    somewhere, and use that with the TAP?

    It's not a huge deal, but I'd prefer not to reinstall both operating systems
    just to move from the trial to the full edition of x64.
    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIE1A?=, Jul 11, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIE1A?=

    DKI Guest

    No you can not keep your XP PRO licence, you have to buy a new one if you
    do. TAP is an exchange of XP Pro for X64 and your pro licience becomes
    deactivated, if you want to keep XP PRO licience as well and have X64 you
    have to buy X64.

    DKI, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Well, it would be against the license to keep the current XP Professional
    x86 licensed installed if you used it for TAP Program, like DKI said you
    could just purchase (XP Professional) license to cover it. One thing to
    remember too, if something happens to that current XP pro x86 install, (eg.
    becomes corrupted), you can install it back, but the license will be
    deactivated and prevent future activations.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  4. If your second copy of XP that isn't installed is a retail copy, and your
    current version that is installed is also a retail copy, then you can change
    the PID. But it's easier to just trade in the one that you have "spare". You
    don't need the PID, you can use the COA that is on the box.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Sure. I understand the legallity of the transaction. But liscences and
    software are two very different things. That doesn't answer the practical
    part of actually performing the upgrade.

    Also, what exaclty does a liscence deactivation do?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIE1A?=, Jul 11, 2005
  6. Thanks! That sounds like the best option. I didn't realize the COA was on
    the box. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIE1A?=, Jul 11, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIE1A?=

    DKI Guest

    The licience deactivation is where your licience is exchanged from XP PRO
    and then the new licience covers only X64.

    If you traded in one of the XP liciences (lets use the one installed as an
    example) that copy you have to remove it and install X64, XP Pro that was on
    the machine previously can no longer be installed since its against the
    licience agreement and can no be activated by microsoft ever again. that
    will only leave you with the XP in the box that can be activated. and the
    X64 media when it arrives. so if you don't like the X64 you can not use that
    XP Pro again and have to reinstall the XP Box Media.

    (It is best to use the boxed media on TAP since its spare and not in use the
    PID or COA with the one on the machine) but the trial can not be upgraded to
    the full version and you have to do a clean format) as far as i know.

    DKI, Jul 11, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIE1A?=

    Randy Guest

    Which is why it's a great idea to keep ghost-type image backups that don'r
    require re-activation unless they time-out.

    Randy, Jul 12, 2005