    It's only recently started doing this.
    Can any one help please, is there a setting for this.
    TIA.
    Kelvin, Jul 8, 2004

  2. "Kelvin" <> wrote in message
    news:ccjvmu$l8f$...
    > Hi all.
    > How do I keep my folders in alphabetical order.
    > 80 Gig h/d partitioned into 7, Win 98SE.
    > When I access a drive, all the folders are not in
    > alphabetical order, and when I open a folder, all
    > the contents are not in alphabetical order either.
    > I know I can right click, view files etc. and they
    > will remain in order, but after a re-start they are
    > all over the place again.
    > It's only recently started doing this.
    > Can any one help please, is there a setting for this.
    > TIA.

    Open up a folder, arrange it how you like. Use the "View" menu too, there
    are some options in there.

    Next, go "Tools" then "Folder Options". In folder options go to "View",
    select additional options if you wish. Then press the button "Apply to all
    folders".

    That should set all folders to be the same as the one you were just viewing.
    Sparky Polastri, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Kelvin

    °Mike° Guest

    Close ALL Explorer windows except one. Set up
    a view as you like it. Go to Tools / Folder Options /
    View and press 'Apply to all folders'.

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:20:13 +0100, in
    <ccjvmu$l8f$>
    Kelvin scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    "Sparky Polastri" <> wrote in message

    > "Kelvin" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all.
    > > How do I keep my folders in alphabetical order.
    > > 80 Gig h/d partitioned into 7, Win 98SE.
    > > When I access a drive, all the folders are not in
    > > alphabetical order, and when I open a folder, all
    > > the contents are not in alphabetical order either.
    > > I know I can right click, view files etc. and they
    > > will remain in order, but after a re-start they are
    > > all over the place again.
    > > It's only recently started doing this.
    > > Can any one help please, is there a setting for this.
    > > TIA.
    > >

    > Open up a folder, arrange it how you like. Use the "View" menu too, there
    > are some options in there.
    >
    > Next, go "Tools" then "Folder Options". In folder options go to "View",
    > select additional options if you wish. Then press the button "Apply to

    all
    > folders".
    >
    > That should set all folders to be the same as the one you were just

    viewing.

    Hi Sparky.
    Tried that, but it doesn't work for me, in fact, when I close the drive
    letter, and
    then re-open it, they are all over the place again.
    I did notice that when I followed your procedure, it said something like
    they
    would open to these settings, but when I clicked o'k, the "Apply" on the
    previous
    window was not an option.

    Kel.
    Kelvin, Jul 8, 2004
  5. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Close ALL Explorer windows except one. Set up
    > a view as you like it. Go to Tools / Folder Options /
    > View and press 'Apply to all folders'.
    >

    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:20:13 +0100, in
    > <ccjvmu$l8f$>
    > Kelvin scrawled:
    >
    > >Hi all.
    > >How do I keep my folders in alphabetical order.
    > >80 Gig h/d partitioned into 7, Win 98SE.
    > >When I access a drive, all the folders are not in
    > >alphabetical order, and when I open a folder, all
    > >the contents are not in alphabetical order either.
    > >I know I can right click, view files etc. and they
    > >will remain in order, but after a re-start they are
    > >all over the place again.
    > >It's only recently started doing this.
    > >Can any one help please, is there a setting for this.
    > >TIA.
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Hi Mike.
    Please see my reply to Sparky.
    I don't have the "Tools" option on the top bar, just View,
    and then Folder options, then View and then the option
    "Like current Folder" but it it won't stay on that setting
    once the drive letter is closed and re-opened.

    Kel.
    Kelvin, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Kelvin

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:58:59 +0100, in
    <cck1vj$h2p$>
    Kelvin scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Close ALL Explorer windows except one. Set up
    >> a view as you like it. Go to Tools / Folder Options /
    >> View and press 'Apply to all folders'.

    <snip>

    >Hi Mike.
    >Please see my reply to Sparky.
    >I don't have the "Tools" option on the top bar, just View,
    >and then Folder options, then View and then the option
    >"Like current Folder" but it it won't stay on that setting
    >once the drive letter is closed and re-opened.
    >
    >Kel.

