \\Box\share - it was labeled
    > | by Win 7 as Share (\\Box) (Y:)
    > | and it showed X Share1 (\\Box1) (Z:). The X
    > | was in red showing that there was
    > | something wrong there - related to Win2K - Box1.
    > | On the Win 7 I could see the Win 7 and Win2K
    > | shares on Box1 and access both of them.
    >
    > | For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1
    > | On it, I could see both folders - Box1 was
    > | already on Win2K but the Box folder (from Win 7)
    > | was there and not accessible. The same 2 admins
    > | are listed on both boxes so I can't see why either
    > | would be denied admission on Box.
    >
    > | Help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Allow NetBIOS over IP (TCP/UDP pots 135 ~ 139 and 445) on the LAN side and block them on
    > the WAN/LAN barrier.

    Thanks David but I would need more info. I am much
    more familiar with TCP/IP than with NetBios. I
    read through two textbooks on NetBios and
    concluded that they were mostly copied from other
    sources and very unclear. Do you know of any
    source that is very clear on this topic?
    JD, Aug 9, 2010
  4. From: "JD" <>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "JD" <>

    >> | Hi Experts,

    >> | I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
    >> | great for the Internet but it is blocking
    >> | a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
    >> | starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
    >> | its own firewall. I read through the instructions
    >> | but they give no indication how to poke a hole
    >> | through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7. If
    >> | anyone knows how, please advise.

    >> | If both boxes are connected to the Internet, the
    >> | Kerio firewall blocks the LAN communications. When
    >> | I shut Kerio down I can communicate on the LAN but
    >> | there is one glitch.

    >> | Shares were setup.

    >> | On Win7 the share is \\Box\share - it was labeled
    >> | by Win 7 as Share (\\Box) (Y:)
    >> | and it showed X Share1 (\\Box1) (Z:). The X
    >> | was in red showing that there was
    >> | something wrong there - related to Win2K - Box1.
    >> | On the Win 7 I could see the Win 7 and Win2K
    >> | shares on Box1 and access both of them.

    >> | For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1
    >> | On it, I could see both folders - Box1 was
    >> | already on Win2K but the Box folder (from Win 7)
    >> | was there and not accessible. The same 2 admins
    >> | are listed on both boxes so I can't see why either
    >> | would be denied admission on Box.

    >> | Help would be appreciated.

    >> Allow NetBIOS over IP (TCP/UDP pots 135 ~ 139 and 445) on the LAN side and block them
    >> on
    >> the WAN/LAN barrier.

    | Thanks David but I would need more info. I am much
    | more familiar with TCP/IP than with NetBios. I
    | read through two textbooks on NetBios and
    | concluded that they were mostly copied from other
    | sources and very unclear. Do you know of any
    | source that is very clear on this topic?

    No. NetBIOS is just a protocol that is tranported via TCP/IP and is the basis of most
    Windows networking.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbios

    --
    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Aug 9, 2010
  5. JD

    JD Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "JD" <>
    >
    > | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>> From: "JD" <>

    >>> Allow NetBIOS over IP (TCP/UDP pots 135 ~ 139 and 445) on the LAN side and block them
    >>> on
    >>> the WAN/LAN barrier.

    > | Thanks David but I would need more info. I am much
    > | more familiar with TCP/IP than with NetBios. I
    > | read through two textbooks on NetBios and
    > | concluded that they were mostly copied from other
    > | sources and very unclear. Do you know of any
    > | source that is very clear on this topic?
    >
    > No. NetBIOS is just a protocol that is tranported via TCP/IP and is the basis of most
    > Windows networking.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbios

    Thanks David.

    I have done lots of reading on this topic, including 2 textbooks, the
    Wiki NetBios, and in all cases, it seemed to me that the authors did not
    understand the situation or were just incompetent writers.

    I am now buying a crossover cable to connect the boxes.
    JD, Aug 12, 2010
  6. From: "JD" <>

    | Thanks David.

    | I have done lots of reading on this topic, including 2 textbooks, the
    | Wiki NetBios, and in all cases, it seemed to me that the authors did not
    | understand the situation or were just incompetent writers.

    | I am now buying a crossover cable to connect the boxes.

    Why ?

    Why use a X-Over cable vs. a OTC hub or Ethernet switch ?

    What is your objective ?

    --
    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Aug 12, 2010
  7. JD

    JD Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "JD" <>
    >

    > | Thanks David.
    >
    > | I have done lots of reading on this topic, including 2 textbooks, the
    > | Wiki NetBios, and in all cases, it seemed to me that the authors did not
    > | understand the situation or were just incompetent writers.
    >
    > | I am now buying a crossover cable to connect the boxes.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > Why use a X-Over cable vs. a OTC hub or Ethernet switch ?
    >
    > What is your objective ?

    Convenience. It cost about $9, I bought it locally, and I am fed up of
    trying to bust a firewall.
    JD, Aug 13, 2010
  8. From: "JD" <>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "JD" <>

    >> | Thanks David.

    >> | I have done lots of reading on this topic, including 2 textbooks, the
    >> | Wiki NetBios, and in all cases, it seemed to me that the authors did not
    >> | understand the situation or were just incompetent writers.

    >> | I am now buying a crossover cable to connect the boxes.

    >> Why ?

    >> Why use a X-Over cable vs. a OTC hub or Ethernet switch ?

    >> What is your objective ?

    | Convenience. It cost about $9, I bought it locally, and I am fed up of
    | trying to bust a firewall.

    So, the two boxes will ONLY communicate between themselves via File and Print Shares ?

    --
    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Aug 13, 2010
  9. JD

    JD Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "JD" <>
    >
    > | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>> From: "JD" <>

    >>> Why ?

    >>> Why use a X-Over cable vs. a OTC hub or Ethernet switch ?

    >>> What is your objective ?

    > | Convenience. It cost about $9, I bought it locally, and I am fed up of
    > | trying to bust a firewall.
    >
    > So, the two boxes will ONLY communicate between themselves via File and Print Shares ?

    By switching two plugs both boxes go online again.
    However, they still don't communicate any better
    than previously.

    I have found some holes in Kerio firewall but,
    astonishingly, no matter what I do I cannot get
    access to the share on the Win 7 from Win2K.
    Always - No Access. It's the same story with the
    crossover cable. I have the same 2 admins on each
    box and on the Win 7 they have given complete
    access to the files. The Win 7 firewall is
    supposed to be completely open for local networks.
    That reminds me to knock down that firewall for a
    test.
    JD, Aug 14, 2010
  10. On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 15:03:39 -0700, JD wrote:

    > For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1

    FYI, we dumped all our Win2K boxes to XP because we couldn't get
    reliable, trouble-free interchange between them and XP. Win2k-Win2k
    fine, XP-XP fine; Win2K-XP crap.

    I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't still the case with the newer
    OS.
    --
    A fireside chat not with Ari!
    http://tr.im/holj
    Ari Silverstein, Aug 14, 2010
  11. JD

    JD Guest

    Ari Silverstein wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 15:03:39 -0700, JD wrote:
    >
    >> For the Win2K desktop the share is \\Box1\share1

    > FYI, we dumped all our Win2K boxes to XP because we couldn't get
    > reliable, trouble-free interchange between them and XP. Win2k-Win2k
    > fine, XP-XP fine; Win2K-XP crap.
    >
    > I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't still the case with the newer
    > OS.

    Very interesting Ari.

    I just sent a query to Samsung about my inability
    to connect the boxes.

    Thanks for the info.
    JD, Aug 14, 2010