    work? (I'm thinking of hotel rooms). Can they be "picked". Can the wire
    simply be cut with pliers or a bolt cutter?

    Thank you.
    its_my_dime, Jul 28, 2006

  2. its_my_dime

    Toolman Tim Guest

    its_my_dime wrote:
    > Does anyone have experience with laptop Kensington or other locks? Do they
    > work? (I'm thinking of hotel rooms). Can they be "picked".

    Any lock can be picked.

    > Can the wire simply be cut with pliers or a bolt cutter?

    Of course.

    I used to tell people the best security is the car trunk (boot). But mine
    was stolen out of the trunk - they broke a window and hit the trunk release
    button on the dashboard.

    Now I tell people the best security is to carry it with them and never set
    it down <g> (unless of course one encounters a mugger...)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2006

  3. its_my_dime

    clot Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > its_my_dime wrote:
    >> Does anyone have experience with laptop Kensington or other locks?
    >> Do they work? (I'm thinking of hotel rooms). Can they be "picked".

    > Any lock can be picked.
    >
    >> Can the wire simply be cut with pliers or a bolt cutter?

    > Of course.
    >
    > I used to tell people the best security is the car trunk (boot). But
    > mine was stolen out of the trunk - they broke a window and hit the
    > trunk release button on the dashboard.
    >
    > Now I tell people the best security is to carry it with them and
    > never set it down <g> (unless of course one encounters a mugger...)

    When and where did you put it into the boot? That's an important issue!
    clot, Jul 28, 2006
  4. its_my_dime

    Toolman Tim Guest

    clot wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> its_my_dime wrote:
    >>> Does anyone have experience with laptop Kensington or other locks?
    >>> Do they work? (I'm thinking of hotel rooms). Can they be "picked".

    >> Any lock can be picked.
    >>
    >>> Can the wire simply be cut with pliers or a bolt cutter?

    >> Of course.
    >>
    >> I used to tell people the best security is the car trunk (boot). But
    >> mine was stolen out of the trunk - they broke a window and hit the
    >> trunk release button on the dashboard.
    >>
    >> Now I tell people the best security is to carry it with them and
    >> never set it down <g> (unless of course one encounters a mugger...)

    > When and where did you put it into the boot? That's an important
    > issue!

    We flew into Los Angeles, and put the luggage and laptop in the trunk at the
    airport. We then drove several miles to a restaurant at a small shopping
    mall. It was broke into there during dinner. It was Christmas season, and
    the policed said that a large number of cars had been busted into - someone
    looking for free Christmas presents.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2006
  5. its_my_dime

    clot Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > clot wrote:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Any lock can be picked.

    >>> Of course.
    >>>
    >>> I used to tell people the best security is the car trunk (boot). But
    >>> mine was stolen out of the trunk - they broke a window and hit the
    >>> trunk release button on the dashboard.
    >>>
    >>> Now I tell people the best security is to carry it with them and
    >>> never set it down <g> (unless of course one encounters a mugger...)

    >> When and where did you put it into the boot? That's an important
    >> issue!

    > We flew into Los Angeles, and put the luggage and laptop in the trunk
    > at the airport. We then drove several miles to a restaurant at a
    > small shopping mall. It was broke into there during dinner. It was
    > Christmas season, and the policed said that a large number of cars
    > had been busted into - someone looking for free Christmas presents.

    You'd obviously done the right thing and I'm sorry that your motor was
    so attractive. I don't have a ready hash on this keyboard, so apols.
    for that; but No.1: a hire car with obvious signs? Much dross left in
    the cabin? Where was the car parked? I've had mine done sveral times and
    cannot crow!

    Whilst at a conference in Anahiem years ago, my No.2 wanted a baseball
    bat which I duely got, but the issues at LAX!
    clot, Jul 28, 2006
  6. its_my_dime

    Toolman Tim Guest

    clot wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> clot wrote:

    >>> When and where did you put it into the boot? That's an important
    >>> issue!

    >> We flew into Los Angeles, and put the luggage and laptop in the trunk
    >> at the airport. We then drove several miles to a restaurant at a
    >> small shopping mall. It was broke into there during dinner. It was
    >> Christmas season, and the policed said that a large number of cars
    >> had been busted into - someone looking for free Christmas presents.

    > You'd obviously done the right thing and I'm sorry that your motor was
    > so attractive. I don't have a ready hash on this keyboard, so apols.
    > for that; but No.1: a hire car with obvious signs? Much dross left in
    > the cabin? Where was the car parked? I've had mine done sveral times
    > and cannot crow!

    Nope - family sedan, basically the cabin was empty. I think the parking
    situation was a big part of the problem. Had to park too far away from the
    entrance, and then parking thinned out while the family was inside.

    > Whilst at a conference in Anahiem years ago, my No.2 wanted a baseball
    > bat which I duely got, but the issues at LAX!

    Yup. I've not been back. I am going into California in September again, but
    this time I'm driving into the Sierra Nevadas for a vacation. Might make it
    as far south as Yosemite. I'm hoping to borrow a friend's 8mp digital Canon
    SLR for the trip.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2006
  7. On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:22:59 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Now I tell people the best security is to carry it with them and never set
    > it down <g> (unless of course one encounters a mugger...)

    How about hitting the mugger with it?

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074°N 117.754°W
    gary [] donavan [] org * http://www [] donavan [] org
    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 29, 2006
  8. On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:56:05 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I am going into California in September again, but
    > this time I'm driving into the Sierra Nevadas for a vacation. Might make it
    > as far south as Yosemite. I'm hoping to borrow a friend's 8mp digital Canon
    > SLR for the trip.

    For a truly spectacular drive, try taking California 120 (which runs
    e-w north of Yosemite Valley) east through Tuolumne and over Tioga Pass to
    US395 and Mono Lake. CAVEAT: That road is always an adventure to drive --
    very steep and narrow, and often with rockfalls, so bear that in mind. But
    what you will see is well worth it.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 29, 2006
  9. its_my_dime

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:22:59 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Now I tell people the best security is to carry it with them and
    >> never set it down <g> (unless of course one encounters a mugger...)

    > How about hitting the mugger with it?

    As heavy as that old Dell was, it woulda killed a mugger <G>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 29, 2006
  10. its_my_dime

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:56:05 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> I am going into California in September again, but
    >> this time I'm driving into the Sierra Nevadas for a vacation. Might
    >> make it as far south as Yosemite. I'm hoping to borrow a friend's
    >> 8mp digital Canon SLR for the trip.

    > For a truly spectacular drive, try taking California 120 (which runs
    > e-w north of Yosemite Valley) east through Tuolumne and over Tioga
    > Pass to US395 and Mono Lake. CAVEAT: That road is always an adventure
    > to drive -- very steep and narrow, and often with rockfalls, so bear
    > that in mind. But what you will see is well worth it.

    Thanks! Is it worse than Hwy 49 between Auburn and Cool? I loved that windy
    road <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 29, 2006