    Thanks
    John

    , Aug 27, 2006

  2. selectively relayed in
    news::

    > Im stumped here and need some major help. I have DSL with a
    > wireless network. I have my main computer hard wired to the
    > router(Belkin) and two wireless computers. After connecting
    > for approx 1-2 minutes I can no longer get web pages to
    > dispaly. Keep getting times out. If I reboot the
    > computer(hardwired), router and modem I can connect for
    > another minute or so then the same happens. If I turn the hard
    > wired computer off the wireless ones work fine. But once I
    > turn the main computer on it all stops working again. I have
    > even gone so far as to completely remove the router and hook
    > the modem directly to the computer. Same thing happens. When I
    > go the the modem or router home page it says Im connected
    > though
    >
    > I contected my phone company, they say its the router(even
    > when not using the router), I contacted Belkin they say its
    > the phone company. I really need some help here, Ive tried
    > everything I can think of. I use WinXP, IE6, Firefox.
    > Any Help would be greatly apprecieated
    > Thanks
    > John

    They'll *always* say it's your router,
    and then they'll say "we don't support routers."

    That gets the tech supt rep a ticket towards his/her
    quota in ~30 seconds, or so.

    Now, if you're connecting to your network, and then
    getting bumped off somehow, it's likely your ISP,
    or you could have
    a virus/trojan/malware/booger/loose connection.

    Try this:

    Freeware > IP2 v1.03 > http://keir.net

    It will give you a readout of your LAN IP address
    and your WAN IP address, or tell you pretty much
    if you're connected to your router, and then if
    your router is connected to your ISP...

    Good place to start. Then post back with some results
    if your tech-supt is not listening.

    --
    If you're dyslexic:
    Welcome to the beginning of this article!

    Bucky Breeder, Aug 27, 2006

  3. John Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Im not really sure whats going on. I spent 2 hrs
    on the phone with my ISP's tech support. We took the router out of the
    picture and hooked my computer directly to the modem. The computer sees
    the moden and I am able to get to the modem home page and change the
    setting. Did all the ping tests and they work fine. It seem thatm Im
    connected to the internet just cant go any where. FInally as a last
    resort I took a second computer and hooked it up to the modem, and it
    works great. Its some setting with my main computer(Dell). Ive been on
    hold for over an hour.

    So far I have run norton,spyblaster, window washer, adaware and a few
    other fix it programs. No problems found. I tried reinstalling
    IE6(winxp) and restoring the defaults. Tried wthe winsoxk fix. Still no
    luck. Im at my wits end here.

    If my wifes work stuff was not ton the computer, Id just take a hammer
    to it - Id FEEL a whole lot better.
    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks
    John

    John, Aug 27, 2006
  4. John Guest

    John, Aug 27, 2006
  5. John Guest

    John, Aug 27, 2006
  6. ProfGene Guest

    wrote:
    > Im stumped here and need some major help. I have DSL with a wireless
    > network. I have my main computer hard wired to the router(Belkin) and
    > two wireless computers. After connecting for approx 1-2 minutes I can
    > no longer get web pages to dispaly. Keep getting times out. If I reboot
    > the computer(hardwired), router and modem I can connect for another
    > minute or so then the same happens. If I turn the hard wired computer
    > off the wireless ones work fine. But once I turn the main computer on
    > it all stops working again. I have even gone so far as to completely
    > remove the router and hook the modem directly to the computer. Same
    > thing happens. When I go the the modem or router home page it says Im
    > connected though
    >
    > I contected my phone company, they say its the router(even when not
    > using the router), I contacted Belkin they say its the phone company. I
    > really need some help here, Ive tried everything I can think of. I use
    > WinXP, IE6, Firefox.
    > Any Help would be greatly apprecieated
    > Thanks
    > John

    My phone company told me the same thing but my connection used to work
    fine with the router then for it while it did again then started
    intermittant breaks in the conneciton so especially since they told me
    they were working on the DSL lines I am convinced the fault is with the
    DSL line itself.

    ProfGene, Aug 28, 2006
  7. betsyb Guest

    I played this game with optonline for three weeks before the stooped over
    and decided it MIGHT be alright for them to come check the outside
    connection, they hooked up? They came and got the splitter off the wet grass
    and told me this might be what was wrong?
    I wonder why a woman's suggestion is so often turned down? No problems since
    and no charges either.

    --

    Betsy

    http://sailuk420.tripod.com