    original web address for downloading any free software as I have downloaded
    all sorts of Spam to my computer using afiated sites? Thank you for any
    suggestions?

    Guest, Nov 22, 2006

  2. Guest

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:31:38 GMT, "<<Scottie>>"
    <> wrote:

    >I had to reformat my hard disk and reinstall Home XP Windows on my computer
    >because it started giving me a lot of trouble. I thought it would be easier
    >this way?

    Is that a question?

    Easier than what? What were the problems?

    >As I still have a few months left to use my McAfee anti virus and
    >McAfee QuickClean I would like to keep useing it, but, I was wondering if
    >some off you computer whiz kids out there would tell me what I can/should
    >download to keep my computer safe?

    McAffee is bloatware.

    I personally prefer Avast Anti-Virus and Sunbelt Kerio Firewall. Both
    free. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. But I doubt anyone
    would think Avast and Kerio are worse than McAffee.

    >Also would you please give me the original web address for downloading any free software as I have downloaded
    >all sorts of Spam to my computer using afiated sites? Thank you for any
    >suggestions?

    Umm google? download.com ?
    WHAT free software?

    Evan Platt, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Guest

    Butch Haynes Guest

    "<<Scottie>>" <> wrote in message
    >I had to reformat my hard disk and reinstall Home XP Windows on my computer
    >because it started giving me a lot of trouble. I thought it would be easier
    >this way? As I still have a few months left to use my McAfee anti virus and
    >McAfee QuickClean I would like to keep useing it, but, I was wondering if
    >some off you computer whiz kids out there would tell me what I can/should
    >download to keep my computer safe? Also would you please give me the
    >original web address for downloading any free software as I have downloaded
    >all sorts of Spam to my computer using afiated sites? Thank you for any
    >suggestions?

    PC Mag recently rated all the security suites- breaking out he components or
    each and rating them separately as well as providing a rating for the suites
    overall.

    I use bits and pieces from each. I use Zone Alarm for my firewall because it
    was rated the best firewall and I've got a free subscription to it. I use
    McAfee for antivirus because it is included in my ISP fee. It wasn't the top
    rated but garnered 4.5 stars out of 5-- not too shabby and certainly good
    enough...

    Butch

    Butch Haynes, Nov 22, 2006
  4. "<<Scottie>>" <> posted this esurient inquiry in

    > I had to reformat my hard disk and reinstall Home XP Windows on my
    > computer because it started giving me a lot of trouble. I thought it
    > would be easier this way? As I still have a few months left to use my
    > McAfee anti virus and McAfee QuickClean I would like to keep useing it,
    > but, I was wondering if some off you computer whiz kids out there would
    > tell me what I can/should download to keep my computer safe? Also would
    > you please give me the original web address for downloading any free
    > software as I have downloaded all sorts of Spam to my computer using
    > afiated sites? Thank you for any suggestions?

    I actually don't care much for McAfee products because they seem a little bit
    inflated in size, and when I was testing their offerings, the big thing that
    bothered me was the update setup, which went out too much for my liking - and
    then it was a little tricky to uninstall. Again, it's been awhile.

    You need a firewall better than Windows firewall so that you can monitor for
    programs going out, which Windows firewall does not do. ZoneAlarm is a widely
    used, well-respected free one.

    You need an anti-virus. AVG Free is a widely used and well respected free
    one.

    HTTP://WWW.GOOGLE.COM is a list of what you need. Google for "free anti-
    spyware scan and clean" - in fact, stick "online" in there. If you will just
    put a description of what you want in there, it will tell where to get it.
    It's really easy and user-friendly, not like all that "Boolean" stuff from
    daze gone bye.

    I like my Google so much I use it for my homepage and a spellchecker.

    Then cruise over to news:alt.comp.freeware , a group like in here, where if
    you read the most recent articles from about 300 headers or so you will find
    some really good stuff and opinions.

    This time of the year, you could also write to "Dear Santa, I really need
    some [...]" (if you tell him you have polio or disabling mother, it works
    that much the better too) and address it to "Santa Claus" "North Pole" and it
    could get some really good results too. ((o;

    Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday season.

    --

    If trees could scream,
    would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 22, 2006
  5. Guest

    Al Moran Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I had to reformat my hard disk and reinstall Home XP Windows on my computer
    >because it started giving me a lot of trouble. I thought it would be easier
    >this way? As I still have a few months left to use my McAfee anti virus and
    >McAfee QuickClean I would like to keep useing it, but, I was wondering if
    >some off you computer whiz kids out there would tell me what I can/should
    >download to keep my computer safe? Also would you please give me the
    >original web address for downloading any free software as I have downloaded
    >all sorts of Spam to my computer using afiated sites? Thank you for any
    >suggestions?

    For spam free downloads try download.com

    Al Moran, Nov 23, 2006
  6. Guest

    Plato Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I had to reformat my hard disk and reinstall Home XP Windows on my computer
    > because it started giving me a lot of trouble. I thought it would be easier
    > this way? As I still have a few months left to use my McAfee anti virus and
    > McAfee QuickClean I would like to keep useing it, but, I was wondering if
    > some off you computer whiz kids out there would tell me what I can/should
    > download to keep my computer safe? Also would you please give me the

    Free anti-virus and anti spyware apps below

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 23, 2006