    Enjoy,
    R.

    , Jan 31, 2007

  2. Thanks for posting that. Do you have any objections if I add it to my blog
    site on x64? I try to "store" things there since the newsgroups aren't here
    forever. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jan 31, 12:48 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > Thanks for posting that. Do you have any objections if I add it to my blog
    > site on x64? I try to "store" things there since the newsgroups aren't here
    > forever. :)

    Please do, I think it's worth sharing, because unlike what Kensington
    seems to think, not everyone running 64-bit XP will want to move to
    Vista, now or later.

    , Jan 31, 2007
  4. Done.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 31, 2007
  5. DP Guest

    Seems like there was someone 6 to 8 months ago who posted here with a
    problem using his mouse. Not sure it if was the Kensington Expert.
    As I recall, the person was an architect or had a similar type job and used
    very specific CAD-type program and was ticked off to find out he couldn't
    use his mouse any more. Perhaps a search would turn up his post and the
    discussion that followed.

    DP, Feb 1, 2007
  6. Hi All, it's me again. And again, I apologize in advance for improper
    protocols - I have no wish to deride anyone, but I am an aged Mechanical
    Design Engineer, and I tend to be more blunt than most.

    Since that last round, I located Itac and their Evolution, and got one for
    eval. Despite what they claim, the bearings were ratchety and jammed
    occasionally, but worst of all, the microswitches were very low quality. In
    just over 3 months use, 3 of the 6 failed completely, and one required a
    sliding activation. They got rather upset at my report, and I haven't heard
    from them since. The Evolution went to the dumpster.

    I am now using a Dell mouse provided by our IT group, there is no ID on it
    but the brand name, and a careful check of Dell's site does not locate it.
    It has 2 buttons, as common, a pair of tiny "fwd/bck" buttons I never use,
    and a scroll wheel that can accept middle-button activations.

    My situation is this: I am a Machine Design Engineer, I create mechanisms
    for aerospace industries that frequently exceed 500 parts, weigh 1200 pounds,
    and have manufacture tolerances of +/-.001 inch. I use SolidWorks, a high-end
    CAD package from Dassault, to generate 3-D models for analysis and 2-D
    drawings for manufacture. We have proven that SW2007x64 on WinXPx64 gives
    significantly better performance in speed and accuracy over 32-bit
    workstations, and we have enough federal/military/R&D contracts to justify
    the expense/savings ratio. AS a DE, reference books, pubs, and drawings are
    critical, and common, so desktop space is important, hence my preference for
    trackballs for their smaller footprint. I have also found that
    finger-movement is more easy for long periods than whole-hand translation,
    and I frequently work 60 hour weeks.

    I have seen the 3DConnexion 'SpaceBall' and various semi-clones from the
    same genus, and nixed it because I use my left hand for hot-keys,
    CTRL/ALT/SHFT mods, and light data entry.

    I must have a minimum of 3 buttons, *with* a scroll wheel, for dynamic model
    rotation and family tree manipulation. I would much prefer 4 buttons minimum
    with programmable software to allow 1 button to become double-click, set too
    fast to do it manually (ingesting large amounts of caffeine makes this really
    useful). My old Kensington Pro even allowed 2-button 'chords', which let me
    set up some really slick stuff.

    Sorry to get so verbose, but I have the original question still unanswered:

    Does anyone know of a product or technique (or combination) that would get
    me that level of functionality on my 64-bit system? I have already spent
    many man-hours and dollars searching and experimenting, but I *am* an ME and
    I don't know all the neat places to look.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, I have had to
    give up the quest, and resign myself to this (yuck-foo) mouse. Not as bad as
    Boff's Wadget, but a bit clunky.TTFN.jw

    =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=, Apr 26, 2007
  7. Jane C Guest

    This one might be worth investigating:

    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,crid=2150,contentid=5006,detail=2

    XP x64 software is available (Set Point).

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    Jane C, Apr 26, 2007
  8. Thank you, Ms. not. I have been ignoring cordless models because I'm so
    active and didn't want to mess with batteries, but at this point I need to
    adjust my criteria.

    =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=, Apr 27, 2007