Keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Green Lantern, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. I am using ME on a MSI 694D Pro-AR Dual CPU board, with a single celeron
    700mhz . The system has worked flawlessly for months. Then tonight after the
    system has been on for about an hour, it starts to reboot, over & over &
    over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over &
    over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over &
    over & over & .............well you get the idea.

    1st the system tries to reboot
    2nd it begins to go through it startup
    3rd it flips to.......
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Startup Menu
    ===============================
    1. Normal
    2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
    3. Safe mode
    4. Step-by-step confirmation

    Enter a choice:

    Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt.
    Choose Safe mode, to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers.

    When I do Safe mode.......It starts to load...does a scandisk(not
    always)......beeps......begins to reboot (#$%# 0) again....
    If I try normal mode...........same thing but no scandisk
    If I try to do a step-by-step....I answer yes( press enter for yes) for each
    question ......it starts to do a setup then it all begins like the rest.

    It is like it is caught in a startup loop.......WTF?

    Any ideas?

    The Green Lantern, Feb 1, 2004

  2. The Green Lantern

    zebraloc Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:15:25 GMT, "The Green Lantern" <>
    wrote:
    >snip<

    When I had this problem, it was a bad power supply.

    zebraloc, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Symptoms were all the same?.......or just some? If so which? What was the
    explanations to why the power supply was doing it?

    The Green Lantern, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Swapped out the power supply.....no difference.

    The Green Lantern, Feb 1, 2004
  5. "The Green Lantern" <> wrote in message
    > Swapped out the power supply.....no difference.

    Usually rebooting is a symptom of a heat problem. Are you sure that the PS
    and CPU fans are running normally? Though this could be a problem with the
    CPU. Try running the system with the case off and see if the problem is
    corrected or becomes less severe. Reseat your RAM as well and in a pinch
    with the case off try running a household fan blowing into the case to
    reduce the heat and see if that makes a difference. Also have you added any
    other peripherals like another hard drive which could be loading down the
    PS? Another hard drive should not make a difference but if you have a number
    of components already loading the PS and add some other additional
    components, the PS could be overworked. Sure sounds like heat or a PS
    problem though a virus may be causing some boot sector problems. Have you
    tried running Fdisk with the boot switch? That is FDISK /MBR which should
    clean up the Master Boot Record.

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat Ochenduszko, Feb 1, 2004
  6. The Green Lantern

    Will Guest

    The Green Lantern wrote:

    > I am using ME on a MSI 694D Pro-AR Dual CPU board, with a single celeron
    > 700mhz . The system has worked flawlessly for months. Then tonight after the
    > system has been on for about an hour, it starts to reboot, over & over &
    > over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over &
    > over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over &
    > over & over & .............well you get the idea.
    >
    > 1st the system tries to reboot
    > 2nd it begins to go through it startup
    > 3rd it flips to.......
    > Microsoft Windows Millennium Startup Menu
    > ===============================
    > 1. Normal
    > 2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
    > 3. Safe mode
    > 4. Step-by-step confirmation
    >
    > Enter a choice:
    >

    > Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt.
    > Choose Safe mode, to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers.
    >

    > When I do Safe mode.......It starts to load...does a scandisk(not
    > always)......beeps......begins to reboot (#$%# 0) again....
    > If I try normal mode...........same thing but no scandisk
    > If I try to do a step-by-step....I answer yes( press enter for yes) for each
    > question ......it starts to do a setup then it all begins like the rest.
    >
    > It is like it is caught in a startup loop.......WTF?
    >

    > Any ideas?

    I don't know for sure what it is. Try running a program called
    memtest86, it is free off the Internet and will test your memory. You
    will need a floppy to run it. You also might want to see who made your
    hard drive. Go to the manufacturers site and download a utility that
    checks the drive for errors. My best suggestion is to do all the stuff
    to it that is free so it won't cost you more than the computer is worth
    to fix.

    Will, Feb 1, 2004
  7. I will put the answers to the response in brackets after the
    question............
    "John and Pat Ochenduszko" <> wrote in message

    > "The Green Lantern" <> wrote in message
    > > Swapped out the power supply.....no difference.

    > Usually rebooting is a symptom of a heat problem. Are you sure that the PS
    > and CPU fans are running normally? (Yes) Though this could be a problem

    with the
    > CPU. Try running the system with the case off and see if the problem is
    > corrected or becomes less severe.(No Difference) Reseat your RAM as well

    and in a pinch
    > with the case off try running a household fan blowing into the case to
    > reduce the heat and see if that makes a difference.( No Difference.....CPU

    Temp is 37 C/ 98 F) Also have you added any
    > other peripherals like another hard drive which could be loading down the
    > PS?( System has a second 8Mb HDD, but that has always been installed)

    Another hard drive should not make a difference but if you have a number
    > of components already loading the PS and add some other additional
    > components, the PS could be overworked. Sure sounds like heat or a PS
    > problem though a virus may be causing some boot sector problems. Have you
    > tried running Fdisk with the boot switch? (Yes) That is FDISK /MBR which

    should
    > clean up the Master Boot Record.(Yes, if it did work, all that happened

    was I typed at the A prompt ...FDISK /MBR.....no screen utility was visable,
    sounds like it did do something though.)...........(Looks to have solved the
    problem, lost some of the drivers to the vid card , but will reinstall from
    the disk)

    The Green Lantern, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Looks like it is resolved, can't figure how there may have been a virus in
    there though. Thanks for all the help.

    The Green Lantern, Feb 1, 2004