    Are you doing this from Start / Settings / Folder Options?
    If so, that's why it won't work. You HAVE to open a
    Windows Explorer window.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:58:59 +0100, in
    > <cck1vj$h2p$>
    > Kelvin scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Close ALL Explorer windows except one. Set up
    > >> a view as you like it. Go to Tools / Folder Options /
    > >> View and press 'Apply to all folders'.

    > <snip>
    >
    > >Hi Mike.
    > >Please see my reply to Sparky.
    > >I don't have the "Tools" option on the top bar, just View,
    > >and then Folder options, then View and then the option
    > >"Like current Folder" but it it won't stay on that setting
    > >once the drive letter is closed and re-opened.
    > >
    > >Kel.
    > >

    > Are you doing this from Start / Settings / Folder Options?
    > If so, that's why it won't work. You HAVE to open a
    > Windows Explorer window.
    > Basic computer maintenance

    >Are you doing this from Start / Settings / Folder Options?

    No.
    One explorer window open.

    Kel.
    Kelvin, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Kelvin

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:05:59 +0100, in
    <cck9dm$og$>
    Kelvin scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> Are you doing this from Start / Settings / Folder Options?
    >> If so, that's why it won't work. You HAVE to open a
    >> Windows Explorer window.

    >>Are you doing this from Start / Settings / Folder Options?

    >No.
    >One explorer window open.
    >
    >Kel.

    Assuming that you are doing things correctly, I can only
    assume a damaged registry key. Do you know how to
    perform a registry restore from DOS?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:05:59 +0100, in
    > <cck9dm$og$>
    > Kelvin scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> Are you doing this from Start / Settings / Folder Options?
    > >> If so, that's why it won't work. You HAVE to open a
    > >> Windows Explorer window.

    > >>Are you doing this from Start / Settings / Folder Options?

    > >No.
    > >One explorer window open.
    > >
    > >Kel.

    > Assuming that you are doing things correctly, I can only
    > assume a damaged registry key. Do you know how to
    > perform a registry restore from DOS?
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    >Do you know how to
    > perform a registry restore from DOS?

    Unfortunately not Mike.
    DOS is a complete mystery to me. :eek:)

    Kel.
    Kelvin, Jul 9, 2004
  10. Kelvin

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:55:11 +0100, in
    <cclq0h$t8h$>
    Kelvin scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >>Do you know how to
    >> perform a registry restore from DOS?

    >Unfortunately not Mike.
    >DOS is a complete mystery to me. :eek:)

    Boot into DOS (not a DOS window). To do this, hold
    the CTRL key at bootup and choose 'Command Prompt
    Only' from the menu. At the DOS prompt, type:

    scanreg /restore

    Choose a date prior to the problem; this is assuming
    this have occured during either the last five days, or
    the last five reboots -- Win98 backs up to 5 copies
    of the registry.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2004
  11. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:55:11 +0100, in
    > <cclq0h$t8h$>
    > Kelvin scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > >>Do you know how to
    > >> perform a registry restore from DOS?

    > >Unfortunately not Mike.
    > >DOS is a complete mystery to me. :eek:)

    > Boot into DOS (not a DOS window). To do this, hold
    > the CTRL key at bootup and choose 'Command Prompt
    > Only' from the menu. At the DOS prompt, type:
    >
    > scanreg /restore
    >
    > Choose a date prior to the problem; this is assuming
    > this have occured during either the last five days, or
    > the last five reboots -- Win98 backs up to 5 copies
    > of the registry.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Looks like I may be out of luck Mike.
    Been doing it for at least ten days, maybe
    more.
    Handy tip for the future though, thanks.
    Is this my only way out.
    Cheers.

    Kel.
    Kelvin, Jul 9, 2004
  12. Kelvin

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:57:39 +0100, in
    <ccmm93$4n5$>
    Kelvin scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Boot into DOS (not a DOS window). To do this, hold
    >> the CTRL key at bootup and choose 'Command Prompt
    >> Only' from the menu. At the DOS prompt, type:
    >>
    >> scanreg /restore
    >>
    >> Choose a date prior to the problem; this is assuming
    >> this have occured during either the last five days, or
    >> the last five reboots -- Win98 backs up to 5 copies
    >> of the registry.
    >>

    >Looks like I may be out of luck Mike.
    >Been doing it for at least ten days, maybe
    >more.
    >Handy tip for the future though, thanks.
    >Is this my only way out.
    >Cheers.

