Keeping confidential data safe?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by AN O'Nymous, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. AN O'Nymous

    AN O'Nymous Guest

    I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
    break in in a house down the street from my place.

    My hard disks at home contain confidential research work. It is
    unlikely a thief would be able to make heads or tails of it but I
    simply can not bear the thought of it ending up in a third party. I
    also have quite a few CD/DVD backups -- about 1000+ discs, but I can't
    be bothered to go through all of them to find the ones which contain
    the most sensitive files, maybe 25 or so discs.

    I was thinking about bringing my 6 (internal) hard disks with me on my
    flight, but I am unsure whether X-rays or rough handling may corrupt
    the data. Will it? Would wrapping the hard disks in towels be OK in
    terms of shock protection?

    As for the CD/DVDs, does anyone know whether it is likely an
    opportunistic thief would steal a stack of them sitting in the corner?
    When thieves break into a house of an absent owner, do they clear out
    everything or just the expensive looking items?

    Lastly, should I strip all key files from a WWW-connected server I use
    for my numerical calculations? I am solely responsible for that
    computer's security (even signed a form saying I was) and it uses SuSE
    9.2. I keep a constant watch on it and being unable to do so for a few
    weeks makes me jittery.

    AN O'Nymous, Dec 29, 2005

  2. AN O'Nymous

    philo Guest

    AN O'Nymous wrote:
    > I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
    > break in in a house down the street from my place.
    >
    > My hard disks at home contain confidential research work. It is
    > unlikely a thief would be able to make heads or tails of it but I
    > simply can not bear the thought of it ending up in a third party. I
    > also have quite a few CD/DVD backups -- about 1000+ discs, but I can't
    > be bothered to go through all of them to find the ones which contain
    > the most sensitive files, maybe 25 or so discs.
    >
    > I was thinking about bringing my 6 (internal) hard disks with me on my
    > flight, but I am unsure whether X-rays or rough handling may corrupt
    > the data. Will it? Would wrapping the hard disks in towels be OK in
    > terms of shock protection?
    >
    > As for the CD/DVDs, does anyone know whether it is likely an
    > opportunistic thief would steal a stack of them sitting in the corner?
    > When thieves break into a house of an absent owner, do they clear out
    > everything or just the expensive looking items?

    <snip> if you are really paranoid...
    get a bank , safe-deposit box

    philo, Dec 29, 2005

  3. "AN O'Nymous" <> wrote in message
    >I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
    > break in in a house down the street from my place.
    >
    > My hard disks at home contain confidential research work. It is
    > unlikely a thief would be able to make heads or tails of it but I
    > simply can not bear the thought of it ending up in a third party. I
    > also have quite a few CD/DVD backups -- about 1000+ discs, but I can't
    > be bothered to go through all of them to find the ones which contain
    > the most sensitive files, maybe 25 or so discs.

    Disk encryption s/w like PGP will lock it down tight...

    Patrick Cleburne, Dec 29, 2005
  4. AN O'Nymous

    nemo_outis Guest

    "AN O'Nymous" <> wrote in

    Safe-deposit box.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Dec 29, 2005
  5. AN O'Nymous

    AN O'Nymous Guest

    It has less to do with paranoia, than me signing multiple documents
    explicitly saying that I am liable if anything goes wrong.

    A safe-deposit box was the first thing I thought of, but the ones I've
    seen won't hold 6 HDDs and 1000+ discs (like I said, checking 1000+
    discs for the files in question is too big a hassle).

    AN O'Nymous, Dec 29, 2005
  6. AN O'Nymous

    AN O'Nymous Guest

    Thanks, I think I'll go for this, and just take one hard disk with
    backups with me in case a thief steals my PC during the festive season.

    The 30 day trial looks good; by the time its over I will be back.

    AN O'Nymous, Dec 29, 2005
  7. AN O'Nymous

    Notan Guest

    Patrick Cleburne wrote:

    > "AN O'Nymous" <> wrote in message
    > >I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
    > > break in in a house down the street from my place.
    > >
    > > My hard disks at home contain confidential research work. It is
    > > unlikely a thief would be able to make heads or tails of it but I
    > > simply can not bear the thought of it ending up in a third party. I
    > > also have quite a few CD/DVD backups -- about 1000+ discs, but I can't
    > > be bothered to go through all of them to find the ones which contain
    > > the most sensitive files, maybe 25 or so discs.
    > >

    > Disk encryption s/w like PGP will lock it down tight...

    Anyone know if PGP will work with a RAID1 configuration?

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 29, 2005
  8. AN O'Nymous

    vernon Guest

    "nemo_outis" <> wrote in message
    > "AN O'Nymous" <> wrote in
    >
    > Safe-deposit box.
    >
    > Regards,

    The perfect, uncomplicated answer.

    vernon, Dec 30, 2005
  9. AN O'Nymous

    Donnie Guest

    "AN O'Nymous" <> wrote in message
    > I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
    > break in in a house down the street from my place.

    ##################################
    Who else did you tell besides the everyone who reads usenet?
    donnie.

    Donnie, Dec 30, 2005
  10. AN O'Nymous

    AN O'Nymous Guest

    Donnie wrote:
    > "AN O'Nymous" <> wrote in message
    > > I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
    > > break in in a house down the street from my place.

    > ##################################
    > Who else did you tell besides the everyone who reads usenet?
    > donnie.

    I'd like to see how someone can track down my physical address via
    Usenet.

    Only my neighbours know.

    AN O'Nymous, Dec 30, 2005
  11. AN O'Nymous

    JANA Guest

    You need a larger safety deposit box, or two of them!

