    Token Ring) or to the other end (serial and tunnel), to ensure that a
    network interface is alive.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td...os122/122cgcr/finter_r/irfinter.htm#wp1017769

    R Siffredi, May 5, 2005

  2. R Siffredi

    Tony Clifton Guest

    The keepalives are layer 2 frames TO and FROM the local MAC address

    The point is that the physical link of the network is being tested
    (electrically), making sure that the router can properly encapsulate and
    send information on the line.

    As long as no framing errors, no encapsulation errors, or rejections from
    the switch (or connected device if not Ethernet), then the transmission is a
    success.

    Regards,

    //TC

    Tony Clifton, May 5, 2005

  3. R Siffredi schrieb:
    > Can someone explain further why
    > they say the IOS send message to itself for ethernet and TR?
    > Does this indicate the keepalive on the enet interface doesnot go
    > betwee interfaces?

    You have to look deep into the past. In former times, where you had to
    connect transceivers to ethernet ports on routers there was no chance to
    detect, if the ethernet is always up and running because electrically
    all was ok. With the keepalive packets the router was able to send these
    packets and to receive at the same time the same signal. If no keepalive
    packets are seen at the receive pins, ethernet is not working.

    Regards from Munich
    Stefan

    Stefan Emilius, May 5, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    R Siffredi <> wrote:

    > The following is from the link below. Can someone explain further why
    > they say the IOS send message to itself for ethernet and TR?
    > Does this indicate the keepalive on the enet interface doesnot go
    > betwee interfaces?

    Since Ethernet isn't a point-to-point medium, where else would it send
    them to?

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA