    resolve is kill it.

    Any opinions on returning to Version 2 (specifically security issue with V2) which
    was much simpler to use and offered a clear and concise status view.

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Use.Netuser.de

    Clive Guest

    "Use.Netuser.de" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone finding Kerio 4 a greedy little tyke.
    > If I open the GUI from Task Bar sometimes it absorbs ~95% CPU and the only
    > way to
    > resolve is kill it.
    >
    > Any opinions on returning to Version 2 (specifically security issue with
    > V2) which
    > was much simpler to use and offered a clear and concise status view.

    I've played with version 4 and 4.1. Returned to version 2 (XP Pro SP2), much
    better than version 4 IMHO

    Clive

    Clive, Oct 14, 2004

  3. I have been sticking pins in my Kerio doll ever since they abandoned the 2.x
    footprint and moved into the bloatware business. Everything I have heard about
    4.x has been bad. If there are security problems with 2.x, I haven't heard of
    them.

    I keep hoping someone will release a current small footprint, rule based
    firewall in the tradition of AtGuard and Tiny/Kerio, but there don't appear to
    be any goats among the sheep.
    ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

    \Crash\ Dummy, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Use.Netuser.de

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have been sticking pins in my Kerio doll ever since they abandoned the 2.x
    > footprint and moved into the bloatware business. Everything I have heard about
    > 4.x has been bad. If there are security problems with 2.x, I haven't heard of
    > them.

    Kerio 4 is terrible. More bugs than anything else I've ever seen. If
    anyone doubts this, just browse thru their forums for a while..

    > I keep hoping someone will release a current small footprint, rule based
    > firewall in the tradition of AtGuard and Tiny/Kerio, but there don't appear to
    > be any goats among the sheep.

    There IS a new stateful inspection, rule based firewall called Jetico
    Personal Firewall, which I've tried and like. It's still in beta, but
    my experience with it so far has been good. And they are extremely good
    about responding to email and bug reports. You might take a look and
    see what you think.

    http://www.jetico.com/

    The interface is rather confusing at first, not as concise as Kerio 2.x
    where everything is right there in one place before you. But once you
    get used to it and see where things are and how they work, then it's not
    bad. The footprint is quite light. A very small executable/dll and
    modest memory usage as well.

    It's worth a try..

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Oct 15, 2004
  5. >There IS a new stateful inspection, rule based firewall called Jetico
    >Personal Firewall, which I've tried and like. It's still in beta, but
    >my experience with it so far has been good. And they are extremely good
    >about responding to email and bug reports. You might take a look and
    >see what you think.

    Thanks. I will.

    If it's any good, Symantec will probably buy it and turn it into a 40 MB suite
    of bloated junk. :)

    \Crash\ Dummy, Oct 15, 2004
  6. Use.Netuser.de

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >There IS a new stateful inspection, rule based firewall called Jetico
    > >Personal Firewall, which I've tried and like. It's still in beta, but
    > >my experience with it so far has been good. And they are extremely good
    > >about responding to email and bug reports. You might take a look and
    > >see what you think.

    > Thanks. I will.
    >
    > If it's any good, Symantec will probably buy it and turn it into a 40 MB suite
    > of bloated junk. :)

    Yeah, that's the unfortunate trend these days.. :)

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Oct 15, 2004
  7. Use.Netuser.de

    Quaoar Guest

    > Anyone finding Kerio 4 a greedy little tyke.
    > If I open the GUI from Task Bar sometimes it absorbs ~95% CPU and the
    > only way to
    > resolve is kill it.
    >
    > Any opinions on returning to Version 2 (specifically security issue
    > with V2) which
    > was much simpler to use and offered a clear and concise status view.

    Version4.0x was a dog at resource consumption. The current version
    4.1.1 is far better. Opening the overview tab results in 6% or less CPU
    on one of my comps, about 4% on another.

    Quaoar, Oct 15, 2004
  8. Use.Netuser.de

    Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:21:51 +0100, "Use.Netuser.de"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone finding Kerio 4 a greedy little tyke.
    >If I open the GUI from Task Bar sometimes it absorbs ~95% CPU and the only way to
    >resolve is kill it.
    >
    >Any opinions on returning to Version 2 (specifically security issue with V2) which
    >was much simpler to use and offered a clear and concise status view.

    Hmm..checking, I'm using v2.1.5 on Win2k.

    Are there any major problems with this old thing ?

    Seems to work fine.

    , Oct 15, 2004
  9. ""Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message
    > I have been sticking pins in my Kerio doll ever since they abandoned the 2.x
    > footprint and moved into the bloatware business. Everything I have heard about
    > 4.x has been bad. If there are security problems with 2.x, I haven't heard of
    > them.
    >
    > I keep hoping someone will release a current small footprint, rule based
    > firewall in the tradition of AtGuard and Tiny/Kerio, but there don't appear to
    > be any goats among the sheep.

    Thanks for the input everyone. I'll go back to Version 2.
    I like the small footprint and all in one aspects of 2.x setting up rule sets.
    I agree with you guys 4.x is bloatware and too many bugs.

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 15, 2004

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 15, 2004