    What you can do, is back up all your data to several sets of CD disks, and
    then format the drives. In the mean time, there would be no problem to store
    the CD disks somewhere until you can get back and then restore the data
    back.

    I would look for a place to store the drives. Many businesses back up to
    outboard drives, and then store the backup drives in a safe place.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Dec 30, 2005
  12. AN O'Nymous

    wrench Guest

    Lock them up at a locker at a bus station.

    wrench, Dec 30, 2005
  13. AN O'Nymous

    john Guest

    > As for the CD/DVDs, does anyone know whether it is likely an
    > opportunistic thief would steal a stack of them sitting in the corner?
    > When thieves break into a house of an absent owner, do they clear out
    > everything or just the expensive looking items?

    have you a loft ? a burglar in a hurry will not go up there, especially
    if the ladder is disabled and there's already a burglar alarm sounding.

    john

    john, Dec 30, 2005
  14. AN O'Nymous

    traveler 66 Guest

    On 29 Dec 2005 14:54:23 -0800, AN O'Nymous wrote:

    > Thanks, I think I'll go for this, and just take one hard disk with
    > backups with me in case a thief steals my PC during the festive season.
    >
    > The 30 day trial looks good; by the time its over I will be back.

    I agree with the previous post, full hard drive encryption should help your
    concerns the easy way, have a look at compusec, it's free and is a full
    working commercial version. They make the $$ if you get an e-key, etc, but
    if a lengthy password is good enough for you, it's free. Another one is
    drivecrypt, but you have to pay from the get go.

    I've flown several times with my laptop in hand, none of the checks will
    affect your hard drive.

    Regards

    traveler 66, Dec 30, 2005
  15. AN O'Nymous

    martin Guest

    AN O'Nymous wrote:
    > Thanks, I think I'll go for this, and just take one hard disk with
    > backups with me in case a thief steals my PC during the festive season.
    >

    > The 30 day trial looks good; by the time its over I will be back.

    E4M (encryption fo rthe masses) is probably still around on the internet
    somewhere which doesn't time expire.

    martin, Dec 30, 2005
  16. AN O'Nymous

    martin Guest

    AN O'Nymous wrote:
    > Donnie wrote:
    >
    >>"AN O'Nymous" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
    >>>break in in a house down the street from my place.

    >>##################################
    >>Who else did you tell besides the everyone who reads usenet?
    >>donnie.

    > I'd like to see how someone can track down my physical address via
    > Usenet.
    >
    > Only my neighbours know.

    You trust everyone at you ISP do you, unless you're munging headers
    you're going through Pipex? I wonder how many of their employees have
    had an enhanced PNC check. More, I wonder how many of them would be
    willing to sell this information to anyone involded in industrial espionage.

    I think you should take all your equipment back to work and lock it up
    in your office, then ask your IT security consultant to secure it for
    you at your remote site.

    martin, Dec 30, 2005
  17. AN O'Nymous

    Beachcomber Guest

    >I'd like to see how someone can track down my physical address via
    >Usenet.
    >
    >Only my neighbours know.

    A safe deposit box is a good solution, but it may not be convenient
    and, as you say, it might be subject to space limitations.

    Another possiblity... Look to the ancient Asian cultures for a
    reasonable solution. .. How did they keep their valuables safe during
    a time when their were no commercial bank vaults available.

    The answer is that they hid them, usually in secret compartments
    within their furniture or their dwelling. While this strategy may
    deter thiefs, it will not protect against fire, flood, tornados, etc.

    For that, you need a home safe, or more specifically a UL rated fire
    safe. Pack them in Tupperware to avoid water damage.

    Now if you have a well hidden fire safe on your premises, perhaps this
    is the best of both worlds.

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Dec 30, 2005
  18. AN O'Nymous

    Donnie Guest

    > > ##################################
    > > Who else did you tell besides the everyone who reads usenet?
    > > donnie.

    > I'd like to see how someone can track down my physical address via
    > Usenet.
    >
    > Only my neighbours know.

    While I wasn't able to track your address, I have tracked many others in
    various countries. So, don't think it's impossible. I hope you can trust
    your neighbors.
    donnie.

    Donnie, Dec 31, 2005
  19. AN O'Nymous

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:07:34 +0000, martin
    <> wrote:

    >AN O'Nymous wrote:
    >> Donnie wrote:
    >>
    >>>"AN O'Nymous" <> wrote in message

    >>>##################################
    >>>Who else did you tell besides the everyone who reads usenet?
    >>>donnie.

    >> I'd like to see how someone can track down my physical address via
    >> Usenet.
    >>
    >> Only my neighbours know.
    >>

    >You trust everyone at you ISP do you, unless you're munging headers
    >you're going through Pipex? I wonder how many of their employees have
    >had an enhanced PNC check. More, I wonder how many of them would be
    >willing to sell this information to anyone involded in industrial espionage.
    >
    >I think you should take all your equipment back to work and lock it up
    >in your office, then ask your IT security consultant to secure it for
    >you at your remote site.

    Well if we're going to be THAT ridiculously paranoid, we
    can't very well discount the burglars going to his office,
    nor intra-office espionage, or sabotage, or little green men
    watching from their space ship. There's a good reason a
    tin-foil hat is the time-tested solution- otherwise they'll
    know what you're thinking and always be one step ahead!

    kony, Dec 31, 2005
  20. AN O'Nymous

    AN O'Nymous Guest

    Well, in the end I think I'll settle on a Compusec-encrypted HDD and
    taking a backup CD/DVD with my critical files with me.

    I've got neighbours above and below me, both will be informed I'm gone
    and I will tell both to call the police immediately if anything goes
    wrong, so it should be OK.

    AN O'Nymous, Dec 31, 2005