    sheep99do
    sheep99dog's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com17
    View this thread: http://unixadmintalk.com/showthread.php?t=18853

    sheep99dog, Oct 1, 2006

  2. sheep99dog

    Moe Trin Guest

    On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>, sheep99dog wrote:

    >I have a terminal that monitors the system and can't be logged out.

    I hope that the idiot who is running this web forum has provided a
    place for additional information - such as the name and version of the
    operating system you are using, but that information doesn't get to the
    Usenet newsgroup where I'm reading and replying to this thread. There
    are 38 "branded" UNIX, and that doesn't include the three *BSDs and the
    several hundred Linux distributions. They _are_ somewhat different,
    and each has it's warts and ways of doing things.

    Why does your application have to be running on a terminal in userspace?
    Start the application in the boot scripts (in a SystemV init scheme, try
    /etc/rc.d/rc.local) - you can mail the data to root as needed, and/or
    send the data to the console. There is no need for someone to run a
    terminal for this, and depending on your unidentified operating system,
    the information _may_ already be available. Try 'apropos accounting'
    or 'man -k accounting' and see what is on your system.

    >Also, usage has to be accounted for on a per user basis.

    Yeah - that's the normal way of doing things

    >I'd like to be able to keep the terminal logged in, but allow for the
    >turnover of the terminal usage across operator shifts.

    UNIX is not MS-DOS - it really does allow multiple users at the same time.

    >Any ideas? I was thinking of modifying xlock so that username and
    >password can be entered to unlock the terminal, and a record made of
    >the event.

    [compton ~]$ whatis utmp
    utmp (5) - login records
    [compton ~]$

    If your O/S configuration doesn't put data in utmp, stick a line in the
    X configuration script that runs in place of /etc/profile on login..

    >View this thread: http://unixadmintalk.com/showthread.php?t=188530

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 17,000,000 for "what is Usenet". (0.30
    seconds)

    [compton ~]$ grep comp .newsrc | grep -c unix
    168
    [compton ~]$ grep comp.unix.admin big.8.newsgroups.list.09.15.06
    comp.unix.admin Administering a Unix-based system.
    [compton ~]$

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Oct 2, 2006