    Download this very small file, and follow the instructions
    in the readme.txt file.
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/folder.zip

    If this doesn't work, then I'm out of options.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 10, 2004
  13. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:57:39 +0100, in
    > <ccmm93$4n5$>
    > Kelvin scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> Boot into DOS (not a DOS window). To do this, hold
    > >> the CTRL key at bootup and choose 'Command Prompt
    > >> Only' from the menu. At the DOS prompt, type:
    > >>
    > >> scanreg /restore
    > >>
    > >> Choose a date prior to the problem; this is assuming
    > >> this have occured during either the last five days, or
    > >> the last five reboots -- Win98 backs up to 5 copies
    > >> of the registry.
    > >>

    > >Looks like I may be out of luck Mike.
    > >Been doing it for at least ten days, maybe
    > >more.
    > >Handy tip for the future though, thanks.
    > >Is this my only way out.
    > >Cheers.
    > >

    > Download this very small file, and follow the instructions
    > in the readme.txt file.
    > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/folder.zip
    >
    > If this doesn't work, then I'm out of options.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Hi Mike.
    Still no luck I'm affraid.
    The file merged successfully, but no change to the folders
    or their contents.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    If you ( or anyone else) can think of anything else, I'd be very grateful.
    Although the problem is not serious, it's very annoying. :eek:(
    All the best to you.

    Kel.
    Kelvin, Jul 10, 2004
  14. Kelvin

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:08:40 +0100, in
    <ccot7o$q6b$>
    Kelvin scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Hi Mike.
    >Still no luck I'm affraid.
    >The file merged successfully, but no change to the folders
    >or their contents.
    >Thanks very much for your help.
    >If you ( or anyone else) can think of anything else, I'd be very grateful.
    >Although the problem is not serious, it's very annoying. :eek:(
    >All the best to you.
    >
    >Kel.

    I have had another thought; do you have any "thumbs.db"
    files (thumnail databases, which are hidden) in your folders
    that won't display as you want? If so, try deleting them,
    repeat my original advice and try again.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 11, 2004
  15. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:08:40 +0100, in
    > <ccot7o$q6b$>
    > Kelvin scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >Hi Mike.
    > >Still no luck I'm affraid.
    > >The file merged successfully, but no change to the folders
    > >or their contents.
    > >Thanks very much for your help.
    > >If you ( or anyone else) can think of anything else, I'd be very

    grateful.
    > >Although the problem is not serious, it's very annoying. :eek:(
    > >All the best to you.
    > >
    > >Kel.

    > I have had another thought; do you have any "thumbs.db"
    > files (thumnail databases, which are hidden) in your folders
    > that won't display as you want? If so, try deleting them,
    > repeat my original advice and try again.
    >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Hi Mike.
    I think it's now finally sorted.
    Did a search for "thumbs.db" and found 168 of them.
    They went on when I installed software etc. for my
    Sharp Gx10i mobile phone.
    I've now uninstalled the software as well, and all seems
    to be o'k.
    Strange, as I have the same stuff on the laptop, and that
    is working as normal.
    At first, a re-start didn't make any difference, so then I shut
    it down completely, left it for a while, re-booted, crossed my
    fingers and, well you know the rest. :eek:)
    Can't thank you enough for your help.
    All the very best to you, and keep up the good work.

    Kel.
    Kelvin, Jul 11, 2004
  16. Kelvin

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:56:37 +0100, in
    <ccrkdj$4in$>
    Kelvin scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> I have had another thought; do you have any "thumbs.db"
    >> files (thumnail databases, which are hidden) in your folders
    >> that won't display as you want? If so, try deleting them,
    >> repeat my original advice and try again.
    >>

    >Hi Mike.
    >I think it's now finally sorted.
    >Did a search for "thumbs.db" and found 168 of them.
    >They went on when I installed software etc. for my
    >Sharp Gx10i mobile phone.
    >I've now uninstalled the software as well, and all seems
    >to be o'k.
    >Strange, as I have the same stuff on the laptop, and that
    >is working as normal.
    >At first, a re-start didn't make any difference, so then I shut
    >it down completely, left it for a while, re-booted, crossed my
    >fingers and, well you know the rest. :eek:)
    >Can't thank you enough for your help.
    >All the very best to you, and keep up the good work.
    >
    >Kel.

    Execellent, and you're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance